Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering selling my once tip-top of the line desktop

Options
  • 04-08-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for advice and potential offers for the below rig. I'm curious as to what price people would consider to be fair- DESKTOP ONLY!

If someone's interested feel free to message me with your queries / offers.

I bought it in 2008 from MESH COMPUTERS UK - hardly old, and I have upgraded a few components since then. I upgraded the graphics card to a GTX 285 in 2009, and in 2011 the original PSU died, so I had a replacement installed.

Check below for the full spec and original price. I can supply pictures upon request. It's a rather subtle and (for a gaming rig) unasumingly sized case with a black aluminium finish all over.

BELOW IS THE ORIGINAL SPEC AND PRICE (INCLUDES MONITOR)
    System Base Price: £ 1701.28
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6700 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate Edition >> upgraded to windows 7 ultimate
    Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU - Black >> PSU upgraded to ***I THINK*** 650/700W
    PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 680i SLI(C55XE) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
    4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )
    1TB (2x 500GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer >> Both drives included, but last time I used the computer only one was in working order. Most likely a simple requirement of reformating, but as I'm not sure I can only guarantee 500GB
    LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    768MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra >> ORIGINAL CARD WAS FAULTY (Nvidia manufacturing defect) UPGRADED TO Nvidia GTX 285 http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-285/specifications It's a top card and runs everything I have ever thrown at it at absolute MAX settings and resolution.
    24" LCD Widescreen TFT Monitor + built in speakers Iiyama B2403WS >> I'd prefer to hang on to the monitor, although I would consider including it for the right price.
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card (oem)
    Creative Labs T6100 - 5.1 Speakers with Subwoofer >> Similarly to the monitor, I'm keen to hang on to the speaker set. Including the subwoofer it's quite bulky.
    Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse >> I still have these, but never used them; I wouldn't recommend them, so unless someone requests I'll be excluding.
    Multi-format Memory Card Reader

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Its worth about €300 - €400 with the monitor.

Being a desktop it probably won't sell even at that.

Better off gutting it and selling the RAM, Mobo and CPU and GPU. Can you take pics of the case? When I worked for Mesh the cases where awesome - how much thats changed I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Better off gutting it and selling the RAM, Mobo and CPU and GPU. Can you take pics of the case? When I worked for Mesh the cases where awesome - how much thats changed I don't know.
    Bout €300.00 tops

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'll get a pic up later tonight when I'm home.

It's a good case and perfectly ready for upgrades and the like. I would have thought it would be worth more, but I'd guess if I sold the components individually I could get much more for it. The graphics card alone cost more than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

PC components devalue quicker than crap cars I'm afraid.

My 4870 Cost me around €250 sold it a couple of weeks ago for €50
    HDDs are almost worthless
    CPUs, Mainboards hold their value to a certain extent only because of failures and changes of socket design (I suppose we can thank Intel for that much) - RAM is almost literally worthless at the moment.

The reduce the cost unless it it is in top notch condition with all the original packaging (which you wont have as it OEM)

The reduce the value if it has no warranty (retail PC components carry very long guarantees - OEMs don't)

Another example - I've a €200 case I'm trying to flog for €25 at them moment :D

In my view:

By a good monitor, case, PSU, retail OS and treat the rest as consumables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've a Dell XPS 600. It's a Pentium 4 system that is still ok(ish) for most games. In terms upgradability, it's very limited. It cost me €1,600 about 5 years ago. I'd be hard pushed to get €300 for it now and that's with a decent widescreen monitor and a GTX 260 graphics card.

I've come to the conclusion that the self build route is the best way to go in terms of value for money and future upgradability.

It's like cars. If you can do most of your own maintenance, then a Porsche makes sense on tight budget. Otherwise, buy a Mondeo:).

• Advertisement
Advertisement