Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music Practical Requirements?

• 05-08-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Alright, I'm just done my Junior Cert, I've been practicing some musical performances during the summer, my singing and piano playing.
    Anyway, I figure it might be a good idea to start preparing for my practical in music now, I aim to do higher level, so what are the requirements for the higher level music practical, and would they be likely to change between now and when I'm in 6th year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

You have a few choices for the practical aspect of the course.
    You can opt to perform 6 pieces on the one instrument or perform four pieces on two different instruments (8 pieces in total). Another popular choice is to perform four pieces on one instrument and do a computer elective which is on software such as Finale Notepad or Musescore. There is also an unprepared test which consists of aural memory (melody or rhythm), sight reading or improvisation. This is only worth 10 marks of your overall score.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Its kind of an unwritten rule that doing the 4+4 option is better because you are marked at a lower standard.
    i wouldn't worry too much about your choices right now (especially if youre doing TY) BUT:
    • Try work your way up the grade list - aim to be about grade6/7 by the end of sixth year
    • Find pieces you enjoy because you will be playing them a lot!
    • Find pieces that are not on the RIAM grade syllabus. Trust me, every examiner does many schools and many students opt for piano and you can imagine A)How bored the examiner will be hearing the piece and B) How much easier it will be for them to compare you to others. Not that you can't do grade pieces but it is worth thinking outside the box.
    I would aim to practice EVERY SINGLE DAY. No exaggeration... you want to know your stuff inside out when the day comes to the point it almost feels routine. If your teacher doesn't provide the opportunity, make sure you play in front of your friends and family as much as possible.
    Remember the leaving cert music programme is looking for a good PERFORMANCE, it is not a grade exam and it doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be MUSICAL to stand out. Present yourself well and approach it as you would a paid concert.

Advertisement