Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the big move to oz!!

Options
  • 04-08-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

can anybody give me some advice, i'm thinking of moving over to oz my partner been over there since December working on a year working visa and has been offered sponsorship and wants me to join him and the only thing that holding me back is that i have an 8 yr old son and i'm terrified he is going to hate it and hate me for taking him away from family, friends etc...Also school cost are meant to be very expensive.

i know things aren't going to improve here anytime soon work wise and work seems to be plentiful in oz, but its a massive decision and one i'm not going to make lightly. just wondering if anyone else has been in my position or could offer any advice to help me make biggest decision of my life :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The grass is always greener.
    If there's no family or support here, it is a huge transition. That said, children adapt quite quickly. Public school is free, catholic 1- a couple of grand depending on school, private $$$$

Think about how close you are with immediate family and friends in Ireland, do you see them daily, weekly? This will be your biggest hurdle when you get here.
    If you've never been to Australia, the first few weeks will be a steep learning curve but nothing too strange, plus your partner has been here awhile and knows the ropes.

It's a big decision yes but if you've nothing to lose, come out here. You can always go home if it doesn't work out

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You only have to pay school fees if you are on a 457 in NSW and I think ACT. Public schooling for 457 is free-ish everywhere else. Your son will probably adapt easier than you, kids are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sadie1712

Thanks for advice yes i have great relationship wit family and see them nearly every second day, my partner and I have decided that myself and my son are going over to him for a month at x-mas and see how we feel about the country been away from family etc.. Its just such a big decision and i would have to give up a lot to move over but i'm miserable here without my partner and the work situation is only getting worse here it will b years before things start to pick up from the recession and i honestly think my son would have better life in oz... Good to know about schools fees. Is healthcare very expensive over there my sons has asthma and is on medication daily and regularly has to attend the doctors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

sadie1712 wrote: »
    my sons has asthma and is on medication daily and regularly has to attend the doctors?
    My wife's asthma has really improved since we moved to Perth, the drier warm air suits her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Is it a 457 visa that your partner is being sponsored under or is he being sponsored as a permanent resident? Will you be named as his de-facto partner on his visa application and your son as your dependent or are you getting your own visa? This will matter because if you are coming on his 457 you will have to pay more for education, healthcare, insurance... There is also the difficulty involved should your partner loss his job or want to leave his job with you all on his 457 Visa.
    Personalty I wouldn't be taking a child with me all the way over here unless I knew I was going to have permanent residence.

With regards to the upheaval for your son I honestly don't think it will be so bad. He is still at an age where making friends is easy and you could easily get him excited at the idea of the good weather, surfing, seeing kangaroos and other Australian wildlife. I think your right to do the holiday first but don't let the decision on moving be up to his feelings on moving after the holiday.

I wouldn't worry about your child as much as I would worry about you. If you are that close to your family at home it is going to be very difficult to be so far away for so long. The cost involved in flying home means that for most people it is a yearly or bi yearly event to get back. You may find your child copes with moving over here a lot better then you do.

Edit: Having re read what I typed I may seem a bit negative which was not my intention and would like to add that I think Australia is a fantastic place to live and would be happy to raise a child here although I find being away from home tough some times I totally think that what I have gained through living here more than makes up for what I have lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sadie1712

All infomation you have giving has been very helpfull we haven't decided what way we are going to go visa wise we are looking into all our options there is so much to consider and its hard when you are new to it all and don't really know what your doing. I've been online trying to get information but its all so confusing so I think i'm going to look forward to spending christmas with my family in oz:) and see how that goes and make a decision when i come back.

Really appreciate all your replies

Advertisement