Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIB number? (Número de Identificação Bancário)

Options
  • 05-08-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I have a friend in Portugal who is trying to send me some money through her bank. She says she requires an NIB number, I've given her my Sort Code and Bank account number but don't know what an NIB is?

I'm with AIB also.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Crow92 wrote: »
    I have a friend in Portugal who is trying to send me some money through her bank. She says she requires an NIB number, I've given her my Sort Code and Bank account number but don't know what an NIB is?

I'm with AIB also.
    Probably your swift or BIC code. AIB code is AIBKIE2D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For payments within Europe you should quote the IBAN (normally quoted on your paper bank statement somewhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Since the introduction of SEPA (Single European Payment Area), banks use IBAN and BIC codes for transferring between accounts. Your Irish bank account number & sort code are only used within Ireland. From sometime this year / early next year, they will completely replace those with IBAN and BIC even for national payments.

You need to give her your IBAN number & BIC code.
    These are quoted at the top of your statements (online or paper)

If you've any issues, or don't have a statement / access to statements online ring AIB phone banking and they should be able to figure your IBAN and BIC codes out for you.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/online-services/Phone-Banking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Thanks lads for all the replies, I think we got it sorted :)

Advertisement