Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCambridges Restaurant

Options
  • 04-08-2012 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Herself suggested that we give it a try today so I said, fair enough.

I must have read the menu ten times over and still couldn't find something I liked so I settled on some class of a sandwich (that cost me the best part of ten yo yos). Herself (having the figure of a supermodel and appetite to match ordered a salad).

She was happy. I wasn't! Afterwards her indoors said she was going to head up to Moons to buy some warpaint and I said (lied) that I would browse around Easons. When she was out of sight, I headed into Mikey Ds for a Big Mac and Chips (large), I was that hungry.

Jaysus you wouldn't want to be relying on that place for something to eat after a feed of pints. Not only was it the most poncyest menu I ever saw, I was still hungry afterwards.

Anyone have any similiar opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

scholar007 wrote: »

I must have read the menu ten times over and still couldn't find something I liked so I settled on some class of a sandwich (that cost me the best part of ten yo yos). Herself (having the figure of a supermodel and appetite to match ordered a salad).

She was happy. I wasn't! Afterwards her indoors said she was going to head up to Moons to buy some warpaint and I said (lied) that I would browse around Easons. When she was out of sight, I headed into Mikey Ds for a Big Mac and Chips (large), I was that hungry.

Jaysus you wouldn't want to be relying on that place for something to eat after a feed of pints. Not only was it the most poncyest menu I ever saw, I was still hungry afterwards.

Thought food was lovely, but very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I love sitting outside there with my sandwich and tea. Went upstairs for linch and thought it was nothing you couldn't really get downstairs for half the price. If you don't mind sitting out front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Generally the posher somewhere is (or attempts to be), the less chance of a square meal you are going to get. Avoid places that needlessly describe dishes in foreign languages.

McDonalds is awful for filling you up as well though. Leaves you stuffed for about twenty minutes before you're hungry again!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm kinda picking that lads after a feed or pints aren't their target market. :D

I've seen their menu, but not eaten there (yet). Trust me, there are "poncier" menus around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm kinda picking that lads after a feed or pints aren't their target market. :D

I've seen their menu, but not eaten there (yet). Trust me, there are "poncier" menus around town.

Yeah like that mixt greens place - Like whats the Jacanory - Do these people not realise that there is a recession on? Yet these so called haut cuisine places spring up and try and charge ya the best part of ten yo yos for a fupping sambo.

All a lad wants is a good value feed of spuds and a bit of an animal with lashings of gravy - Is it that difficult? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Honest food in good portions is looked down on these days. Recession or no recession, there is more money to be made in pretentious organic this and that in a French name than there is in salt of the earth food.

In fairness, the idea of dining out is usually to enjoy food you wouldn't make yourself. I try to avoid meals I usually make as it's rare I'll find a version better than my own (not that I'm a great cook, just that I make it exactly how I like).

Honest food in good portions is looked down on these days. Recession or no recession, there is more money to be made in pretentious organic this and that in a French name than there is in salt of the earth food.

In fairness, the idea of dining out is usually to enjoy food you wouldn't make yourself. I try to avoid meals I usually make as it's rare I'll find a version better than my own (not that I'm a great cook, just that I make it exactly how I like).

Actually, you are dead right. The more I looked at that menu today, the more visions I had of myself out in the field / river / sea / mountain trying to milk a blóody animal and to mow a few salad leaves to go with it.

Anyway while herself was up in Moons beautifying herself and hopefully picking up something lacey (lol) - I indulged in Micky Ds and thankfully it filled me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

i take it, if she hasn't shown ya the somethin lacy by now, it isn't happenin. Maybe she was put off by the smell of cheap micky(d) on your breath. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

TL DR; I ate 2 meals and still not satisfied. PS. 'Moons' ran out of XXL mens t-shirts, better sue them so they must change trading name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never knew they had a restaurant. Thought the front bit was just for drinking coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

got soup (massive portion), and a sandwich (chicken bacon and some fancy cheese) up there a week or so ago. came in round €12 so a bit pricey but can't say i wasn't absolutely stuffed and it was really nice. my girlfriend enjoyed it too, but ya not a spot for a hungover head in need of a feeding.

Never knew they had a restaurant. Thought the front bit was just for drinking coffee.
    Opened a few weeks ago, I think. Upstairs (they installed stairs into the shop).

Lads on the lash should give it a miss.
    Ladies who lunch should give it a try.

