Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new PC

Options
  • 05-08-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

My PC has finally decided to die on me and can't really run games anymore. Looking around on here, most people seem to use HWS. Am I right in thinking they only accept a bank transfer? Also, should I let them build it as I'm wary of letting myself do it..

1. What is your budget? €800-900

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. World of Tanks and Football Manager mainly, maybe some FPS games in the future.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? Maybe. I have a Compaq 7020 at the moment. Would it be compatible with a new build or can I get a better monitor relatively cheap?

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 19'-22' would be fine.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1280x1024

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Speakers.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? Bank transfer, credit card.

9. When are you purchasing? Next week, hopefully.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Wicklow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Thanks for your time ksimpson. Is there a copy of Windows included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

ksimpson wrote: »
    Get a 7850 instead of a 6950, much better card overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Merc beta if not filling the fan ports

Eboggles wrote: »

Does it not matter which 7850?

• Advertisement

Aenaes wrote: »

Does it not matter which 7850?
    All 7850s are better than 6950s. They're stronger, consume much less power and can be overclocked to 7950 levels.

All 7850s are better than 6950s. They're stronger, consume much less power and can be overclocked to 7950 levels.

Okay, I understood them being better. I'm just wondering will any 7850 be compatible?

Okay, I understood them being better. I'm just wondering will any 7850 be compatible?
    Yeah.

Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? :o

Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? :o

64-bit. It allows more than 3.25GB (or whatever it is) of RAM.

• Advertisement

I need help. I've built the PC now but there's nothing showing on the monitor. It just says "No signal detected". I don't understand why it's not working as it worked fine when I did the pre build outside the case. Any ideas?

Edit: I also tried the old monitor and same thing happens basically.

Take it back out of the case see if that helps - if so its a short some where.

Are the fans etc spinning? Have you tried shorting the power pins like you did with the external build?

Take it back out of the case see if that helps - if so its a short some where.

Are the fans etc spinning? Have you tried shorting the power pins like you did with the external build?

Was hoping there might be some suggestions before I have to take it apart. Fans are spinning, CD drive works, everything sounds good. Didn't short the pins, just turned it on with the power button.

Are you sure all the pegs in the case where in the right place? You know the ones the screws go into though the motherboard.

Are you sure all the pegs in the case where in the right place? You know the ones the screws go into though the motherboard.

Pretty sure yeah. My fear is of having fried the mobo but would it not be a but more serious than the monitor not getting a signal from the PC?

Sorry I've actually not started from the begining here - have you tried unplugging trhe GPU card and using the on board video?

Sorry I've actually not started from the begining here - have you tried unplugging trhe GPU card and using the on board video?

Ahem. Please don't shout at me but I had the SLI cable inserted, that seems to be the reason.

Ahem. Please don't shout at me but I had the SLI cable inserted, that seems to be the reason.

LOL - as long as its up and running. We all do silly things building machines.

I thought everything was plain sailing but my GPU isn't being detected.
    The system is running the on-board graphics. Also, the GPU install guide says it should have be powered with two PCI Express cables but I've only got one.

I thought everything was plain sailing but my GPU isn't being detected.
    The system is running the on-board graphics. Also, the GPU install guide says it should have be powered with two PCI Express cables but I've only got one.

Thats why its not being detected - did it not come with a molex to PCIe cable?

• Advertisement

Nope. The GPU fan is working though.

Ok, I've also got the monitor connected via VGA ports. I suppose I need a DVI-D cable to make it actually work properly, right?

As long as its plugged into the video card your grand. I think you need a trip to peats or Maplin for a molex to PCIe six pin - very surprised they weren't in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As long as its plugged into the video card your grand. I think you need a trip to peats or Maplin for a molex to PCIe six pin - very surprised they weren't in the box.

Yep, you can pick one up in Maplin for €8.29 I think it was, not a huge deal, even if Maplin do charge an extortionate price for the privilege.

Nice looking bench!