Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fat boy RUN !!!!!!!!

Options
  • 05-08-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey there ,

First time poster to the forum here. I have recently taken up running to help me reduce my weight and so far I have lost 15 Lbs.

I would like to register for a 10k in September preferably in Dublin or Louth. Can some people direct me please. Obviously I don't want to compete against the big boys. I want to take part and develop.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done on getting started and the impressive weight loss. How recently have you started training? How you done any shorter races to date and if so how did they go? RunIreland generally has a comprehensive list of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Basster wrote: »
    Well done on getting started and the impressive weight loss. How recently have you started training? How you done any shorter races to date and if so how did they go? RunIreland generally has a comprehensive list of races.

I'm just going out running by myself. For instance today I ran 4.2 miles in 37mins 31 secs

Average pace approx 9.20
    In the last 30 days , I have run approx 44miles.

I have never ran any race in my life but would be keen on getting started any advice is appreciated.

Ok grand. But I assume you may have been running a few months?

My advice is that going by your mileage you need to just build up a bit more. 4 miles at 9 minute miles is fine so you're making progress and you should be able to make the 10k distance in time without a problem. Are you out of breath at that pace?

What I would suggest is just getting the miles in at this stage and run slowly, such that you could keep a conversation (hypothetically; you mention you train alone). Building up your aerobic capacity is key, so don't be too concerned with pace for now. Hal Higdon's plans are always suggested, so maybe have a look at this: http://halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

For now, 3/4 runs a week should be plenty. Just take the pace nice and easy. And try not to run on concrete on all your runs, gravelly tracks and grass will give your legs a break. The key session being the longer 4/5 mile jog on a Saturday or Sunday.

In terms of the 10k race, maybe try to squeeze a 5k in first so a) the 10k won't be your first race and b) it'll calm you down a bit on race day hopefully.
    Try a lowish-mileage week coming up to the race and take 2 days off beforehand. (Advice differs on this point).

But if you remember nothing else from my admittedly patchy advice, do NOT get carried away in the first 3/4 km. That's where most newcomers get caught out and can be dead on the their feet at 7km. You might want to go faster but please hold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Little Pea wrote: »
    I would like to register for a 10k in September preferably in Dublin or Louth. Can some people direct me please. Obviously I don't want to compete against the big boys. I want to take part and develop.

Everyone runs in the same races, the only thing is to make sure you don't start too close to the front for your ability.
    There's a race calendar in the thread here, with links to discussions of upcoming races. How about the Lakes 10k in Blessington, or the BHAA 10k in Firhouse?

Ok grand. But I assume you may have been running a few months?

Been running for the last 2 months , really starting off very slow/walking and have built myself up now.
    My advice is that going by your mileage you need to just build up a bit more. 4 miles at 9 minute miles is fine so you're making progress and you should be able to make the 10k distance in time without a problem. Are you out of breath at that pace?

So dont worry about the pace ?? Just clock up the miles for the time been ?? is that what you mean ??
    Hal Higdon's plans are always suggested, so maybe have a look at this: http://halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

Thanks for the link, Had a read of it and I think its ideal to what I am looking for at the moment
    For now, 3/4 runs a week should be plenty. Just take the pace nice and easy. And try not to run on concrete on all your runs, gravelly tracks and grass will give your legs a break. The key session being the longer 4/5 mile jog on a Saturday or Sunday.

In terms of the 10k race, maybe try to squeeze a 5k in first so a) the 10k won't be your first race and b) it'll calm you down a bit on race day hopefully.
    Try a lowish-mileage week coming up to the race and take 2 days off beforehand. (Advice differs on this point).

But if you remember nothing else from my admittedly patchy advice, do NOT get carried away in the first 3/4 km. That's where most newcomers get caught out and can be dead on the their feet at 7km. You might want to go faster but please hold back.

Thanks for the great advice I really appreciate it. I have decided to give a 5k run a bash before attempting a 10k for the above reasons . There seems to be one on the 23rd of September in Rathfarnham
    RayCun wrote: »
    Everyone runs in the same races, the only thing is to make sure you don't start too close to the front for your ability.
    There's a race calendar in the thread here, with links to discussions of upcoming races. How about the Lakes 10k in Blessington, or the BHAA 10k in Firhouse?

Thanks for that thread. There is a run as i mentioned above which could suit me perfect in starting off the 5k in Rathfarnham, but there is no other details about this.. Any idea where I could find details ??

Thanks for the advice here guys.

LP

• Advertisement

Yes, Rathfarnham 5k is a very good race, well run, lots of people, all standards there. More info on the club site here.

Little Pea wrote: »

So dont worry about the pace ?? Just clock up the miles for the time been ?? is that what you mean ??

LP

To an extent yes. What I'm wondering is, are you at your limit doing 9 minute miles at the moment? i.e. are you pretty out of breath and requiring recovery after 4 miles of such? My suggestion would be slowing down most of your miles to 9.45 / 10 ish and getting the miles in a bit easier if you're at your limit.

In otherwords don't always be running at your maximum effort. It'll increase the risk of injury and just tire you out. If you're not doing that then great.
    Hope that makes sense.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, Rathfarnham 5k is a very good race, well run, lots of people, all standards there. More info on the club site here.

That is perfect , Im going to give that a go :-) .... baby steps at the start :-)
    To an extent yes. What I'm wondering is, are you at your limit doing 9 minute miles at the moment? i.e. are you pretty out of breath and requiring recovery after 4 miles of such? My suggestion would be slowing down most of your miles to 9.45 / 10 ish and getting the miles in a bit easier if you're at your limit.

In otherwords don't always be running at your maximum effort. It'll increase the risk of injury and just tire you out. If you're not doing that then great.
    Hope that makes sense.

I wouldn't say I'm flat out when running 4 mile. I feel it more in my head when I realise that im about to run further that I have. I have no issues the of fatigue etc the day after a run. I give myself a good stretch before and after a work out obviously ;-)

What should I be increasing my miles too ??

The plan would suggest peaking at 5.5 miles, but plenty of weeks with a longest run of 4 to 5 miles. But only doing that distance once a week.

I wouldn't argue with the plan.

The plan would suggest peaking at 5.5 miles, but plenty of weeks with a longest run of 4 to 5 miles. But only doing that distance once a week.

I wouldn't argue with the plan.

Perfect, I shall try stick to the plan as best I can. Thanks so much for your help and advice on this thread. I will keep you informed of how I am getting on with increasing my mileage. I am going to register for that 5k first and give that a proper go.

• Advertisement

Instead of the run today , I did the cross training. I have a good Lapierre hybrid bike so I cycled 12 miles today to get into the swing of things. It was nice to take a break from running.

Just registered today for my first race the 5k ;-) .

So now its real :-)

Training going well so far. I am mixing running up with a bit of cycling. I have increased my mileage as well so the 5k will be no problem to me. My goal is to beat my personal best anyway :-)

Ran the 5k today in 26:09 which is a new pb m very happy.....

I have my running up to 10k now on my long days , and hoping to get my time down to below 60 mins now... will keep you guys updated when I sign up to my first 10k race.

Why not start a training log?

Might be a better Idea. Maybe you could move this thread for me then ?? Might make it abit easier for you ?? Rather then clogging up your forum :-D

Here you go. Want a new title?

Can you change the thread to Run Fat boy RUN !!!!!!!! Many thanks...

So quick update for myself more then anything, I havent been on a run since the 26th of September I had man flu !!!

So I am hoping to get out tonight for a quick jog just to get back into it more then anything. Just a 5k to ease back into it.

The next race I plan to sign up to is the 10k run inthe Phoenix park in December.

So going to start upping my longer distanance runs

Have my running back up to 10k again, best time is just little over 1hr. I want to bring that down under 1hr before my race in the phoenix park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement