Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCambridges Restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Easily pleased, huh! :D

But assuming you mean "annoys" or even "enrages", how do you feel when you see that Dunnes sells the exact same loaf of bread as Lidl, for 50c more? For what .. having it delivered to a shop that has a flasher interior.

no, I did mean enthrall, - it enthralls me to think that people are shopping at an "upmarket" store when in fact the only "upmarket" thing about it is the price. That enthralls me no end. Walk twenty seconds away and there you have the same item without the "upmarket" store charge.

well, that might enthrall me too just mary if I shopped at Dunnes - however I have been shopping at aldi/lidl for the past few years and have no intention of being fleeced because of flashier lighting. :D

Now I'm confused? Do you mean appalls not enthrals as in sickened rather than enamoured by?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

dloob wrote: »
    Yes I was in there once and the best I can say about it is, you get what you pay for.
    I won't be repeating the experience.

Ohhhh the irony! I was there once too and my meal repeated on me for hours.

I shall not be retuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Now I'm confused? Do you mean appalls not enthrals as in sickened rather than enamoured by?

Yeah, I'm not sure that his dictionary has the same definition in it as mine does ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

To enthral means to fascinate. It might not be the best choice of word but it does work. You don't have to be fascinated by things which please you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

no, I did mean enthrall, - it enthralls me to think that people are shopping at an "upmarket" store when in fact the only "upmarket" thing about it is the price. That enthralls me no end. Walk twenty seconds away and there you have the same item without the "upmarket" store charge.

well, that might enthrall me too just mary if I shopped at Dunnes - however I have been shopping at aldi/lidl for the past few years and have no intention of being fleeced because of flashier lighting. :D
    I would say its far more upmarket than any other small retailers in town such as Spar, Centra etc. They have a huge range of meats, beers, sauces and more which you dont see in other stores, you can scoff all you want and think you are getting one over them but i think the majority of their customers go there for more than a scone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

no I mean enthralls - as in, it fascinates me why people would pay over the odds while the items are cheaper a couple of seconds walk away. Ye really need to start reading guys. There are more words to use in the dictionary than the obvious ones. :rolleyes:

To enthral means to fascinate. It might not be the best choice of word but it does work. You don't have to be fascinated by things which please you.

ah, a reader in the group. Thank you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cazkeady

http://www.mccambridges.com/index.php?module=site&show=upstairs_menu

Not a bad menu... bit pricey alright but can be a nice little treat every now and again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What exactly are "preuvian style beef skweres"?

Menu does look nice, but as you said, not cheap.

Not the as over priced looking as a lot of places in Galway though, €17 for a good 10oz steak isn't bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What are Home Made Baked Beans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

cazkeady wrote: »
    http://www.mccambridges.com/index.php?module=site&show=upstairs_menu

Not a bad menu... bit pricey alright but can be a nice little treat every now and again...

Was actually going to reply saying €10 for a good steak sandwhich isn't bad. Then I realized it's an extra €4 for chips. Thanks taking the piss alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

newkie wrote: »
    Was actually going to reply saying €10 for a good steak sandwhich isn't bad. Then I realized it's an extra €4 for chips. Thanks taking the piss alright.

In a spot with the ambience of Charcoal Grill, that would be true.

Nicer place = nicer prices.

Steak sandwiches in plenty of nice places average about €10... with chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I make my own baked beans with tomatoes, onion, garlic and butter beans- otherwise haven't a clue!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I make my own baked beans with tomatoes, onion, garlic and butter beans- otherwise haven't a clue!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Enough on that menu to keep me happy and the prices look ok to me.
    Though, only 4 hot dishes? Seems a little on the small side.
    They have great beers in the shop, did they have anything decent in the restaurant?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

newkie wrote: »
    Steak sandwiches in plenty of nice places average about €10... with chips

Please, let me know where as the cheapest I found that one day I was looking was €15, granted I was starving so didn't look very hard. If there are other cheaper options the information you provide would be very helpful the next time I get a hankering for a steak sandwich

no I mean enthralls - as in, it fascinates me why people would pay over the odds while the items are cheaper a couple of seconds walk away. Ye really need to start reading guys. There are more words to use in the dictionary than the obvious ones. :rolleyes:

I was only asking as it wasn't very clear. Jaysus :rolleyes:

What are Home Made Baked Beans?

I assume ones made from scratch from raw beans, sauce etc. You'd see them a lot in The States. Made with a homemade sauce, sometimes with a bit of bacon in it! Cowboy style.

I was only asking as it wasn't very clear. Jaysus :rolleyes:

apologies - it just read as if you and just mary were on a "bandwagon" there inishbofin, but I'm glad things are cleared up for you now. :p

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    In a spot with the ambience of Charcoal Grill, that would be true.

Nicer place = nicer prices.

There are plenty if nice restaurants in Galway where you can get a steak sandwich for €10/11.

€14 for a steak sambo and a side of chips is a ripoff.

Mactard wrote: »
    Please, let me know where as the cheapest I found that one day I was looking was €15, granted I was starving so didn't look very hard. If there are other cheaper options the information you provide would be very helpful the next time I get a hankering for a steak sandwich

McSwiggin's are about €11 I think, lovely piece of meat on nice drinder bread with a side of chips and a little salad.

Massimo is about the same price, again, with salad and chips.

Saruman wrote: »
    Enough on that menu to keep me happy and the prices look ok to me.
    Though, only 4 hot dishes? Seems a little on the small side.
    They have great beers in the shop, did they have anything decent in the restaurant?

Not the best food in Galway (but not the worst either) but in Lohan's in Salthill you can bring a bottle from the offie into the bar and have it with a meal :)

They have some lovely beers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Gourmet Tart still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Gourmet Tart still the best.

I had a toasted beef wrap from there on Monday. Jeepers, it was beautiful. It cost less that €4.

I will be back. Often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I rarely go anywhere else, unless to try out new places maybe. It's the best in the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seaneh wrote: »
    Not the best food in Galway (but not the worst either) but in Lohan's in Salthill you can bring a bottle from the offie into the bar and have it with a meal :)

They have some lovely beers too.

Know it well. Pretty much next door to The Oslo :D

I contacted McCambridges and you can get any bottle of beer from their shop with your meal for a €1.50 corkage fee, on top of the price of the beer of course.

I contacted McCambridges and you can get any bottle of beer from their shop with your meal for a €1.50 corkage fee, on top of the price of the beer of course.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Christ thats a touch over the top!! When you asked you should have said 'cos its free in Lohans'.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »

A few off the top of my head are Townhouse, Front Door, Sheridan's knocknacarra, Frends, The Cellar. In fairness, most of those may be €10.95 but for your €15 you'll have a steak sandwich, chips, and a pint. Much better.

Advertisement