Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in ballyfermot

Options
  • 04-08-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

looking into buying a house on lally road ballyfermot, wondering what sort of an area it would be to live in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ned jordan wrote: »
    looking into buying a house on lally road ballyfermot, wondering what sort of an area it would be to live in?

I live in Ballyfermot,plenty of decent people in Ballyer but no one can deny that its rough,having said that there are parks, playgrounds, shops, as well as several gyms and a swimming pool . The main Ballyfermot shops are great too, a Tesco, a bakery, clothes shops, a great veggie shop and a butchers people come for miles to buy from. The area is very mixed in terms of single people, young families, teenagers and pensioners,The bus routes are excellent,Lally road end would be pretty quite as its well settled.Have lived here most of my life so I might be a bit biased ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nedjordan

thanks for the post

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

I went to college in Ballyer and most of the locals are just really nice, salt of the earth types and there is a great sense of community spirit. There are great facilities like The Base youth center, the leisure center with pool, and the civic centre. But there are bad apples of course and you have to be a bit careful, I had my bike stolen from outside the leisure center (got it back thankfully). The kid's TV programme 'Roy' is set in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Also grew up in Ballyfermot have to say loved it. Like anywhere these days you have your bad sort but overall great place. My mas is still there on claddagh road although my mam and dad has past away I could never sell that house.
    It will be there for one of my kids someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lally Road is a grand area.

The 79A runs down that road and it's fast into town as it goes to Heuston.
    You have the 40 also on the main road but it's a bit slower, more areas to serve

Tesco and Lidl in Ballyfermot, bus service to both

There does be kids hanging around the chipper and off licence on Decies Rd and the little runts can throw bottles at you, well they have to me. :mad:
    I just avoid the place now

The tracksuit brigade won't be hanging around Lally Rd but they are around the park late at night.
    Ballyer has plently of them, just avoid the obvious hangouts and there should be no hassle.

Lots of elderly people in the area who all look out for each other. They all tend to salute each other say Sir and Love.
    Love it! :)
    Lally Rd has a good mix, some young couples there too

If you have a bike or motorbike lock it well but that's advice for any area, I've had vandalism in Ballyer and in Drumcondra, it's everywhere.

As areas go for Ballyfermot, you've picked one of the best

realies wrote: »
    a butchers people come for miles to buy from.

Is this the small one in the corner of the Tesco car park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Lally Road is a grand area.

The 79A runs down that road and it's fast into town as it goes to Heuston.
    You have the 40 also on the main road but it's a bit slower, more areas to serve

Tesco and Lidl in Ballyfermot, bus service to both

There does be kids hanging around the chipper and off licence on Decies Rd and the little runts can throw bottles at you, well they have to me. :mad:
    I just avoid the place now

The tracksuit brigade won't be hanging around Lally Rd but they are around the park late at night.
    Ballyer has plenty of them, just avoid the obvious hangouts and there should be no hassle.

Lots of elderly people in the area who all look out for each other. They all tend to salute each other say Sir and Love.
    Love it! :)
    Lally Rd has a good mix, some young couples there too

If you have a bike or motorbike lock it well but that's advice for any area, I've had vandalism in Ballyer and in Drumcondra, it's everywhere.

As areas go for Ballyfermot, you've picked one of the best

Is this the small one in the corner of the Tesco car park?

Well I thinking more of mcloughlins on the main rd,That one is good as well,R holmes I think. Served his time in mcloughlins before going it alone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm a fan of R Holmes, great little butcher shop

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

I bought a house in Lower Ballyfermot, where Lally Road is, about four years ago and love it. I'm not from the area originally, and only bought there because it was all I could afford, but I love it. It's got a great mix of residents, as others have said, so you have young single people, young families, older families, small children, older children, teenagers and old people. Several of my neighbours are raising their own children in the houses they themselves grew up in, so there's great continuity. The area is very safe, warm and friendly - not just my neighbours but the people in the shops and even the people you meet at the bus stop.

As others have mentioned, the area also has great facilities in shops (yes, I also recommend McLoughlin's butchers), supermarkets, parks, playgrounds, pubs, gyms, takeaways - the only thing I miss is a coffee shop. The transport links are also great, the 79/A will have you into town in less than 20 minutes and even the night bus (only €5) stops right by Markievicz Park.

I've been coming and going at all hours of the day and night over the last 4 years and have never had any trouble. I also go to the Decies Road off-licence (v good value) of an evening/night and find it grand.

Like others have said here, it's a great area to buy in. I'm delighted I did and I'm sure you'll be happy too.

Advertisement