Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dutch Gold is good

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the wannabe connoisseurs here.

Seems to be fairly prevalent around here. I drink beer because I like the taste of it. I like the taste of Heinekin, Tyskie, Tuborg, and Smithwicks. So I drink it. Nothing more to it.
    I hate people trying to force shít down your throat about how you should go around trying all the "classy" beers on the shelf in supervalu and that what I drink is horse piss and Im misguided.
    I have tried some of the "fancier" beers, didnt like them, and have gone back to my usuals. Why do they have such a problem with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Seems to be fairly prevalent around here. I drink beer because I like the taste of it. I like the taste of Heinekin, Tyskie, Tuborg, and Smithwicks. So I drink it. Nothing more to it.
    I hate people trying to force shít down your throat about how you should go around trying all the "classy" beers on the shelf in supervalu and that what I drink is horse piss and Im misguided.
    I have tried some of the "fancier" beers, didnt like them, and have gone back to my usuals. Why do they have such a problem with this?

Yeah but the thing is, dutch is rat piss.
    That's been watered down.

I can even take bud as a first can and can manage to drink it all night.
    The only people I know who "like" dutch are the ones that are used to it (which is fine) or the ones that don't have money to get anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the thing is, dutch is rat piss.
    That's been watered down.

I can even take bud as a first can and can manage to drink it all night.

QFP - This will be on the internet forever and your grand children are gonna laugh at you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

later12 wrote: »
    I hate, hate, hate beer snobbery. It used to be the only beverage type to have escaped the clutches of the pedantic and the pretentious. Such was its very character and purpose - to be relaxed, laid back, not giving a f*ck.

Personally, yes I agree that there are a number of continental beers available on the market which are far more palatable than some of the old stock (Heineken, Carlsberg, Smithicks, Harp (lol), and so on).

But I'm also sick of having a trip to the pub with co-workers turning into an "Obscure Beers of the World Treasure Hunt" for the sake of it. It is getting slightly mad. I really don't care that your beer tastes "floral, with full, cherry aromas and the sharpness of pin to pull it all together. I don't care that this beer was produced by hand in one of the legendary small london breweries... I don't give a shit about how hard it is to find.

I just want beer that tastes nice, so we can move on and talk about something else. I really think some people are just discovering Headless Dog and Desperados and quite losing the run of themselves.

QTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Got to love self styled beer experts. They would tell you Heineken is sh1te, guaranteed if you gave them a Heineken bottled in something labelled Haaflenschoonen, apparently brewed from a 15 century recipe by some monks outside Arnhem, they would tell you it was real beer :pac:

Funniest for me is muppets who laud Budvar but hate Budweiser, despite there being relatively little difference between the pair of them apart from the tangier taste due to Budvars slightly higher alcohol level.

Amazingly, the only reasonably drinkable Australian beer is Fosters, which bizarrley is not sold anywhere on tap in Australia (it is even pretty rare in off licences)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Fosters is for export only as far as Aussies is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fosters is for export only as far as Aussies is concerned.

That's right, When I visited Oz people would look at you sideways if you inquired about Fosters. Castlemaine was their beer of choice.

. Castlemaine was their beer of choice.

Of all their awful beers this one must be the worst. It is pretty bizarre that the apparently macho manly culture of Queensland is fuelled by 3.4% strength toilet water :confused:

Of all their awful beers this one must be the worst. It is pretty bizarre that the apparently macho manly culture of Queensland is fuelled by 3.4% strength toilet water :confused:

Not too bad on tap though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

RumDrinker wrote: »
    I usually drink rum. I can easily say I'm in love with it, but today I decided to get a sixpack of Dutch Gold - for a change. I have to admit - it tastes very good, unfortunately I've heard/ read loads of stories that would associate this drink with skangers. Do skangers have good taste for beer so? Or.... I like it because I'm one myself??

Shiver...I always drank dutch gold because it was cheap but I went off it for life last week because no matter where I purchased it from the cans were bad. The taste of it has gone really bad and it might be the heat thats messing with it or it's slops that are used this time of year for the Irish market, really really nasty taste off it so am on the tuborg now and at least tuborg is clean enough and tastes fine. More than likely i'd say the dutch gold is slops though, never again will I drink that stuff.

Not too bad on tap though.

Horrible stuff either way, never had a flatter beer in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I drink absolutely anything you put in front of me. There's nothing I don't like.

The best rum I've ever had was in grand cayman, its called big black dick. Absolutely gorgeous. And I'm not a rum drinker.

I'd normally drink red wine, vodka or beer.

Haven't had dutch gold since I was about 16!

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I drink absolutely anything you put in front of me. There's nothing I don't like.

The best rum I've ever had was in grand cayman, its called big black dick. Absolutely gorgeous. And I'm not a rum drinker.

I'd normally drink red wine, vodka or beer.

Haven't had dutch gold since I was about 16!

I was in Grand Caymam in 09, they had a delicious liquor known as Parrot Bay that we sampled during our stay. I'm not even sure what it was, I presume some type of rum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I was in Grand Caymam in 09, they had a delicious liquor known as Parrot Bay that we sampled during our stay. I'm not even sure what it was, I presume some type of rum.

I was there in 07, parrot bay is captain morgans I think. Have to say its gorgeous!!

Also captain morgans, black tattoo :) should see if I can get it here...

Going to America in 3 weeks, my case will be full of nothing but booze coming home lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

never drank dutch mould but I imagine if you drink it very cold it'd be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Hmm, I always thought Dutchie was insulation for just the brass monkeys (the walking dead)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Meh. I've had far worse beers in my time.
    Try Excelsior from Lidl. :eek:
    It tastes almost like someone created a beer which filled half the can, pissed in it to pad it out and fill the other half, and threw in some powdered dog sh!te as flavoring. Then consumed it, waited for it to pass through their system and crapped it back into the can for the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Dutch Gold is horrible. Tuborg is a good cheap beer.

Tooheys New is a good OZ beer in OZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Funniest for me is muppets who laud Budvar but hate Budweiser, despite there being relatively little difference between the pair of them apart from the tangier taste due to Budvars slightly higher alcohol level.

nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Katunga wrote: »
    Dutch Gold is horrible. Tuborg is a good cheap beer.

Tooheys New is a good OZ beer in OZ.
    Yeah Tooheys New was my drink of choice in Australia, also a bit of Carlton on tap was nice. That VB they go mad for is pure shíte though.

I've no problem with Dutchie tbh, I went off it for a while after my teens, but it was mostly because I'd been drinking warm cans of it in a mucky field so it always reminded me of being really ill.

Got a few bottles of Grolsch on special the other day and they were fairly nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Dutch Gold tastes like a wet dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

All of these lagers taster approximately the same. Compare to the clear differences across the ale family, for instance. Not that I dont drink Lagers, they go down easier so I do when getting drunk, rather than for the taste. But they are all the same general taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

All of these lagers taster approximately the same. Compare to the clear differences across the ale family, for instance. Not that I dont drink Lagers, they go down easier so I do when getting drunk, rather than for the taste. But they are all the same general taste.
    Really find it hard to get an ale I can drink, I got a bottle of Youngs London Ale before and it was deliciousbut I haven't been able to get it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Dutch gold is kack that gives you an awful hangover! Bavaria is a nice cheap beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Meh. I've had far worse beers in my time.
    Try Excelsior from Lidl. :eek:
    It tastes almost like someone created a beer which filled half the can, pissed in it to pad it out and fill the other half, and threw in some powdered dog sh!te as flavoring. Then consumed it, waited for it to pass through their system and crapped it back into the can for the finished product.
    Very good description

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

I've gone through numerous Dutchie stages in my life, all money dependant. Just make sure its really cold and only drink 3/4 of the can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I drank Dutch Gold for years, was always my drink of choice started out of necessity and continued even after my bank balance padded out, its cheap cheerful and does exactly what it says on the tin, im not sitting round the coffee table with my mates discussing the finer merits of the shiny figure on the can or the depth of flavour which denotes woody undertones(Back to Dun Laoghaire you snobs)

Its a beer straight and simple....and i lurves it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Dutch Gold is awesome
    for drowning slugs and snails.

Lil fúckers love the stuff and given that there seems to be a bazillion of them this year
    I'd be broke buying slug pellets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

To the tune of rui di silvas 'touch me'

Dutch me in the morning
    And last thing at night
    6 for 7 euro-o
    I'm feeling it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

war_child wrote: »
    I drank Dutch Gold for years, was always my drink of choice started out of necessity and continued even after my bank balance padded out, its cheap cheerful and does exactly what it says on the tin, im not sitting round the coffee table with my mates discussing the finer merits of the shiny figure on the can or the depth of flavour which denotes woody undertones(Back to Dun Laoghaire you snobs)

Its a beer straight and simple....and i lurves it :cool:

Theres loads of working class in Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Amazingly, the only reasonably drinkable Australian beer is Fosters, which bizarrley is not sold anywhere on tap in Australia (it is even pretty rare in off licences)

You have no taste. Carlton Crown is much nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

To the tune of rui di silvas 'touch me'

Dutch me in the morning
    And last thing at night
    6 for 7 euro-o
    I'm feeling so tight

Fixed :pac:

...Dutchie is ~meh...alright when its really cold (like anything), I do buy it sometimes but I don't think I've ever gotten to the sixth can and felt good...it fooks you up terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I'm quite into my beers - my regular pub is a craft beer pub. My usual tastes would be ales (red or pale) and wheat beers, but if I'm having a night on the cans, Bavaria is one of my favourites! It's probably what I'd go for over the other cans almost all the time now... it's just a stigma surrounding it, it's actually quite decent, definitely far surpasses the likes of Budweiser or Heineken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Red ale and pale ale. Yes sir, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

all beer tastes pretty gank to me. Dutch Gold didn't stand out as any more any more awful.

I'll tell you what though, the Dutch have never heard of it and seem to think the little dude is an offensive stereotype- which is pretty bizarre.

Advertisement