Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert J to H1B?

Options
  • 05-08-2012 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am currently here on a j visa,

I am interning for a music PR company in NY, a friend of mine is opening a bar soon that will host live bands/djs, as he is my buddy he wants me to stay, is it possible for me to work in his live music bar and try convert to H1B?

I know I would have to leave my PR intern gig, but i think this might be an opportunity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's possible to move from a J to a H1B visa, but you are not going to get one to work in a music bar. H1B are for highly skilled workers- usually those with Masters degrees or higher, or a lot of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's not just what you education you have but what the position demands. The position itself must be a high skilled position.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

silja wrote: »
    It's possible to move from a J to a H1B visa, but you are not going to get one to work in a music bar. H1B are for highly skilled workers- usually those with Masters degrees or higher, or a lot of experience.

This is not true. I have gotten H1b's with an undergrad and little or no experience. It depends on the role and whether it is considered skilled by the dept of labor. Then you must show that you are skilled (through exp or qualifications) which is review by the dept of labor when you complete an LCA. I would check with the DOL to see if marketing could be covered as a skilled worker and if your undergrad is in the area you may be able to get it that way. I would talk to a lawyer though.

Advertisement