Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WERS waste overweight charge

Options
  • 05-08-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi
    I was wondering does anyone have any experience with WERS charging them for bins being overweight.

I am on the pay per lift option and left out my bin on Wed, got a text on thurs telling me the bin was 401kg overweight and I would be charged 80euro for it.

There is no way the bin could possibly have been that weight- thats 63 stone :eek: - it may have been a little overwight, I wouldnt query that, but this is insane!

I was just wondering how querying this with them is likely to turn out, I mean I have no way of proving what weight the bin was when I put it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

We use WERS. We haven't had any issue with them.
    Contacting them directly on Tuesday might just be your best bet ... errors happen ... ;)

V

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

HI Op,

I had problem with WERS before !!! So be very careful of them. We have now moved to Barna waste and find them 100 % than WERS.

WERS have a bad name for trying to over charge customers etc...

Left us no how you get on resolving you issue.... Best of luck with it :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

JuliaJones wrote: »
    Hi
    I was wondering does anyone have any experience with WERS charging them for bins being overweight.

I am on the pay per lift option and left out my bin on Wed, got a text on thurs telling me the bin was 401kg overweight and I would be charged 80euro for it.

There is no way the bin could possibly have been that weight- thats 63 stone :eek: - it may have been a little overwight, I wouldnt query that, but this is insane!

I was just wondering how querying this with them is likely to turn out, I mean I have no way of proving what weight the bin was when I put it out?

That's nearly half a Ton, that cannot be right, unless it was full of lead

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JuliaJones

Doom wrote: »
    That's nearly half a Ton, that cannot be right, unless it was full of lead

Haha, I said to my house mate I would doubt it would weigh that if we filled it with concrete!

If it were 4kg, I would have just paid it and never questioned it.

I'm thinking they wont dispute it seeing as its an obscene amount though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

ya i had problems with them as well , pay by bin was great in the start but it didn't last long , they said people were abusing the system , packing bins, and not putting them out every week , ya i was one that abused it, 3 months i used to get out of a bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

kerryted wrote: »
    ya i had problems with them as well , pay by bin was great in the start but it didn't last long , they said people were abusing the system , packing bins, and not putting them out every week , ya i was one that abused it, 3 months i used to get out of a bin.

They never stated we had to put the bins out every week
    What did they expect us to do, put out a bin that wasn't even 1/4 full?
    I think the pay per bin was just a stroke to reel us in
    With just me and the missus and our conscientious recycling in the local free recycling centre, we only had a full bin every 2 months
    Then they imposed a levy of €5 per month which doubled the cost of my refuse collection
    I couldn't afford the extra charge and had to dispense with the service
    I didn't mind paying charges for an overweight bin but they wanted that payment and the monthly levy as well
    They're just greedy, penny wise pound foolish.
    I wasn't adding to their operational charges, they still had to drive by my house to collect my neighbours bins.
    If I didn't have any refuse for them then it wasn't costing them to dispose of it.
    Cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kerryted wrote: »
    That's not abusing the system, that's responsible waste management what we're being encouraged to do.
    bagels wrote: »
    What did they expect us to do, put out a bin that wasn't even 1/4 full?
    Clearly.

I get a good 2 months out of my bins, at this stage I'm in debt about a fiver and I don't see how I'm going to fill my bins inside of a month.

At this rate I'm going to have to start looking for alternatives because I'm just paying to have the bins sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not abusing the system, that's responsible waste management what we're being encouraged to do.

Clearly.

I get a good 2 months out of my bins, at this stage I'm in debt about a fiver and I don't see how I'm going to fill my bins inside of a month.

At this rate I'm going to have to start looking for alternatives because I'm just paying to have the bins sit there.

Ya you would be amassed how much you can recycle when you go about it i find if you keep on top of it ,it only takes 5 minutes every evening, and a trip to recycle center every month in tuam and you are sorted . If you have bins you will use them and you think you could never do with out them, but you can

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

JuliaJones wrote: »
    Hi

A few years ago we received an overweighht charge. I visited the office and they found one lift of ~500kg while all the others over the last 6 months was ~50kg.

No questions asked. They axed the 500Kg lift as a sensor error and cancelled the charge.

I'd advise visiting their office to review your lift history. I hope you get the same treatment I did.

HI Op,

I had problem with WERS before !!! So be very careful of them. We have now moved to Barna waste and find them 100 % than WERS.

WERS have a bad name for trying to over charge customers etc...

Left us no how you get on resolving you issue.... Best of luck with it :rolleyes:

Hi
    Well I have rang several times and emailed them on Tues and have had no reply, I will continue to try contact them but I must say its a tad frustrating!
    Will update if and when I get through to them!

• Advertisement

Some12 wrote: »
    A few years ago we received an overweighht charge. I visited the office and they found one lift of ~500kg while all the others over the last 6 months was ~50kg.

No questions asked. They axed the 500Kg lift as a sensor error and cancelled the charge.

I'd advise visiting their office to review your lift history. I hope you get the same treatment I did.

Oh I hope it goes like that for me, thanks for giving me hope !

I may go to the office on Monday if I havnt gotten a reply by then, Thanks!

Well I finally got a reply from WERS today, after numerous calls and emails which date back to 3rd August, they are clearing the charge which is good, they said they couldnt understand how the error occurred.
    I am pleased the charge is being cleared, I still think their customer service is shocking though!

Advertisement