Couples ... well the way we work it, I suffer old-man pubs some of the time, he suffers poncy cafes some of the time. Works for us. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Herself (having the figure of a supermodel

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say:

Pics or GTFO!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Why are you speaking like a cockney? Are you a cockney?:confused:

As for 'poncy', I doubt the place is set up to cater for people who judge value on volume, not quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

I had Breakfast, It was lovely, it cost around €9 , however I had to pay extra for coffee, it is like in Ard Bia . I think that it should include tea or coffee otherwise breakfast can cost up to €10.50 which is too expensive , we should all complain when this happens, we have a bad habit of paying and then complaining afterwards ( including myself)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's a serious pet peeve of mine when breakfast doesn't include a tea/coffee/oj.

Why are you speaking like a cockney? Are you a cockney?:confused:

As for 'poncy', I doubt the place is set up to cater for people who judge value on volume, not quality.

Cockney? :confused: - Look you lash out nearly ten yo yos for a feed - You expect to be full, yes?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cockney? :confused: - Look you lash out nearly ten yo yos for a feed - You expect to be full, yes?

Depends on your definition of full me aul' china. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If Finnegans is what you consider to be a good meal experience then id suggest staying away from anywhere else in town as you wont get an equivalent mank slopped up anywhere else really. Know one the Polish girls working there too who can never understand how its always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If Finnegans is what you consider to be a good meal experience then id suggest staying away from anywhere else in town as you wont get an equivalent mank slopped up anywhere else really. Know one the Polish girls working there too who can never understand how its always busy.

We just go in to perv at the polish girls working there

• Advertisement

It looks "Orirsh" from outside, so has a certain tourist appeal.

And for repeat business, it caters for a certain category of Ireland's finest. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd never go to McDonalds for a feed. You're hungry again by the time you get to the door in that place.
    McCambridges sell higher end, high quality food at prices above your average supermarket.
    I'd have imagined that if they were going to sell food to be consumed on the premises,it would be to the same criteria.
    We all have different standards that we expect and levels of quality we demand.
    You've found yours in microscopic fries and wafercut burgers. Enjoy. And leave the better dining experience who don't judge their meals by volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McCambridges was never a place for people to get a "feed on".
    Stick to the pubs and carveries, big portions cheap. Spuds and meat, and some carrots on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'd never go to McDonalds for a feed. You're hungry again by the time you get to the door in that place.
    McCambridges sell higher end, high quality food at prices above your average supermarket.
    I'd have imagined that if they were going to sell food to be consumed on the premises,it would be to the same criteria.
    We all have different standards that we expect and levels of quality we demand.
    You've found yours in microscopic fries and wafercut burgers. Enjoy. And leave the better dining experience who don't judge their meals by volume.

mc cambridges seems to sell the exact same breads as the bakery down the street - however, It enthralls me when I see each bread/scone item marked up by 20, 30 cent, - for what - somebody transferring it from one shop to the other? Thankfully I know the shops that "stock" mccambridge so I shop there instead. Saves loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

Fairly new to Galway (relocated with work from Dublin) but have to say McCambridges definitely makes the best rolls/sandwiches in town which is borne out of the breads and fillings available, just pipping Gourmet Tart which is great value and tasty.
    Was up in the restaurant last week, prices are always going to be that bit higher but it's a treat and when the food matches it, I'm always happy to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yes I was in there once and the best I can say about it is, you get what you pay for.
    I won't be repeating the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Hi,

I still stand for what I said previously. If you pay €9 for breakfast , it should include at least tea , otherwise its too expensive.

mc cambridges seems to sell the exact same breads as the bakery down the street - however, It enthralls me when I see each bread/scone item marked up by 20, 30 cent, - for what - somebody transferring it from one shop to the other? Thankfully I know the shops that "stock" mccambridge so I shop there instead. Saves loads.

Easily pleased, huh! :D

But assuming you mean "annoys" or even "enrages", how do you feel when you see that Dunnes sells the exact same loaf of bread as Lidl, for 50c more? For what .. having it delivered to a shop that has a flasher interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

JustMary wrote: »
    Easily pleased, huh! :D

But assuming you mean "annoys" or even "enrages", how do you feel when you see that Dunnes sells the exact same loaf of bread as Lidl, for 50c more? For what .. having it delivered to a shop that has a flasher interior.

no, I did mean enthrall, - it enthralls me to think that people are shopping at an "upmarket" store when in fact the only "upmarket" thing about it is the price. That enthralls me no end. Walk twenty seconds away and there you have the same item without the "upmarket" store charge.

well, that might enthrall me too just mary if I shopped at Dunnes - however I have been shopping at aldi/lidl for the past few years and have no intention of being fleeced because of flashier lighting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I have eaten there a few times since it opened. I eat sandwiches from the shop maybe twice a week but upstairs is definitely targeting a different market. I think the room is great, food is comparable to lots of other cafes around the town. Hard to get a seat and service has a few teething problems but should be fairly decent addition after a few months

Advertisement