Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson

• 05-08-2012 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Just watching The Grey there an d it's not a bad movie. but Liam Neeson is pretty awesome in it and I realised just how many movies he doesn't suck in.

I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of his but when it comes to the amount of movies he appears in every year I think only Samuel L. Jackson and Nicolas Cage come close, but Neeson, love him or hate him, is pretty damn consistent in whatever he's in. I even worked on wrath of the titans so I know he's starred in some duds but I can't say he' bad in it.

I'd be interested in gettin a general sense of his hit/miss ratio.
    He's pretty much always Liam Neeson but what is he particularly great/terrible in?

And lets just leave Darkman out of it. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

He's brilliant as Ras al Ghul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Darkman is a good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

mike65 wrote: »
    Darkman is a good film.
    Came here to say the same thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He is starting to take every film role offered to him which is not a good thing. I like him but he has only been in about 5 or 6 good films and one masterpiece Schindlers List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Tbh, he seems to be more of a paycheck man these days. The Grey and Batman might be the only two 'good' movies I've seen him in recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

snausages wrote: »
    Tbh, he seems to be more of a paycheck man these days. The Grey and Batman might be the only two 'good' movies I've seen him in recently.
    Not too sure what to make of the sheer amount recent roles really, but i remember him at a interview saying after the death of his wife he took on as much as he could to simply keep busy.
    If you look as his IMDB filmography it would look like he will be slowing down next year a bit.
    Hopefully anyway , im a big believer in quality over quantity. Over saturation of mediocre movies will damage his cred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Way i see it is, the movies he was in would have went ahead without him, I'm thankful to see him performing solidly, which he does IMO, even if the movie itself isnt that good. So im always glad to see him on screen instead of someone else who may get under my skin. Plus there is more to movies than just making masterpieces, some of them would be fun to make, some movies may take him to places in the world he's never been, and as someone mentioned, his wife passed, doing all the movies may have helped him mourn and adapt.

Looking at IMDB, the only movie he was in that ive seen that i taught was crap was clash of the titans. But he was good in it, just the movie itself was crap.

Oh and Darkman is awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just found out the other week that he is quite closely related to me.

Uncle did up a family tree for the granny's 80th birthday and lo and behold he is very close on the mother's side of the family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

He was class in "Taken" , cant wait for Taken 2!!

nix wrote: »
    Way i see it is, the movies he was in would have went ahead without him, I'm thankful to see him performing solidly, which he does IMO, even if the movie itself isnt that good. So im always glad to see him on screen instead of someone else who may get under my skin. Plus there is more to movies than just making masterpieces, some of them would be fun to make, some movies may take him to places in the world he's never been, and as someone mentioned, his wife passed, doing all the movies may have helped him mourn and adapt.

Looking at IMDB, the only movie he was in that ive seen that i taught was crap was clash of the titans. But he was good in it, just the movie itself was crap.

Oh and Darkman is awesome!

You must have seen The Phantom Menace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Clash of titans, anyone? Shocking movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just found out the other week that he is quite closely related to me.

Uncle did up a family tree for the granny's 80th birthday and lo and behold he is very close on the mother's side of the family!!
    Get her to ask him if he wants to go for a few pints with some internet guys. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

You must have seen The Phantom Menace.

meh i doubt he knew it would be bad signing up to it, it was star wars for christ sake, be a hard role to turn down considering the love everybody had for the franchise prior to the new movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Liked him in Schindlers List which is basically a masterpiece, completely hated him in Taken which is an absolute pile of titties.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Liked him in Schindlers List which is basically a masterpiece, completely hated him in Taken which is an absolute pile of titties.

He'd like a word

eVlWQWprMUJnWTQx_o_mel-gibson-calls-liam-neeson---taken.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

snausages wrote: »
    Tbh, he seems to be more of a paycheck man these days.

I always wonder about comments like above? The only reason that I go to work is because I get a paycheck. It is the same with soccer players, they are "meant" to show loyalty to a club and not look after themselves?

If someone offers me a shed load of money to star in a mediocre film I can tell you one thing, I would be all over that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I always wonder about comments like above? The only reason that I go to work is because I get a paycheck. It is the same with soccer players, they are "meant" to show loyalty to a club and not look after themselves?

If someone offers me a shed load of money to star in a mediocre film I can tell you one thing, I would be all over that crap.

Fair enough. I'm not belittling him or anything, if he finds those kinds of roles fulfilling or whatever then that's his own business. I'm just saying that he's not the type of name I would automatically associate with a quality film these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Neeson was never above taking paycheck roles, though in the past he tended to mix it up a bit. But since the death of his wife he seems to have abandoned serious roles altogether. His decision to drop out of Lincoln was bizarre. He turned down working with Spielberg again and the chance to win an Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liam Neeson was probably never going to be a "legacy" actor just a very reliable one, he's got little to be embarrassed about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

While Taken is divisive I think it can be accredited for restoring his leading man appeal – there was a time where he seemed to be always drafted in for smaller roles to make cameos/play father figures/or die in a film. Sometimes all three.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, when you take away his role in Schindlers List, there's little in Neesons CV that suggests anything other than a standard, jobbing actor with the occasional big supporting role. He has a lot of screen presence to be sure, but it's not as like the man's a classic thespian type. In fact before Schindler, his most famous role would probably have been Darkman, or one of the guys from Krull :pac: Not exactly the back catalogue of a legend.

So whether it was his idea or his agents, and whatever the motivation for it, his reinvention as the go-to Hollywood action hero is a pretty smart manoeuvre really; he discovered a niche and he's working with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Personally speaking, and not discounting the past mumber of abortions in The Bond series, I'm quite looking forward to TAKEN 2 above and
    beyond SKYFALL....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I have to be very honest here I really liked him in the A Team. It was a pants of a film but I though he was a very good Hannibal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Personally speaking, and not discounting the past mumber of abortions in The Bond series, I'm quite looking forward to TAKEN 2 above and
    beyond SKYFALL....
    That's pathetic skyfall will be the action movie event of the year while taken 2 will suck balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ricero wrote: »
    That's pathetic skyfall will be the action movie event of the year while taken 2 will suck balls

Don't waste your time seeing films just follow ricero's future-predicting posts! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ricero wrote: »
    you have seen the avengers, dark knight rises, and also with the upcoming bourne film, im not saying skyfall will be bad, just saying i doubth itll be the action film of the year, battleship more than likely had more action that bond will have,

that scene in lifes to short was epic :D:D:D

i always thought he was good in michael collins, his part in batman begins was very good, it is weird that at 60 his niche is action films, but hey if he can pull it off fair play,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Lamb(1986) was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Lamb(1986) was excellent.

but was he great in it? That's that point of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

al28283 wrote: »

Yes he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

al28283 wrote: »

Yes. I was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Liam Neeson has a great voice..only Morgan Freeman is better
    If i was a billionaire I'd pay them to tell me bedtime stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I think Michael Collins is his best role

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Liam Neeson has a great voice..only Morgan Freeman is better
    If i was a billionaire I'd pay them to tell me bedtime stories

John Hurt has them both beat imo!
    Could listen to him read the phonebook...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Looking forward to Taken 2 as well.
    I will find you... and I will drink you!

Are we looking at another John McClane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Love neeson as an actor yeah he has made some duffers like Big man but tell me one Actor that has never made a bad movie

gaelicred wrote: »
    Love neeson as an actor yeah he has made some duffers like Big man but tell me one Actor that has never made a bad movie

John Cazale

Advertisement