Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit question

Options
  • 05-08-2012 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I put down a deposit on a new vehicle today and am due to collect it in about 2 to 3 weeks. Its currently in the showroom of the shop so its not a new order for the supplier.

For one or two reasons I won't be able to go ahead with the purchase. It being a saturday and a bank holiday weekend they won't be able to do anything until Tuesday and even at that it won't be registered to me until I bring in the remaining amount and some paper work.

Whats the chance of me getting my deposit back (its a sizable amount). Is there a cooling off period that I could make use of ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No cooling of period; all down to nice they feel basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Completely up to their discretion AFAIK, although if you cancel quickly enough (first thing Tuesday morning) and are very nice about it you'll probably get it back.

What's the model & colour?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Regardless of whether they are out of rocket or have done paperwork for the vehicle, you are not entitled to your deposit back unless it was specifically a refundable one. So as said its down to the garage and how obliging they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

You can be sure this has happened to them already, especially since this recession. Get in to them first thing Tuesday morning & explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

hillbloom wrote: »
    You can be sure this has happened to them already, especially since this recession. Get in to them first thing Tuesday morning & explain the situation.

Thanks, will do.

Its a scooter and turns out it won't fit in my garage with my other bikes. Thought it would be shorter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement