Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a hinge on a cheap cupboard door

Options
  • 05-08-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. First-time poster here.

One of the hinges of a cupboard door in my kitchen has broken.

Broken hinge:
    215833.jpg

Example of an unbroken hinge:
    215834.jpg

I'd bring it to a shop and look for a replacement, but I'm not sure how to get the hinge off the door, as it's not secured with a screw or bolt. The white plastic disc at the back, however, does turn a little in its housing in the door, though not to the extent that I think it's screwed in.

Is anyone familiar with hinges of these type? Are they replaceable, or is it such a cheap unit that you have to replace the whole door?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

just wonderin did you try to lift /remove the plastic part

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If the hole for the hinge is 35mm wide then new hinges can be got. You may also be able to get hinges the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Thank you both for the replies.

The hole into which the white plastic disc is inserted is indeed 35mm wide.

I can't lift the white plastic disc out of the hole. It does turn 360 degrees in the hole though. I'll give it taking it out another go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bit of force with a vise-grips got it out. It was screwed in, in a manner of speaking: the side of the plastic disc had a thread.

216025.jpg

216026.jpg

I'll bring that unit to a hardware store with me.

Thank you both very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Standard cabinet hinges should work then. Just remove the top hinge and replace both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement