Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus is220d power loss

Options
  • 04-08-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,

Need some help with my Lexus is220d 2006, been having sleepless night over it. My turbo on the car kicks in about 1-2 rpm, but as soon as I put my foot down and it goes over 60-70 mph the car starts jumping like its going to stall. When it happens I let the pedals go and it goes back to normal.

It first happened in 5th gear just going over 70mph and the in 6th gear, today it happened in 3rd gear when I put my foot down and reaching 50mph.

Could it be the air flow, or is it something more serious, if someone could help me please. It's killing me just bought the car a week ago with 113000 miles on it.

Thanks, Mo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭staples7

Hi,

Ive had the exact same problem with my is220d yesterday. Like you I only have mine in the last 3 weeks. Its a 06 originally UK model. 80k on the clock. As its a bank holiday weekend cant take it to a lexus dealer till Tuesday. Tried disconnecting the battery etc. Very worried at the moment. Please keep me posted how you get on. It seems to go into different sorts of limp mode, Was able to drive back from kerry ok today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

EGR valve most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mozan

Hi, staples7

My problem is still ongoing, last night I called the AA out to check it out. They came round plugged in the computer and could not find anything wrong, the AA man advised me to go to lexus and get it checked out (cost me an arm and a leg).

But coming to work today my engine management light came plus traction control light and on the display it was saying CHECK VSC.

My heart just sank, called the AA again, they came out plugged the computer in. There was an error message P2002 - DIESEL PARTICULATE FILLTER EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1.

The advise from AA man was to take it on the motor way for 30 min and keep it over 3000rpm and it should burn the durt out, but saying that he did say this is the first stage of the problem, and if ignored the car will go into limp mode (safe mode). My lights were reset.

AA man advised me to run it on the motorway, clean it up and sell the car. Or it will end up costing me £1000-£2000 if it goes into limp mode.

Really liked the car, but to much money invested into it, can't take the risk. Car will be going on sale ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭sheehan12

could be why the last owner sold it

That's what I'm thinking, i bought the car on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Mozan wrote: »
    Hi, staples7

My problem is still ongoing, last night I called the AA out to check it out. They came round plugged in the computer and could not find anything wrong, the AA man advised me to go to lexus and get it checked out (cost me an arm and a leg).

But coming to work today my engine management light came plus traction control light and on the display it was saying CHECK VSC.

My heart just sank, called the AA again, they came out plugged the computer in. There was an error message P2002 - DIESEL PARTICULATE FILLTER EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1.

The advise from AA man was to take it on the motor way for 30 min and keep it over 3000rpm and it should burn the durt out, but saying that he did say this is the first stage of the problem, and if ignored the car will go into limp mode (safe mode). My lights were reset.

AA man advised me to run it on the motorway, clean it up and sell the car. Or it will end up costing me £1000-£2000 if it goes into limp mode.

Really liked the car, but to much money invested into it, can't take the risk. Car will be going on sale ASAP.
    Sounds like the diesel particle filter has excess dirt built up the AA man adviced you right drive the car up the motorway at high revs and this will heat the car up and burn off the dirt particles. This may be linked to the loss of power as the particle filter is blocked but Im not sure try it on the motorway. Limp mode is when the car reduces power to save vital parts. The car can activate limp home mode for many different reasons. If the car is still acting up go to a Lexus dealer they would know best.

Hi, bpmull

The car is driving fine, just now and then with the cutting out but not cutting out, after the reset of the lights I sat in the car and reved it over 3000rpm for about 5 min. The car started smelling like clutch or burnt rubber, the car automatically took the revs down under 3000. The lights haven't come back yet.

I was to scared to continue.

Hi, bpmull

The car is driving fine, just now and then with the cutting out but not cutting out, after the reset of the lights I sat in the car and reved it over 3000rpm for about 5 min. The car started smelling like clutch or burnt rubber, the car automatically took the revs down under 3000. The lights haven't come back yet.

I was to scared to continue.

To be honest to probably clean out the filter you have to drive the car at at least 60 mph and rev over 3000 just reving the car wouldn't be enough to clean it out and still wouldn't get hot enough. However if you don't feel comfortable to drive it just wait and bring it to a Lexus dealer. However don't drive the car around town until the particle filter is cleaned otherwise the particle filter will get worse and be beyond repair and have to be replaced and your talking big money at least 1000 euro and probably more. If you are not going to bring it up the motorway at high speed 120kph and high revs for half an hour at least best thing to do is don't drive it at all and just consult with the garage on tuesday as you don't want to make it worse.

Bpmull wrote: »
    To be honest to probably clean out the filter you have to drive the car at at least 60 mph and rev over 3000 just reving the car wouldn't be enough to clean it out and still wouldn't get hot enough. However if you don't feel comfortable to drive it just wait and bring it to a Lexus dealer. However don't drive the car around town until the particle filter is cleaned otherwise the particle filter will get worse and be beyond repair and have to be replaced and your talking big money at least 1000 euro and probably more. If you are not going to bring it up the motorway at high speed 120kph and high revs for half an hour at least best thing to do is don't drive it at all and just consult with the garage on tuesday as you don't want to make it worse.
    I got to take the car home that's about 10miles away, and I'll do a circuit on the M25, is there any signs I should watch out for?

