Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do women get drunk so easily?

• 05-08-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

I have a female friend, and I swear to god after about 2 pints she was nearly falling over. I've noticed the same thing with a lot of women, 2-3 pints and they are already tipsy, not only that but they go hyper under the influence. It takes me 9-10 pints to get anywhere, and even after that amount I can hold a conversation as well as not making an arse of myself. Yet half the time it seems women only have to smell the stuff before falling over and going ape in the process.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

My name is dttq and I'm an alcoholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Because they're all dainty, and lovely, and little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are generally smaller. The smaller you are the less blood you have. The less blood you have the higher the blood alcohol content you have. The higher the blood alcohol content you have the drunker you are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Men have a higher proportion of water, compared to fat, than women. As a result in men the alcohol gets diluted more and has less of an effect.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

" Because women's bodies have a higher ratio of fat to water, they reach a higher blood alcohol concentration after a single drink than men, even when matched for weight and size.
    Enzymes also play a role. A landmark study published in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1990 found that in women levels of gastric alcohol dehydrogenase, a compound that breaks down alcohol, are on average nearly half what they are in men. It also found that the amount of alcohol metabolized after its first passage through a woman's liver and stomach is 23 percent of what it is in men.
    As a result, other studies show, women who drink heavily develop cirrhosis and other alcohol-induced conditions sooner than male drinkers.
    The silver lining? Women who indulge in a drink or two a day have lower rates of heart attacks than those who prefer their drinks alcohol-free.
    THE BOTTOM LINE Women metabolize alcohol differently to men"

Source : nytimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can become annoying at times, silly little women not able to handle heavy boozing. ;):D

Some anyway, I know a couple myself who knock back vodka by the lorry load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think I've read that it goes beyond size/mass issues. Something like female livers aren't able to process alcohol as fast even when you account for the size difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Bit me a generalization there OP, a few of my female friends would give you a good run for your money pints wise! I don't think it's a gender thing at all, I think it literally differs person to person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Men have a higher proportion of water, compared to fat, than women. As a result in men the alcohol gets diluted more and has less of an effect.

Science nerd.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Science nerd.
    They don't hand out these usernames to just anyone

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

dttq wrote: »
    I have a female friend, and I swear to god after about 2 pints she was nearly falling over. I've noticed the same thing with a lot of women, 2-3 pints and they are already tipsy, not only that but they go hyper under the influence. It takes me 9-10 pints to get anywhere, and even after that amount I can hold a conversation as well as not making an arse of myself. Yet half the time it seems women only have to smell the stuff before falling over and going ape in the process.

Does she start singing the Rebel songs too :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

From what I see in college the women drink more than the lads! and its all vodka and shots, at least guys drink beer which is more easy going than the stuff most girls drink....so the result being they get pissed quicker!

Science nerd.

dam you, I was going to say that....maybe :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

They get drunk so they can lower their standards and use the excuse of being too drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The stuff that we tend to drink. A girl might drink a shoulder of vodka, a guy six cans. The guy's had less alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Pretty much all of the above are true, on one hand mostly our genetic make up, making us carry more fat than muscle, eostrogen,depending on build etc. makes us predisposed to not holding the drink well....on the other hand you can build up tolerance, my Dad isn't a small man but has no shame in saying he can handle beer wise the same as me, 4/5 pints. I'd not hammered after that but messes up my insides so I avoid the beer. He'd never match me in wine :) my OH drank 4 glasses of wine one night with me and woke up in the middle of the night asking me to call him an ambulance!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    The stuff that we tend to drink. A girl might drink a shoulder of vodka, a guy six cans. The guy's had less alcohol.

I don't buy this whole "women drink spirits, men drink beer" argument. It has nothing to do with the drink involved, whether it's beer or spirits, I have noticed that a lot of women just seem to get drunk so easily in comparison to fellas, regardless of what they are drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

blacklilly wrote: »
    They get drunk so they can lower their standards and use the excuse of being too drunk

Sounds like the voice experience speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I know some girls who can drink me under the table (around 15/16 pints is normal for me). They're all whales though. Thin girls seem not to be able to handle it at all.

I don't buy this whole "women drink spirits, men drink beer" argument. It has nothing to do with the drink involved, whether it's beer or spirits, I have noticed that a lot of women just seem to get drunk so easily in comparison to fellas, regardless of what they are drinking

You're talking about girls! Women drinking..thats a different story ;):D

brummytom wrote: »
    I know some girls who can drink me under the table (around 15/16 pints is normal for me). They're all whales though. Thin girls seem not to be able to handle it at all.

Stop it! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps more women will contribute to this thread when they come round.

