Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Idea, newbie to code. Point me to any useful documentation?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm still fairly untested as a programmer, but I figure although there's a lot in here for a first project, it should be quite doable. I've only done small little calculators / very basic stuff so far, and I've never touched APIs / network stuff.

I just need a little help sorting through documentation on both Android and VLC. If anyone here has done something similar to any of the above points and knows a good place to start, please give me as many links as you can.

Here's the basic idea of what I intend to do:

The best remote style app I've seen is Gmote, but there are a number of things I think could be done better and I see no reason to wait for the dev to implement all my ideas when a few months of my work could give me what I want.

I want to make a media remote / streaming app that does the following, connecting to VLC player:
    • Playlist creation / selection.
    • Play Video & audio on PC
    • Stream video or audio to phone
    • Main new idea / feature: Stream just the audio while playing the video on the main screen.
      • Turns the phone into a wireless headset. (Good for watching action movies at night, in bed, when everyone else is asleep and you don't have access to a laptop or wireless headphones.)
      • May involve streaming from Stereo Mix if I can't isolate the audio from VLC directly.
      • Might be latency problems so I may also need to provide controls for VLC's audio delay tools.
    • Touch screen as touch pad for controlling mouse, etc. Similar again to Gmote.
    • Connectivity by both wifi or bluetooth.
    • Playlist creation / selection.

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement