Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about the future

Options
  • 05-08-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey, I'm new to Boards so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area.

I'm heading into 3rd year Pharmacology, and thinking more about the future. I came in to omnibus science in UCD, thinking of pursuing a more neuroscience route, but fell in love with pharmacology. However, I'm at the stage where I'm unsure as to where this is leading me. I'm a bit embarrassed discussing this, I sound so clueless.

I'm more interested in the biomedical as opposed to med chem side of things. I've been considering a few options but it's more day dreaming than anything.

My Dad is trying to convince me to consider GEM, which i've wanted to do in the past but I'm not sure if another lengthy period in college is what I want. If I make the decision to do GEM I understand the level of work required and I'm not afraid of that. I'm just worried that I end up doing something simply because my Dad wants me to.

I've looked at the possibility of spending the money on doing a TEFL, and travel to SEA when I finish for a while. Would this be beneficial or a waste of time while I could be continuing on education after my undergrad?

I've always wanted to get into the research side of Pharmacology but I really don't know how this can come about. I read research papers all the time and am fascinated by it. If someone could explain how I could pursue this route I would be really grateful.

Sorry for the rambling and disjointedness of this post but I would really appreciate all and any help here. There's plenty of paths I can take and I just need to understand the consequences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Y.O.L.O wrote: »
    I've looked at the possibility of spending the money on doing a TEFL, and travel to SEA when I finish for a while. Would this be beneficial or a waste of time while I could be continuing on education after my undergrad?

Of all the things you say, this is the one that you almost certainly won't regret. It's a long life. If you have the opportunity to trek around SE Asia teaching, then go for it.

If you want to get into research, then you'll see PhDs advertised in your final year. Pick one with a topic that interests you and approach the supervisor. If you're going to do that, find something that REALLY interests you and then try to find a PhD topic that involves that field. You can also go to a supervisor with a research proposal.

GEM is another option, but I have no idea how people are paying back those loans on an SHO's salary, and I think you could be in for quite a few years with very little money.

if it were me, I'd be off to Asia and making the decision when I get home :D

Advertisement