Staggers away quickly.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't know but you better buy them some interesting fruit juices when they're hungover or you wont get any fresh-baked triple choc muffins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

brummytom wrote: »

16 pints is abit ridiculous, I could understand a once off for some big occasion and drinking all day, but even then its stretching it. I was a really heavy drinker and I'd never drink more than 12 cans/pints in a single sitting, I'd be **** faced by then tbh. Are you not out of your mind after that many pints? It's dangerous aswell, you could pass out and puke in your sleep, happened to me a few times and scared the life out of me.

I'd say the 15/16 pints is a joke only I have a cousin (oldish) who can do that..that's his relaxing few drinks..he claimed to be able to do 24+ on a mad one..though he says he's cut back now to 8-10 :eek: casual night he'd have drank about 11-12 and when they'd do last orders he'd get 3 or 4 in!
    His missus was just keeping her own pace, I think she'd have 3 or 4 JD's.
    There was only one woman I ever seen was able to do the crazy no. of pint's was in Balbriggan about ten years ago, dunno if she's still there-but she basically was a middle aged man in a skirt,following the horses and dogs and could put away a serious amount of guinness without a wobble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's Gods little gift to ugly lads.

May I add the fecker quit smoking (loves his electronic smoke) and got a great bill of health too! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I wish I got drunk easily. I'm almost 6ft and can hold beer like there's no tomorrow.

Wish I was small and dainty and a cheap date :(

Only thing that gets me drunk is wine, and that takes 2 bottles lol

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I wish I got drunk easily. I'm almost 6ft and can hold beer like there's no tomorrow.

Wallys Hut. 2 for a tenner if you can get your hands on it.

Only, very slight, downside is that it tastes like flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

nuxxx wrote: »
    16 pints is abit ridiculous, I could understand a once off for some big occasion and drinking all day, but even then its stretching it. I was a really heavy drinker and I'd never drink more than 12 cans/pints in a single sitting, I'd be **** faced by then tbh. Are you not out of your mind after that many pints? It's dangerous aswell, you could pass out and puke in your sleep, happened to me a few times and scared the life out of me.

It depends really. A quiet night out (music session) would be probably 9-11 pints, but then a proper night out would be a good few more, with some spirits aswell. I don't claim to be amazing at handling my drink, I just enjoy drinking. I don't do healthy living.

I get very drunk, but I rarely ever get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

nuxxx wrote: »

Brummytom is from England and the beer isn't as strong over there. . .

Wallys Hut. 2 for a tenner if you can get your hands on it.

Only, very slight, downside is that it tastes like flash.

Taste doesn't bother me. Honestly I can swallow anything. I'll have to check that out, thanks. Normally spend 7e on a bottle

Pottler wrote: »
    It's Gods little gift to ugly lads.

Oils the wheels to discovering they may be a great lad, even if they think they're ugly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah stop now Syndey, tall, funny and like wine? Just stop. Next you'll say your also good looking. You probably are.

Honestly I can swallow anything.

I'm going to go smash my hands in a door to stop myself from writing a pun for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I drink 30 pints, I'm gr8.

Ah stop now Syndey, tall, funny and like wine? Just stop. Next you'll say your also good looking. You probably are.

I'm not, don't worry lol I have a huge chin.

See for yourself lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

And don't forget:
    Taste doesn't bother me. Honestly I can swallow anything.

:eek:

• Advertisement

Honestly I can swallow anything.

I'm going to go smash my hands in a door to stop myself from writing a pun for that.

I'll admit my phrasing was awful lol you know what I meant though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The answer obviously is because it's natures way of allowing ugly men to have sex.

Cunningly nature also devised beer goggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Arent you great! You must be so proud that you can drink so much. Any better hobbies? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Not really true they've had close to an identical amount of alcohol if the cans are 4.3% and the spirits are 37.5, I think people tend to actually overestimate how much girls drink because they don;t realize even a double has maybe only 20% more alcohol than a pint, this being said its easier to get hammered on spirits due to speed of drinking.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Arent you great! You must be so proud that you can drink so much. Any better hobbies? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing she could projectile vomit a mean self portrait...

I drink 30 pints, I'm gr8.

Ya are..ya likkle mole with a shovel :):confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have a female friend, and I swear to god after about 2 pints she was nearly falling over. I've noticed the same thing with a lot of women, 2-3 pints and they are already tipsy, not only that but they go hyper under the influence.
    I would imagine they are not used to drinking, therefore it affects them in a way you couldn't possibly understand.
    It takes me 9-10 pints to get anywhere, and even after that amount I can hold a conversation as well as not making an arse of myself. Yet half the time it seems women only have to smell the stuff before falling over and going ape in the process.
    9-10 pints to get anywhere, really?

The Mods and Users of AHs are trying to put an end to threads like this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement