Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple lentil recipes

Options
  • 04-08-2012 11:15pm

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to start eating a lot less meat and a lot more veg and was wondering if anyone could share some simple but delicious lentil and veg recipes? Ones without too many ingredients and preferably without the need for a food processor/blender? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm trying to start eating a lot less meat and a lot more veg and was wondering if anyone could share some simple but delicious lentil and veg recipes? Ones without too many ingredients and preferably without the need for a food processor/blender? :D

My two favourites are a red lentil curry, and peppers stuffed with lentils.

For the curry, you'll need :

1 tsp of turmeric
    1 tsp of curry powder
    1 tsp of fenugreek
    2 cloves of garlic, grated
    1 inch of ginger, grated
    1 chopped onion

1 small tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin of coconut milk
    2 teacups of red lentils
    Oil
    1 tsp of sugar
    Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a wide pot, fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is glassy.
    Add the spices and keep frying unitl they form a paste.
    Add the lentils and tinned tomatoes.
    Keep simmering on a low heat until the lentils are soft, adding a little water if it goes too dry.
    Add the coconut milk and sugar, then add salt to taste.

For the stuffed peppers :

1 chopped onion
    2 teacups of red lentils
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    Oil
    Salt and pepper

3 peppers, cut in half with the seeds removed
    100 g of grated cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
    Fry the onion until glassy, then add the tomatoes and lentils.
    Simmer until the lentils are soft, adding water if it gets too dry. You don't want sauce, though, so keep it on the dry side.
    Once the lentils are soft, season to taste.
    Then spoon the mixtured into the halved peppers, arrange the peppers on an oiled baking tray and cover with tin foil.
    Place the tray into the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minuted, remove the tin foil cover, sprinkle the cheese over the peppers and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Great with a side salad. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

lentil bolognese:

1 can of lentils fried in mushrooms, onions and garlic. mix in pasta sauce and serve with spaghetti. simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I got a takeaway from Govinda's yesterday and they had a lovely shepherd's pie that was made with lentils. I guess you would just swap brown lentils for minced beef when making it.

I myself make a pretty good German lentil stew. It might not appeal to everyone based on description but it is actually really tasty. Preiswert und lecker und nach mehr schmeckend! Or so they say... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Chickpeas, not lentils, but easy and delicious:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/333607/cauliflower-and-chickpea-pilaf?binderbox=showlogin

I used my own spices instead of a paste, and added a squeeze of lemon juice at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just came across this site today, has some lovely easy veggie friendly indian recipes, this is a nice simple one for Dal....

http://quickasianrecipes.com/2012/05/01/dal-makhani-king-of-indian-dals/

At the minute I'm saving for hols and trying to use up food in the press so I have a load of lentils to use up myself, just making a simple lentil bolognaise today, I'm gona try this dal myself tomorrow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Sweet potato cottage pie with lentils

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash

I love this recipe, it's just so delicious, there aren't too many ingredients either, it's so easy. Try not to omit the red wine, it adds depth of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Tex-Mex Vegetarian Chili

Have been cooking this for at least 10 years from Madhur Jaffrey's great book. It has changed over that time. Black Turtle beans (cooked in a pressure cooker, essential for beans and pulses) are much more digestible than Red Kidney Beans. If I don't have a green pepper, I use a red one or even a courgette. I rarely use fresh jalapeño now, substituting dried chilli such as bird eye. The easiest thing to use in the place of specific corn meal is fine polenta (sort of same thing really). Various ingredients can be left out or added depending on what's available seasonally.

It freezes really well, as I usually make a double batch which gives upto 8 2 person portions. This dish may look strange but it taste really great. Even non vegetarians love it. This make seem like a lot of work but it is worth it if you make enough for freezing.

Advertisement