It has never happened on our car but if it is the dpf as the AA man says then a hard drive down the motorway not saying to break the speed limits just keep the revs high should burn of all particles and therefore solve your problem.what happens is the engine gets hot and burns of the particles which if around town the engine doesn't get hot and the particles build up. If you do this drive and the car is still acting up don't do anything else just bring it to the garage. But if it's a dpf problem the drive should sort it out. As suggested above could be a egr airflow metre but as the fault came up as dpf clogged its unlikely it's the egr. Try the drive and tell us how you get on

• Advertisement

It has never happened on our car but if it is the dpf as the AA man says then a hard drive down the motorway not saying to break the speed limits just keep the revs high should burn of all particles and therefore solve your problem.what happens is the engine gets hot and burns of the particles which if around town the engine doesn't get hot and the particles build up. If you do this drive and the car is still acting up don't do anything else just bring it to the garage. But if it's a dpf problem the drive should sort it out. As suggested above could be a egr airflow metre but as the fault came up as dpf clogged its unlikely it's the egr. Try the drive and tell us how you get on
    Thanks for your help, I will update you on how it goes. Let's go and top up the tank now.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help, I will update you on how it goes. Let's go and top up the tank now.

Thanks again.

I disconnected the battery for 10 mins and took it for a hard 10 min spin. All ok. But like Mozan said ill prob see it back on the drive to work in the morning. I could be in the same situation with previous owner offloading a problem..... :( will keep posted also

As a matter of interest, anyone know places that I can take the car to get the problem code read in cork thats reasonable or should I just take the hit and go to lexus dealership? Also will the computer show the issue if the light has now gone off???? Thanks guys

staples7 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, anyone know places that I can take the car to get the problem code read in cork thats reasonable or should I just take the hit and go to lexus dealership? Also will the computer show the issue if the light has now gone off???? Thanks guys

Which lights were coming on out of interest

On the motorway as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

driving and texting ???:eek:

Which lights were coming on out of interest

Check VSC message, traction control light and engine light. Went on the south ring this morning for a good run this morning in 4th gear 3000rpm, no sign of issue and warnings have not come back. Wont take any chances though and will get a diagnostic kit on it in tomorrow

staples7 wrote: »
    Check VSC message, traction control light and engine light. Went on the south ring this morning for a good run this morning in 4th gear 3000rpm, no sign of issue and warnings have not come back. Wont take any chances though and will get a diagnostic kit on it in tomorrow

thats the best thing to do bring it to a garage and get it checked over. hopefully the drive solved the problem as it could of been as a clogged dpf and the car just needed a good drive.

Hi all

After doing 65 on the motor way over 3000rpm on 3rd gear for an hour, the car seems to be driving ok. No lights have come on as of yet. Just to be on the safe side i will be cleaning the egr and change the diesel pump. Will update if anything comes up.

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    driving and texting ???:eek:
    I was the passenger, had my friend driving. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

good lad;)

Hi all,

Something else is happening to the car now, every time I drive it I can smell burning or something like that. It might be that thing burning off in the diesel filter which the AA man was talking about. But the smell starts as soon as the car is started.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks.

As it happens Ive an update too. After 2 days driving without any issues took the car into Lehane motors in Wilton just to be safe(They are now the Lexus dealer for cork as Keary's lost it) They ran the computer diagnosis and because I had disconnected the battery the code had been lost. But they knew the chances were it was the EGR valve anyway. Let the car with them for the day. They showed me the EGR totally blocked with soot, so the cleaned that out and regenerated the Particle filter also. Hooked the computer up for half an hour while it was running and then test drove it. He reckons ill see a power difference also and that this solves the issue in 9/10 cases. So heres hoping. Only other thing I notice but this may change is that Im only getting 30MPG after he's don't this (Not driving her hard at all) whereas before it would be 40mpg. Lehane's charged me 120 euros and were very good I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 1 s4ever143

Hi all,

Something else is happening to the car now, every time I drive it I can smell burning or something like that. It might be that thing burning off in the diesel filter which the AA man was talking about. But the smell starts as soon as the car is started.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks.

hi mozan
    i have got lexus is 220d 2007 bought few weeks ago i have got the same code p2002,i was reading your post ,just want know what happened to your car then is it drives ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Bit of a zombie thread, but I test drove two 2007 Lexus IS220Ds this week with this same problem; wouldn't rev past 2000rpm, absolutely no pull (dangerous coming out of junctions), and 4 seconds (I counted!) of turbo lag.
    Both cars had fuel light on, sales guys at garages suggested it might be limp mode from having no fuel (?!) or a clogged EGR valve. Second place brought it round to a mechanic around the corner while I waited; he plugged in his code reader, and revved the nuts off it in neutral. A dirty great bucket of filty sooty water came out the back, along with a lane-full of nasty smoke. Appeared to be a little happier afterwards, but not so much garage would let me actually drive it..

Trying a 3rd one tomorrow, but given Lexus' reputation for reliability, it's all very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Had this problem exactly one year ago. Took it to 3 different garages with no luck. They tried forced regens to clear the DPF filter with no luck, was told I would need to take it to a main dealership and was quoted about €1,500 to €2,000 to fix it. the problem had been going on about 3 weeks and I was at my wits end with it when a friend suggested a buy Wynn's Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaner in Halfords as he had the same problem and it fixed it for him. At only €13 for the bottle I was only happy to try it out. So I put it in the diesel tank with a fill of Diesel drove it on a dual carriage way for 10 mins and disconnected and reconnected the battery. problems went away and only came back yesterday. It says to add the DPF cleaner to the tank every 3 months so will get a bottle of it today and do the same. Hope this helps as I know how frustrating this can be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement