Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary schools in Cork City

• 05-08-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm coming to Cork to study my PhD at UCC and will be bringing my 8 year old son. Does anyone have any info on local schools in Cork city centre? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

The nearest one to UCC would probably be Glasheen school, which is just around the corner from College Road. There's also a boys and a girls school in Sunday's Well. St Patrick's have an infant school and a primary school up by Dillon's Cross. There's also Cork Educate Together school on Grattan Street. That's all I can think of.

Hope you like Cork, it's dayyyycent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 porlaw

Thanks! Will get googling:)

I have also posted elsewhere as I'm looking to lodge with a family or house share with other single parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Chloris wrote: »
    The nearest one to UCC would probably be Glasheen school, which is just around the corner from College Road. There's also a boys and a girls school in Sunday's Well. St Patrick's have an infant school and a primary school up by Dillon's Cross. There's also Cork Educate Together school on Grattan Street. That's all I can think of.

Hope you like Cork, it's dayyyycent!

If you can get a place in Glasheen boys school, then I would highly recommend it. It is very close to UCC and it is an excellent school.The other schools mentioned are a bit far away but a certain amount depends on where you are living. One further advantage with Glasheen is that there is an aftercare facility there. It is also just up the road from UCC creche but I would imagine you would need to make enquiries from both as soon as possible. UCC creche is called 'Creche Cois Laoi' Email: creche@ucc.ie and the email for Glasheen is office@glasheenboys.com

Hope that helps and best of luck on your move to Cork.

Thanks, thats really helpful!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 Johnny1001

As you have a child, I would advise you to avoid the areas close to UCC.
    Student parties next door are great when you are 19/20, but not such fun if you have a child who needs to sleep and has to get up for school the next morning.

I think you should consider searching in a more family-friendly area. Ballincollig is a great spot, reasonable rents, loads of young families, good schools, and a short bus ride to UCC.

• Advertisement

Johnny1001 wrote: »
    As you have a child, I would advise you to avoid the areas close to UCC.
    Student parties next door are great when you are 19/20, but not such fun if you have a child who needs to sleep and has to get up for school the next morning.

I think you should consider searching in a more family-friendly area. Ballincollig is a great spot, reasonable rents, loads of young families, good schools, and a short bus ride to UCC.
    Ballincollig would be appallingly far, you could happily live in Glasheen or around Dennehy's Cross with a very short route to UCC, just don't live on College Road or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Also have a look at Greenmount N.S. ....not far from the Lough and walking distance from UCC. It's co-ed. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 Johnny1001

Ballincollig would be appallingly far, you could happily live in Glasheen or around Dennehy's Cross with a very short route to UCC, just don't live on College Road or anything!

Ballincollig is just a bus route away, hardly 'appallingly far'! :rolleyes:

The whole area around UCC, not just College Road, is just not a great area to raise children as there are too many student rentals, and rental houses in general. There are very few children in the area and it's not really safe to play outside due to traffic, rat runs and skangers/druggies that seem to hang around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Johnny1001 wrote: »
    Ballincollig is just a bus route away, hardly 'appallingly far'! :rolleyes:

The whole area around UCC, not just College Road, is just not a great area to raise children as there are too many student rentals, and rental houses in general. There are very few children in the area and it's not really safe to play outside due to traffic, rat runs and skangers/druggies that seem to hang around.

Woah! That's a bit harsh. The Lough is a lovely area and very near UCC. Ballincollig (even though it's on the bus route), is a long way from UCC

The only bus I can think that goes to Ballincollig and past UCC is the 232 or something, a country bus which has very limited stops on the route and barely ever comes.

There are loads of lovely housing estates along the Magazine Road or Glasheen Road. You could even go further towards Bishopstown; somewhere along the Model Farm Road or out in Wilton. No need to move to Ballincollig. Most of it is a hole anyway.

• Advertisement

I've enroled my son into Glasheen which will mean I will be able to drop him off and be close by every day. At the moment the options seem to be Rochestown, Douglas and Wilton.

Would anyone know about applying for rent allowance - if this is an option for students?

porlaw wrote: »
    I've enroled my son into Glasheen which will mean I will be able to drop him off and be close by every day. At the moment the options seem to be Rochestown, Douglas and Wilton.

Would anyone know about applying for rent allowance - if this is an option for students?
    As far as I know, it's not possible to receive welfare or housing allowances when you're a student. I'd say you'd have to apply for a grant, but I also think you might be too late...

https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/uiid000012299/gap300.xsp

Apply on the www.studentfinance.ie website if the deadline isn't up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

As far as I know, it's not possible to receive welfare or housing allowances when you're a student. I'd say you'd have to apply for a grant, but I also think you might be too late...

https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/uiid000012299/gap300.xsp

Apply on the www.studentfinance.ie website if the deadline isn't up!

The deadline is 31 August, so still a bit of time left!! A lot has been cut back for postgrad students though when it comes to grants, so don't hold your breath. Still, costs nothing to apply anyway! :)

Thanks for this. Stumbling block seems to be that I don't have a PPS number and certainly won't have one before the end of August. I'm sure UCC will be able to help when I get there.

Advertisement