Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airplay skipping woes

• 05-08-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Im having trouble streaming any music from both my iPhone 4 & iPad 2 to my Apple TV 3. Its streams fine but stops and starts again every couple of seconds, annoying as hell. Any ideas what might be causing the issue with the audio streaming? The same happens if I browse radio stations from within ATV3 aswell.

Airplay works as intended for video, no skipping, all works grand. Youtube & Netflix from within the ATV are fine too, never any issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this happening on apps that you are streaming audio from, or does it happen even if you are sending music from the Music app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Is this happening on apps that you are streaming audio from, or does it happen even if you are sending music from the Music app?

Its happening through the stock music app & also if i use something like TuneIn to stream to th ATV.

I have since updated the iOS software on the ATV3 but no change.

Im baffled at the issue really because if it was a broadband issue then surely video streaming/netflix would be as interrupted as the audio too?

Just noticed the RTE Player app is skipping too but not to the same extent.

Could it be because theres quite a few devices connected to the wifi aswell?
    Currently theres 2 ipads, 2 iphones, an ipod touch and the apple tv itself? While all of them are connected only my own ipad & the ATV are actually in use.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

How far away is your wireless router?

• Advertisement

About 20ft or so?

barryd09 wrote: »
    About 20ft or so?

And are there any concrete walls in the line of sight to both devices?

Have you a way of checking signal strength to both? Usually you can from the routers management page.

I would guess this is where your issue lies. I would think something like AirPlay would have relatively high bandwidth requirements.

Thanks, much appreciated!
    Going to look into moving the router over the next few days, possibly even connecting the router & ATV via an ethernet cable, surely if this is the issue then this will rule it in or out then.

Thanks again, smooth airplaying of my music & getting this issue resolved is a priority for me at the minute.

No probs.

Yeah even move the router and connect atv with Ethernet cable as a test to see if thats your issue. You won't need to connect your phone line to test this.

• Advertisement

Managed to dig out an ethernet cable and Ive moved the router & modem into the sitting room & hooked everything up again.

Ive airplay'd a podcast for 30 mins - no skipping problems and currently airplaying TuneIn radio without any problems, hopefully that was the issue and its sorted now. Thanks for your help Stainless_Steel! Much appreciated.

Glad to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have not had the same problems as you OP but going to invest in the new Airport Express link for €99.

Have been using a very old Eircom Netopia to boost airplay and wifi performance in general. Will also be handy if I need to use it in repeater mode for whatever reason. Also can do audio airplay to amp and wireless printing.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Managed to dig out an ethernet cable and Ive moved the router & modem into the sitting room & hooked everything up again.

Ive airplay'd a podcast for 30 mins - no skipping problems and currently airplaying TuneIn radio without any problems, hopefully that was the issue and its sorted now. Thanks for your help Stainless_Steel! Much appreciated.

And this morning Im back to the same **** again, 4-5 skips per minute of music.
    Router is plugged into the Apple TV, Im about 4 feet away from the router with my ipad & phone in the sitting room and still its ****.

Not only is the apple tv 3 a pretty limited box because its currently unjailbreakable, its now not even performing the most basic of functions for me.

Grrrr.....

Advertisement