Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a UK vat number while in Ireland

Options
  • 04-08-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm abysmal when it comes to anything dealing with numbers, but I'm trying to sort out all this tax lark, and for a couple of reasons I require a UK vat number.

I am, by all accounts, self employed. I work in both Ireland and England - I have a national insurance number and a pps number.

Sorry to be so clueless - hopefully I've given enough information to help someone more knowing than myself in answering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can use your Irish VAT number in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

Why do you think you need a UK vat registration?

Do you live in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Call UK customs and excise. They handle UK VAT numbers, and they are very responsive on the phone, and they do know what they're talking about.

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/home.page

To the guys asking questions as to why, many Irish business are VAT registered in the UK. If you do business above a certain amount in any EU country, you need to be VAT registered in that country. We're registered in Ireland and in the UK. A lot of Irish businesses who sell to the UK should be VAT registered there as well as here, but are not.

One last point - UK revenue are very different to Irish revenue. Deadlines are deadlines - if you miss one by a single day, you could face penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

One last point - UK revenue are very different to Irish revenue. Deadlines are deadlines - if you miss one by a single day, you could face penalties.

There is a little breathing space with regard to income tax (though not as much as in Ireland) but VAT is strict, and the VATman audits are feared by most. Only an idiot would draw one on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

To the guys asking questions as to why, many Irish business are VAT registered in the UK. If you do business above a certain amount in any EU country, you need to be VAT registered in that country. We're registered in Ireland and in the UK. A lot of Irish businesses who sell to the UK should be VAT registered there as well as here, but are not.

It's perfectly valid to ask why someone who proclaims to be abysmal with numbers needs a VAT registration in a different country.

There are situations where a second registration is necessary, but the first step is establish if any of those apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

smeharg wrote: »
    It's perfectly valid to ask why someone who proclaims to be abysmal with numbers needs a VAT registration in a different country.

There are situations where a second registration is necessary, but the first step is establish if any of those apply.

Thanks so much for all the replies so far.

The reason I'm looking to get a UK vat number is because I have work that comes in on a contractual basis in both Ireland and England. Sometimes one; sometimes the other. It comes through an agent, and the agent requires a UK vat number.

-- to answer your previous question, I have been living in both Dublin and London. Since the summer I have been based in Ireland as I have had work over here - I'm likely be back over in the UK at some indeterminate time in the future.

That said, I need to sort myself out on the Irish front too and get an Irish vat number / register over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I contract for a UK company and use my Irish VAT number. Your agent is just being awkward it seems. The time I spend in the UK is only on short business trips tho, I am not based there.

If at all possible you want to be based and registered in ONE country. This alone creates enough paperwork/admin... You really do not want to be registered in both countries.

Note there is a big difference between B2C and B2B here. I export a lot of services to vat regd businesses in the UK, but I do not require a UK registration (because I do not collect any VAT that is due to the uk taxman). However if I was selling to UK consumers it would be different.

OP talk to an accountant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

For clarity, you can do unlimited business in the UK using an Irish VAT number provided your place of business is in Ireland. In this case there is no requirement to register in the UK, it is a fundamental of EU intra-state trading regulations. If you have a place of business in the UK, an office or shop, the situation could change.
    That you are not even registered for VAT in Ireland begs the question as to your turnover, it is above the threhold yet?
    I know you say you are inexperienced in these matters , so I would fully endorse srsly78's advice to speak to an accountant.

and Good Luck with the work!

Advertisement