Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest place for a sandwich/roll in city centre

Options
  • 05-08-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

It seems that any deli or cafe I go into in Dublin all have the same filling options for their sandwiches- breaded chicken, sausages, sliced ham or chicken. Where's the sense of adventure I asks ye?? Are there any delies that have a wider variety of fillings? Spicy meats, cooked joints etc? I'll be in Dubalin today, and will be feeling peckish, and, after watching Man Vs Food, I'm in the mood for something other than a chicken fillet baguette!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Einhard wrote: »
    It seems that any deli or cafe I go into in Dublin all have the same filling options for their sandwiches- breaded chicken, sausages, sliced ham or chicken. Where's the sense of adventure I asks ye?? Are there any delies that have a wider variety of fillings? Spicy meats, cooked joints etc? I'll be in Dubalin today, and will be feeling peckish, and, after watching Man Vs Food, I'm in the mood for something other than a chicken fillet baguette!

Fallon and Byrne are a little pricy, but have a huge range of 'exotic' sambos and fillings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Pig and Heifer down near Connolly do nice sandwiches.
    Their menu - nyom....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

spurious wrote: »
    Their menu - nyom....

In spite of having worked in the area for over 20 years, I've never been there. What sort of breads do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Their menu - nyom....

Clicked on the link there. Never knew they had more than one location

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    In spite of having worked in the area for over 20 years, I've never been there. What sort of breads do they have?
    I've only ever had sandwiches on sourdough there. I can't really say what others they have.
    Not a sign of an oul' Mr. Brennan though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Their menu - nyom....

Beautiful, just beautiful

Get there early OP, there does be queues out the door at Amiens St at lunchtime. Always a sign of a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

There's a new bakery in temple bar, not sure of name, parliament st Dublin. Honestly the best sambo in town, they mae their own breads and rolls, and they are quality I promise. As for te cakes, don't get me started!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Meant to say parliament street end of temple bar

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was going to post about this café on Pearse Street that did nice and unusual sandwiches and realised that it's also the Pig & Heifer (a different branch). Well worth trying out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah Pig&Heifer is nice but it seems the same sandwich can vary wildly depending on who serves you or unless you give them detailed instructions on how you want it made. What it says on the menu is not always what you get, one day I got a sandwich that was completely slathered in Dalkey Mustard and another day I had a sandwich that was riddled with sliced pickle. Both times those ingredients weren't on the menu for their respective sandwiches. Okay rant over.

Other sandwich that gets an honorable mention is the chicken and bacon triple decker in O'Briens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Angel Park on Mount Street can't be beaten, top notch ingredients

http://www.angelparkeatery.com/deli-menu.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pig & Heifer sandwiches are great but they'll send you to sleep around 3 though.

They're huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Swedish Food Company on Baggot street is nice too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Other sandwich that gets an honorable mention is the chicken and bacon triple decker in O'Briens!

Used to love them but in the O'Briens near me they seem to have changed the making of them slightly, and to its detriment. Used to be chicken paste stuff, now it's real chicken slices, used to be grated cheese, now it's cheese slices, the middle slice of bread isn't toasted and there's much less coleslaw! Not nearly as good and a lot of the time I'm not bothered explaining in detail how I'd like it made differently to whatever recipe they've been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Listons on Camden street, steak sandwich (and pretty much all the others) are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nother vote for the Pig & Heifer, especially the New York reuben

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

If I ever find a place that does a bacon and avo sub sandwich (pigged out on them when I did a stint in the US) I'll become a regular!!! Nomnomnomnomnom... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If I ever find a place that does a bacon and avo sub sandwich (pigged out on them when I did a stint in the US) I'll become a regular!!! Nomnomnomnomnom... :D

The pig and heifer does bacon and avo sandwiches, I had it on sourdough but I'm sure they'd do it on a roll of some type too.

Another place not mentioned yet is Brewbaker (small shop on Nassau St and bigger one on Frederick St), they do fantastic sambos and rolls, either off their menu or custom with fresh, great quality ingredients. Also their pre-made sambos are simply the best out there. (and they do one of the best frys in Dublin too)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you like bagels, Itsa bagel is quality too. There's one on abbey street (middle i think) which is actually a side entrance to arnotts, and one down a little lane opposite government buildings beside the merrion.
    The Its a reuben and holy cow are savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The couple of times I've gotten a roll from the Deli in Thunders Bakery in Drumcondra I've thought they were really good.

Went to try the Pig and Heifer opposite Connolly yesterday evening and it was closed @ 5pm :(

Really want to try it now that you're all recommending it in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

cson wrote: »
    Went to try the Pig and Heifer opposite Connolly yesterday evening and it was closed @ 5pm :(

Really want to try it now that you're all recommending it in here.

Oh they close earlier then that, by 3:30pm most of their days stock is gone

Need to get there early ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's mccabes on the corner of townsend street (I think) The sandwiches in there are fairly swish from what I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

For D8 area, Mannings Bakery on Thomas Street does some really nice and out-of-the-ordinary sandwiches.

Advertisement