Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poweredge Sever Sc1435

Options
  • 05-08-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a Dell server yesterday and was told i would have to program it. Now tis my first time dealing with any of this so im a noob, but you have to learn somewhere i guess. Problem is i just dont know where to start. :confused:

Ive been in through the settings and stuff. Was told there was suppose to be windows sever 2003 on it. Just have to try and get to it first.

When you start up you get the dell start up bar and then have the usual options to f1 and all those. Without pressing anything i let it go to the loading, where it tells me all bits bout the hardware. But keeps telling me that the SATA port A was not found. continues on then gives me the F1 option to continue and the F2 to run setup. F1 doesnt respond unless loading from a boot which i cant do either and F2 just basic.

What i have noticed is that after certain amount of downtime the server seems to reset itself and asks to input date and time. Also reading the manual with the amber light on flashing which should be blue there is a problem somewhere. Got that much, just dont know where to go from here?

Any help or links to sites would be grateful. thinking of putting Ubuntu server on it just to mess around with. Sever is not big deal just for practicing really.

Thanks,
    Jhcx

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

So this is a 2nd hand server? How many hard disks are installed? Can you enter into the RAID configuration during boot to see if there's a logical disk created? If you plan to install Ubuntu you can use it as a live cd first to check if its detecting drives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

LoGiE wrote: »
    So this is a 2nd hand server? How many hard disks are installed? Can you enter into the RAID configuration during boot to see if there's a logical disk created? If you plan to install Ubuntu you can use it as a live cd first to check if its detecting drives

Yep tis a second hand one. There is one in it. i also put in my own pc one to see if i could get anything from that. so now i have SATA A and B not found. coming up as unrecognized devices. hmm cant seem to... unless im going wrong somewhere, should come up under F10?(from what ive been reading)

I cant boot from the CD its currently in the drive. When i hit F11 it brings me the the choice of hard drive and the IDE CD-Drive choosing that just does not gives me the flashing bar and wont boot

tried to go into F10 but just says utility partition not available.

I presume im going to run into difficulties having 2 different hard drives in? one being 250gb and havent looked at the other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

In case you haven't already take a look here for the manual. It details how to access the BIOS etc.

Reboot.
    Power Down and Install a single drive that you know is working.
    Restart and Log into Bios and confirm the server has detected the drive you installed. Also confirm the server has detected the CD Drive
    (Repeat above For 2nd Drive)

Let me know what happens now.

Advertisement