Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis, is this plagarism

Options
  • 04-08-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Reading through some of the papers I will be citing for my thesis some of the introductory critique is very similar to my own in terms of structure. It leads with the issues affecting some studies and things that tend to be left out of non independent studies in the area. Now i haven't lifted passages out of anything but im not sure if i should cite this stuff, the section is a few hundred words long and im not sure if it even warrants a citation as it is just an overview of the area. Would this qualify as plagarism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Probably not plagerism but no harm to stick a citation/sentence just to say that "JoeBloggs (1999) provided a succinct review of recent literature etc. etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Would this qualify as plagarism?
    As said above, if everything is clearly cited, then it doesn't qualify as plagiarism.

However, if your introduction, or sections of it, are just repeating what others have said before, then you should probably consider rewording. What is your work addressing that has not been addressed in those earlier studies? What questions have been left unanswered?

Advertisement