Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Along the Canal

Options
  • 05-08-2012 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi..
    I was travelling through Mullingar yesterday and noticed some of the toepath along the canal has been cleared and surfaced for cycling..

Can anyone tell me if the tarmac path goes far along the canal and would it be worth travelling with my bike to cycle it... Ideally I'd like to head away from the town along the canal, with kids..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dunkey124

If you're talking about the nice side, over by the Loreto College, it seems to be done for quite a distance. I walked along it with my dog a few weeks ago for a bit, and it was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

dunkey124 wrote: »
    If you're talking about the nice side, over by the Loreto College, it seems to be done for quite a distance. I walked along it with my dog a few weeks ago for a bit, and it was lovely.

Im not local so I'm not sure where your talking about.. I came in from Kells and noticed it as I crossed over the bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dunkey124

Ok, well there's a few bridges and there's quite a lot of canal in Mullinger, so let's try and narrow it down, yes? Did you pass through the centre of Mullingar town? Did you pass any shops/shopping centres like a Subway or a Dunnes Store in a shopping centre called the Harbour Place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

bbam wrote: »
    Hi..
    I was travelling through Mullingar yesterday and noticed some of the toepath along the canal has been cleared and surfaced for cycling..

Can anyone tell me if the tarmac path goes far along the canal and would it be worth travelling with my bike to cycle it... Ideally I'd like to head away from the town along the canal, with kids..

thanks

I was out walking my dogs along the canal today. The paths have been widened and the surface improved. Lots more people are cycling along the canal these days.

You best bet is to take the path towards Ballnacarrgy (10 miles away).

If you coming from Kells and are visiting for the day, maybe you could park in the Dunnes Stores car park. When you come out of that, turn right and the canal is just up the road a bit.

Take the nearest side of the canal.

As you cycle along the canal you will pass the train station. Then you will go under a new bridge. Then you will come to the Kilpatrick bridge.

The next is Belmount bridge - you go back on the road here. Either turn left and go to Lough Ennell or turn right and continue all the canal on the opposite side.

The next bridge is at Ballinea. After that is Shandonagh.

Then there is a beautiful locke called Coolnahay. You can stop here for a rest - there are picnic tables, small boats and ducks.

That is as far as I have gone. There is a path to Ballnacarrgy but I am not sure if it's suitable for bikes. You'll have to explore!

Guessing, it's about 6/7 miles to Coolnahay.

The map on this link shows the path:
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/the-royal-canal-way/10467

Maybe ring the CoCo if you need more info, maps, etc. or tourist centre.

(I think the CoCo have improved the paths in the opposite direction towards Dublin too. I walked it years ago but it wouldn't be as scenic.)

Hope that helps in some way.

dunkey124 wrote: »
    Ok, well there's a few bridges and there's quite a lot of canal in Mullinger, so let's try and narrow it down, yes? Did you pass through the centre of Mullingar town? Did you pass any shops/shopping centres like a Subway or a Dunnes Store in a shopping centre called the Harbour Place?

Guessing here but if he came in from Kells he would be travelling along the Delvin road, passing the Lakepoint shopping centre. So the nearest point to the canal would be near St Paul's church and Millie's/Statoil garage at the Old Dublin bridge. (Not knowing the town he probably doesn't know any of the landmarks.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks guys...
    its only about 45 minutes away so I might head down when the summer comes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I may stand corrected on this but i use to do a cycle to ballina and then used the canal into town and back to ballina. i followed the canal a couple of km from ballina away from mullingar once and it was all tough gravel, so it was pretty hard going (on a mountain bike, you wouldn do it on a road bike).

Having said that from mullingar to ballina and back is about 30 to 40 mins at most if your cycling for exercise and not leisure, the paths were smooth easy going tarmac and nice scenery all round. From mullingar the route i used follows the athlone road.

Old Perry wrote: »
    I may stand corrected on this but i use to do a cycle to ballina and then used the canal into town and back to ballina. i followed the canal a couple of km from ballina away from mullingar once and it was all tough gravel, so it was pretty hard going (on a mountain bike, you wouldn do it on a road bike).

You mean 'Ballinea' not 'Ballina'?

I walk my dogs out that direction alot. I was in Coolnahay yesterday.

The CoCo upgraded the paths a couple of years ago. A lot of people these days are cycling along that route. The path is solid and wide. Very suitable for road bikes.

I know for sure the path has definitely been upgraded up to Coolnahay. Bikes have passed me as I have headed back home so I reckon a path for road bikes must go further towards Ballnacarrgy.

I'll check the next time I am out. I am curious myself. (Searched google but couldn't find anything.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

fyi

you can cycle from Coralstown to Ballinea.
    From coralstown to Mullingar is not tarmaced, but is easily cycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    fyi

you can cycle from Coralstown to Ballinea.
    From coralstown to Mullingar is not tarmaced, but is easily cycled.

In fact you can go way beyond Coralstown. I have gone beyond Killucan. Theoretically there should be a towpath the whole way but the condition is variable.
    I notice recently the condition of the path deteriorating in parts between The Downs and Mullingar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement