Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is cockiness a talent ?

• 04-08-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

I've known a few people over the years who I'd describe as very cocky but absolutely useless individuals. No surprise they are doing very well for themselves now.

They went into acting, management, music or whatever and have done very well despite being useless at what they do.

I dont begrudge them their success but for each of those people I know twice as many more who I know are better than those guys at what they do. But they lack the ability to promote themselves to get ahead.

So is cockiness itself a talent ? Do people promote themselves by pretending to be better than they are ? Or do these people simply lack the cop on to know they are useless and other just as useless individuals mistake that for confidence in ability ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

LordSmeg wrote: »
    So is cockiness itself a talent ? ?

No...

Next Please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Someone's ability always comes out in the end regardless of cockiness. If they're bad they get found out and if they are good the confidence just grows and grows. Some are likeable while others become arrogant a.holes..

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I think the recession has sorted the men from the boys for individuals who have no ability to do their job properly.
    No harm either. Too many lugs spent too many years taking credit for other peoples hard work.
    Nothing wrong with someone being cocky if they have the ability to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Someone's ability always comes out in the end regardless of cockiness. If they're bad they get found out and if they are good the confidence just grows and grows. Some are likeable while others become arrogant a.holes..
    No, no, and no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I'm not so sure, people who spend their lives getting ahead while lacking the actual ability always tend to find a position where others make up for that. If they eventually do get found out to some degree its never enough to ruin a career, only reason to move on with another impressive addition to the cv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I know one or two cocky types that have done well in management roles but they are nasty about getting ahead. Happy to point fingers and always making excuses and blaming others which seems to be one of the predominant characteristics of cockiness.
    Confidence is fine but cockiness is a mix of arrogance and ignorance.
    The type does get ahead but they are the opposite to what is needed in most situations which is someone with a pragmatic approach to things, but BS really goes far. I think higher ups like having cocky types under them. It's easy to blame them, it's easy to push them about and make unreasonable demands, and they aren't going to be much of a threat passed the position you put them in.
    I'm basing this on my own experiences with middle management and people I know.
    I'm going to say that no cockiness isn't a talent and all it does is put out the people around these **** who have to put up with their crap, carry their workload and deal with their cock-ups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Only if they can hang their hat on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Cockiness=being a dick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is cockiness a talent ?

As others have said, no.
    Sometimes it means they are being a prick!

Sometimes underlying mental defiance of that attitude is needed in the face of other idiots who would otherwise run roughshod over weaker humans.

But too much in the face cockiness - no, it just means they are being a prick!

Biggins wrote: »
    As others have said, no.
    Sometimes it means they are being a prick!

Sometimes underlying mental defiance of that attitude are needed in the face of other idiots who would otherwise run roughshod over weaker humans.

But too much in the face cockiness - no, it just means they are being a prick!

Yeah but you take a guy who's shít at acting, if he wants to be an actor he may cover up the fact that he's shít by being very insistent that he's not. He might come across as a prick in doing that but he's not just being a prick.

Surely you dont do that simply because your an asshole. You might know your not as good as the next guy but find another ability which still gives you the edge. And that ability is being very good as self promotion. Wouldnt it be seen as a talent then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

no

TheBody wrote: »
    Cockiness=being a dick

But why are they being dicks ? If its someone who knows he's good and cant wait to tell everyone then yes he's just being a dick. Natural asshole.

But if its someone who isnt good at something but still excels in that area then surely you cant just discount them as a dick. You have to give them some credit for being able to not only get along but get along ahead of others who are better than them.

You dont just get promoted because your a dick, you get promoted because you have the ability to look better than other people and take credit for what they do. Yes its still being a dick but they have to put effort into being a dick right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Managers often know feck all about technical stuff or what their staff do
    They would be pure useless if you handed them a list of tasks and several deadlines and extreme pressure

But they look good, talk the talk, good at presenting and good at selling themself

They get the top job while the very able staff below sit in a corner doing the donkey work better then any of the brass can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I'd have to say yes, the ability to succeed by having your ego massively exceed your talent to do a job is a talent in itself.

Like the OP, I've met and worked with to many people who are like this to believe otherwise.

Yeah but you take a guy who's shít at acting, if he wants to be an actor he may cover up the fact that he's shít by being very insistent that he's not. He might come across as a prick in doing that but he's not just being a prick.

Surely you dont do that simply because your an asshole. You might know your not as good as the next guy but find another ability which still gives you the edge. And that ability is being very good as self promotion. Wouldnt it be seen as a talent then ?

First of all, if a guy is crap at acting - even if he thinks he's not - he will be seen and/or exposed as to how good or bad he is, by those that view him sooner or later.

If he still insists that he's a great actor after that in the face of over whelming qualified decision/judgement that he's not, he's just being further blind and stupid.

All the cockiness in the world won't hide lack of talent.

It will just expose him as even being a stupider prick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont think cockiness is a talent or a virtue but it can get you places, if channeled in the right way. But there is a difference between ego and self esteem. Egomaniacs(or narcissists) generally dont have high self esteem as they use cockiness and arrogance to show how great they are to the world and because they need constant validation from those around them because their self esteem is low. Those with high self esteem, are happy within themselves and dont need to control or seek validation from others or material things. Thats my pop psychology lesson for the evening.

Biggins wrote: »
    First of all, if a guy is crap at acting - even if he thinks he's not - he will be seen and/or exposed as to how good or bad he is, by those that view him sooner or later.

If he still insists that he's a great actor after that in the face of over whelming qualified decision/judgement that he's not, he's just being further blind and stupid.

All the cockiness in the world won't hide lack of talent.

You've seen fair city and tv ads I assume, you know lack of acting ability wont hold you back in small time tv and commercials. Its entirely down to who you know and whether or not you can convince them to give you shot. Cocky people thrive in that environment because they dont have to rely on their acting ability to get roles.

You've seen fair city and tv ads I assume, you know lack of acting ability wont hold you back in small time tv and commercials. Its entirely down to who you know and whether or not you can convince them to give you shot. Cocky people thrive in that environment because they dont have to rely on their acting ability to get roles.

They know how to play a system to some extent.
    That don't take away from their lack of seen talent. That will still be seen.
    The further cockiness of them in thinking they are great "Because look where I am, on a national TV show" - is (again) down to them and the power of their agent playing a system - but they would have you thinking its all about talent more so when in fact, we, many can see it not.

Behaving like a prick with blind cockiness and not seeing one's limitations - is not a talent - its a curse.
    One that will condemn them in the eyes of the public and will oft times laugh at them behind their backs, if not to their face.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Making people feel bad by being 'cocky' with them only distances people but maybe it has some use .People generally don't like it .Shows a lack of diplomacy .

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

cockiness can be quite charming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement