Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snorkeling ireland

Options
  • 05-08-2012 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

anyone know if theres any good snorkeling spots around ireland comming back from oz for holiday and wouldnt mind doing a bit if theres anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Caherciveen down in Kerry; or off the Burren, somewhere like Doolin or Fanore, is meant to be pretty decent.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Old Head near westport and Keem Beach in Achill are good spots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevostrong

I live in Ballina Co mayo i have just started snorkeling and have been to Lacken Kilcumin back strand lots of crabs and stuff like that and i have just been to Enniscrone in co Sligo today saw some fish one which was fairly big.
    My understanding is that we surrounded by some of the best waters in the world for snorkeling.
    Also some rivers and lakes are supposed to be pretty good.
    Here try this site out

http://www.underwater-ireland.com/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Anywhere where there's some rocky coastline basically and you've lots of this around the Irish coast. Sandy bays/ beaches and estuaries obviously not the best spots. We've snorkelled a good many places, just a matter of checking sea conditions and tide etc. If the sea has been rough, things will be a bit churned up but it usually settles within a day or so. Be careful near headlands and the like where you can get strong tidal currents. The south, west & north coasts will generally be better but you'll still see plenty in the Irish sea. Normally wear a wet suit and hood but had the pleasure in recent heatwave, of snorkelling down in Clare with just swimsuit..

• Registered Users Posts: 25 enniscrone

There are several great spots for snorkelling & diving around Killala Bay.
    On the Mayo side you have Kilcummin Head which is excellent (5 Star) but you need to know what your doing as access is difficult and you need to know the currents. Lackin Pier, close to Kilcummin Head, is a safer option and is excellent for snorkelling. The local dive clubs use it all the time.

On the Sligo side of the bay you have Enniscrone which is beautiful (in my bias opinion). Sand beach with a rocky coastline along the pier, very safe and not too deep which makes for great snorkelling.

Another little gem is Aughris Head, which is a nice quiet and safe place to snorkel. Just follow the road signs for the Beach Bar (great for a bite to eat and a pint after your swim) and ask where the pier is if you missed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement