Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year travel

Options
  • 04-08-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

My youngest is doing his junior cert this year and when he is finished I had thought instead of him doing transition year which is compulsory in his school, that we would move abroad for a year and let him learn through living somewhere else.

Originally I wanted to go to France but he is not really in love with that idea but I think it would be good for him when he comes back to do his Leaving Cert French exam.

Other than that I would love to go to Canada or USA but am not likely to get a visa so not sure what to do.

Also thought of maybe Canaries or somewhere like that but neither of us have Spanish.

Any suggestions people? How could I go about working in the USA for a year (I don't have a degree) and as am over 35 I don't think I qualify for J1.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Unfortunately you probably won't get any kind of a working visa for the US. They don't do casual 1 or 2 year work type visas. There is the green card lottery but it is a long and drawn out process and it's more suited to people looking to move to the US long term.

I would avoid going to Spain as the unemployment rate is nearly 25%.

Advertisement