Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play musical instruments

Options
  • 05-08-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I am a 36 year old and ive spent my whole life loving music and wished that i could play a musical instrument, then about 3 years ago my other half said why the hell don't you just get off your butt and do it, so she bought myself a alto saxophone for my birthday.

I've mainly spent this time on and off trying to self teach myself, well this is mainly because i'm a bit embarrassed by the terrible sound i was making at the start, I have got a lot better since but still a hell of a long way from being good, as i have a very young family its incredibly difficult to play such a loud instrument.

At the very start I took some lessons to get the basics right but i found and still do at this stage difficult to afford the expense of it all.
    For Christmas i got a guitar and i've hardly touched that , I bought it because i thought id be able to play in the evening when the kids are in bed, working till quite late doesn't suit the saxophone enthusiast. don't get me wrong im still 100% committed to playing sax but at the start i was 50/50 whether to buy the sax or guitar so after a couple of years said to hell with it and get the guitar and try to learn the both.

Ive bought many books on Saxophone studies and learning music but i still at this stage find myself wishing i could push myself a little more and get over that hurdle.

I don't so much want to play in a band or make any money from it, i just want to be able to play music, my favorite music, a release from the daily grind of work and family commitments.

The reason i'm writing this thread is because I was thinking there's got to be loads of people out there in the kingdom that's always wanted to play some sort of musical instrument but hasn't done it, or like me feels embarrassed by it, feels their to old now to do something about it, or even cant afford to do something about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I hear ya! I have many instruments too but never learned to play them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I hear ya! I have many instruments too but never learned to play them properly.

Ditto.
    I've given up any ambition to learn now, but I do have a nice collection of instruments. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I started learning the guitar when I was about 13/14 and stopped at around 15 to concentrate on my junior cert, and then my teacher actually passed away not long after so I never kept it up and always regret that! I still remember some cords and my husband can play a bit, so I keep bugging him to help me learn again! I will again eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

My 6 year old wants a drum set has been talking about it for a long time I think I will get him a set for Xmas but is 6 too young for lessons? I don't know where to start with this I did music for three years in secondary school, played a bit of piano as a child but other than that I'm lost? Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Damit wrote: »
    My 6 year old wants a drum set has been talking about it for a long time I think I will get him a set for Xmas but is 6 too young for lessons? I don't know where to start with this I did music for three years in secondary school, played a bit of piano as a child but other than that I'm lost? Any ideas

First step= ear-plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

ejmaztec wrote: »
    First step= ear-plugs.

:) Yes already covered my partner plays the guitar ... badly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Damit wrote: »
    :) Yes already covered my partner plays the guitar ... badly :D

Might also be worth investing in a sound-proof room while the pair of them hone their skills in preparation for the sell-out world tour.:P

Advertisement