Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water in meat?

• 05-08-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

I figure this is probably the best place to ask.

For the first time in years I was reluctantly forced to cook up some supermarket meat last night and the amount of water that came out of it was unbelievable. No doubt this extra water is a great scheme to give the meat extra weight when it comes to pricing.

My question is this. Who puts the water in it? I doubt the abatoir would do it, and I cant imagine supermarkets having staff out the back dedicated to filling meat full of water? And is there an actual point to doing it? Or is it some sort of legit way to rip people of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You are made up of 60% water yourself. Meat naturally is made up of a high water content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You are made up of 60% water yourself. Meat naturally is made up of a high water content.

I dont expect the meat to be bone dry. But there was a very noticeable difference compared to meat I usually get from the butchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Mike87 wrote: »

I dont expect the meat to be bone dry. But there was a very noticeable difference compared to meat I usually get from the butchers.

Yes it is common practice for farmers to stuff animals full of water. Farmers buy great big bags of water at the co-op and generally stuff it up the animals arse.

Some farmers grow their own crops of water out in the fields. Bumper crop of it this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I figure this is probably the best place to ask.

For the first time in years I was reluctantly forced to cook up some supermarket meat last night and the amount of water that came out of it was unbelievable. No doubt this extra water is a great scheme to give the meat extra weight when it comes to pricing.

My question is this. Who puts the water in it? I doubt the abatoir would do it, and I cant imagine supermarkets having staff out the back dedicated to filling meat full of water? And is there an actual point to doing it? Or is it some sort of legit way to rip people of?

Salt water is routinely added to chicken meat. I am pretty sure its not illegal as long as its advertised. I have no idea if its widespread in Ireland or where though. There is plenty of information about it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Moral of the story - buy from the local butcher. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Most likely that this meat was in frozen storage at some stage.
    Buy from your butcher in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Ham is injected with brine, it's quicker and cheaper than dry salting.

Other meats do not generally have water added but the longer hanging of meat by good butchers dries out the meat and intensifies the flavour. Supermarkets tend to use a vacuum ageing method (if at all) where the meat is vacuum packed and stored, this means that the meat doesn't lose any moisture/weight but doesn't gain any flavour either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

20silkcut wrote: »
    Yes it is common practice for farmers to stuff animals full of water. Farmers buy great big bags of water at the co-op and generally stuff it up the animals arse.

Some farmers grow their own crops of water out in the fields. Bumper crop of it this year.

No need to be a prick about it, I didnt say it was anything to do with farmers, I just figured you lot might have a better idea then the average joe in the street.

It was actually sausages. I cooked up about 12 of them and at the end they were swimming in water on the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

I'd say the big retailers wouldn't be beyond something like that just look at what they do to chicken meat , and the fat & offal from meat processing has become valuable why ? maybe more of it is being included in processed food products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

20silkcut wrote: »

ill try not to flood the market with it this year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Buy from the local butcher

A lot with be in Guild of master craftsmen but they can still be excellent if they are not members

Ask any question you want OP. No matter what your question is they can answer it and give advice

You won't get that service in a supermarket buying packaged meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ah now you cant beat superquinn sausages, there the best there is yummy....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

In the last 20/30 years meat has got leaner with less fat, lean meat is made up of protein which is 2/3rds water so as the level of lean goes up so does the water.

However its only partly the reason due to things like freezing of food and preservation techniques but nothing wrong with good quality local meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It was actually sausages. I cooked up about 12 of them and at the end they were swimming in water on the pan.

Water or Oil?

There is a massive difference cheap sausages and those with a high meat count. You are probably also aware that sausages are a processed food product, we farmers don't grow them!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

I taught a sausage was part of a pigs anatomy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    I taught a sausage was part of a pigs anatomy

No. Its only the cocktail sausages that are. They are the sows teats.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

I dont think the OP is having a go at farmers, rather asking them for their expert opinion.

Advertisement