Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding home for me and my dog

• 05-08-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey guys,

I am trying to find a place to live for myself and my golden retriever but it is proving so hard to get somewhere decent. Did any of ye have hassle when looking?

I can understand if ppl don't want a dog but he is cleaner than most ppl I have lived with. All the lump wants to do is sleep most of the time with a daily walk thrown in.

I am beginning to give up hope. Will I have to rehome him?! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When I was living in Kilkenny I was allowed move my dog and cat into the house. You just need to keep searching for a landlord who likes animals really. Please don't give up your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Don't tell the landlord you have a dog. Our last two places we never mentioned having a dog. When they eventually find out they don't say anything as they are happy that as a tenant you have there property well looked after and they don't have to worry about the dog then.

Saying you have a dog will make it difficult for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a friend who rents with a dog, what they do is not mention until they are ready to sign and then say "I have references from previous landlords, they can also vouch for my dog, and that I left the place as good as when I went in, and there is no problem giving a bigger deposit if you would like" They act as if this is the norm and they never had an issue, get it in writing that its ok and that you gave a larger deposit (if you do).

Also you could ask around on the rental/accommodation forum, personally if I was a landlord I'd prefer a well behaved dog than some tenants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

While there are a lot of responsible pet owners out there, there are also some who aren't, and their pets can cause issues in the house, from scraping at doors and walls, to eating furniture and curtains, to staining carpets and wooden flooring, to digging up and destroying gardens. This is the reason why a lot of landlords won't accept pets, even though a lot of pets are fine and well behaved in the house.

I definitely wouldn't recommend not telling your landlord and moving the dog in without telling them. A lot of leases will have a 'no pets' clause and by moving the dog/cat (or other pet) in, you'll be breaking the lease and could be asked to leave, and/or fined for breaking the lease, depending on the stipulations attached. You may also not get a reference, or get a bad reference, from the landlord which could negatively impact upon your future chances of getting accommodation with you pet(s).

I'd be upfront with prospective landlords about having your pets. That way they'll realise you're being honest from the outset. Tell them that you have lots of references from previous landlords who can attest to your pet's/pets' good behaviour. Offering an additional 'pet deposit' may also help your cause, while also demonstrating that you're being responsible and confident in your dog's behaviour.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I wouldn't lie/not disclose it to a landlord.
    I would, if you find the right place, perhaps offer an extra deposit incentive in order to keep the dog.

As another poster has said, I would rather have a responsible pet owner as a tenant than irresponsible parents. And there's so many bloody parents who's little darlings can do no wrong.

I recently renovated my rental house after a parent with a 5 year old moved out. Having put on new solid oak doors and retiled the bathroom it was soul destroying having to try and scrub black marker from the door and tiles. Not to mention the green and pink markers from the kitchen wall and the red paint from the living room floor. The house is now let out to a pet owner who keeps the house pristine compared to the parent.

And I had nightmares about fcuking stickers - after spending a day scraping them off walls, bedsteads, dressers, doors, floors...:mad::mad:

Sorry..rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't lie, just in the initial contact (phone calls) with prospective landlords do not mention the dog.

When you go to view, make a good impression, then casually say "We have a few more places to look at, we also have a dog, would that be an issue"

In this climate i think a lot of landlords would let it slip

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've found that even if a place says 'No pets', if I ask the landlord directly they don't normally have an issue with it.

My current place said no pets, I have 5 fishtanks, 2 mouse cages, and a large unsociable rabbit. Last time the landlord was over, he was wondering why we didn't have a dog, and recommended we get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

My lease said no pets or animals, called up the landlord, said the lads i was living with don't mind her being there and she's house trained and thats all the landlady cared about.

Before I told her though i went on to daft.ie and in the refined search extras i put in "pets allowed" and pages of houses came up! Try that cause i found a good lash of houses in Cork that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Where are you looking to rent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I have a dog that I didnt mention to my landlady I got him after living here for a year,the previous tenent had a big dog so I didnt see any problem he is walked twice a day so never barks and I am happy to replace anything he should damage not that he does (besides my shoes ) I think people might panic if you say you have a dog as they are not to know if you are going to have the dog tearing the place apart and barking day and night.There was no mention of not having pets in the advertisment or lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

As others have asked - where are you looking to rent, how much room do you need/want and how much are you looking to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

Hi guys,

Sorry for late reply and thank you for all your replies. I am looking in Carlow. Prob 2 bedrooms at least and about €600. I would ideally like a house with a small(ish) back garden. Mowing the lawn in the house I am in is killing me :)

Most of the places I have seen say no pets. I have rang/emailed a few places and I am surprised but most do not get back to me. I am beginning to think that the whole idea of a renters market (in Carlow anyway) is a myth.

I don't think I would have the nerve to not mention my pet. I would rather be upfront. The idea of offering a higher deposit is a good one though. I would reckon most ppl would be interested in that. I have shared with many people over the past number of years and he is definitely one of the cleaner ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

It's not just Carlow that EAs don't get back to you, vernon. It's all over the country. There are so many out there who just give the impression of being lazy and feel that renters should keep running after them! :rolleyes:

Keep trying, though. You'll find somewhere suitable for you and your dog. Best of luck!

Definitely agree with you over the cleanliness issue. My dogs who spend the day 'helping' me clean out the stables are actually cleaner than an absolutely horrendously messy and dirty housemate I once lived with, whose room stank. The dogs' room (bed) actually smelled a lot better, even without getting a bath! :D

Advertisement