Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog terrified of dishwasher on

• 05-08-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

In the last week my dog has become petrified of the dishwasher when it's on. She starts shaking and panting and cannot wait to get out of the house and stands down the bottom of the garden and will not come back into house.
    She is fine when it's off and even comes for a sniff of anything that's going into it but once it's on she legs it. I don't know what's happened to trigger this. We've had her a year and a half now and hate seeing her so terrified. Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I would sit on the floor with the dog and have a few really nice treats ready, then turn it on and when she starts getting scared try to comfort her, offer a few of the treats before hand, and again after it's on, stroke her and try to help her feel secure.

It's the noise of the thing that's getting her upset, alot of dogs act like that, around appliances, vacuums for example, some dogs are terrified of them until the owner assures the dog the vacuum is not out to get them :)

I'm also thinking the dog may react in a different manner than you might expect, so if your worried about getting bit, slip on a pair of garden/work gloves just in case. I'm sure there will be other ideas offered, but that's how I would handle it.

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Awwww, maybe it made a noise that scared her. Ours makes a thud when the dishwasher tablet falls into the machine maybe it was something like that. Good idea trying to encourage her in with treats etc. All else fails it's back to washing by hand lol. Or maybe put the machine on at a time when the dogs going out for walkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There's a gadget called a Thundershirt (they stock them in Breffni House pet shop in Windy Arbour/Dundrum) which clasps dogs reassuringly; even stops my dog being insane when fireworks are going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

When I went to the foster where I got mine, out of about 12-15 dogs she the only one who shyed away when i came through the gates on a loud motorbike....naturally, she was the one i chose :P She's still a bit weary of it after i brought her to it and got her used to it probably because it moves though, but when she hears it she knows im comin home so she always meets me at the door :p

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

My Dog is like that with the hoover. He goes behind the couch or into the garden and hides and shakes like mad! He does the same in the car. It always makes me feel so guilty but apparently comforting them while they're shaking is encouraging it. So I think what Vince32 said about making her feel secure while still at the dishwasher would be a good idea. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Petite84

Hi I think the treat idea is good, ive a dog who was like this with the hoover but after leaving the hoover on with me beside it on the floor and calling him over with treats and a huge amount of praise and rubs for the smallest steps towards it (try to make it a game), it took time but he nw cudnt care less and sleeps through me hoovering! Hope this helps & best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Careful with the treats, though - you may reinforce trembling and crying, rather than dishwashing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie was like that with the spinner on the washing machinewhen we first came here. Previously the machine had been in the shed.. She is used to it now.. wish this would happen with thunder and the local crowbangers

Advertisement