Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Possible Build. Comments and Thoughts Welcome.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

That case is nasty :D
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Midi/53129/Cooler+Master+690+II+Advanced+USB+3.0+-+pure+black,+ohne+Netzteil.article
    Cheaper and MUCH better. Rest of the build looks good, nice system. I'd get an after market CPU cooler as well, in case you decide to overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

RAM and PSU are overkill. 8 GB RAM and 450/550 watt PSU would suffice.

Case is very much to taste when you get into that money. Not into bling myself so would agree with the previous posters suggestion. Bitfenix also have good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GamingManiac

Thank you both for your comments.

I'm looking for a case that is flashy (has bling) just for the sake of it (I have an internship for the summer, so I plan on treating myself). Would this case be better suited?

I was actually looking at this as an after-market CPU cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Perhaps have a look at the CM Storm Trooper/Stryker for something flashy whilst remaining good quality and loads of features.

If you're gonna get a H80 get some better rad fans for it, I hear the fans that come with it are very loud and water cooling seems pointless if you're gonna have loud rad fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That build is frighteningly similar to a possible upgrade of my own rig. Mostly good choices.

I don't like the case, and for the money it's not great. Maybe have a look at the Define R3 from Fractal instead.
    850W is far too much for the PSU. Look at a 550W one at most.
    You might want to consider the GTX 670 instead. It gets within 95% (no, that's not a typo) of the 680's performance, while only costing about €350.
    I wouldn't bother with a Black drive. Pick up a standard 7200RPM one, and a 128GB SSD instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Reduce the RAM to 8GB - stay with the 1600Mhz RAM if you don't want to over clock. Reduce PSU Wattage

SSD - leave at 256GB imo - 128GB is not big enough if your a gamer (an by spec you are)

Agree on the 670 - unless you are playing at very high resolutions then go 7970.

3570K if you are going to use SLI otherwise a tray 2500K and cooler would be better value.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That build is frighteningly similar to a possible upgrade of my own rig. Mostly good choices.

I don't like the case, and for the money it's not great. Maybe have a look at the Define R3 from Fractal instead.
    850W is far too much for the PSU. Look at a 550W one at most.
    You might want to consider the GTX 670 instead. It gets within 95% (no, that's not a typo) of the 680's performance, while only costing about €350.
    I wouldn't bother with a Black drive. Pick up a standard 7200RPM one, and a 128GB SSD instead.

I dont like the R3, I want flashy and it looks to plain (imo), however I will keep an eye out for something with a fair amount of room + clear side panel.

The GTX 670 though does look promising.

I like the performance stats of the Black and its got a nice 5 year warranty.
    Reduce the RAM to 8GB - stay with the 1600Mhz RAM if you don't want to over clock. Reduce PSU Wattage

SSD - leave at 256GB imo - 128GB is not big enough if your a gamer (an by spec you are)

Agree on the 670 - unless you are playing at very high resolutions then go 7970.

3570K if you are going to use SLI otherwise a tray 2500K and cooler would be better value.

The SSD is staying alright, I need it for college programs + games and I want the 3570K because I may SLI down the line.

I dont like the R3, I want flashy and it looks to plain (imo), however I will keep an eye out for something with a fair amount of room + clear side panel.

The GTX 670 though does look promising.

I like the performance stats of the Black and its got a nice 5 year warranty.

The SSD is staying alright, I need it for college programs + games and I want the 3570K because I may SLI down the line.
    If you're going to SLi in future then leave the PSU, the HX850 is a very good power supply. +1 for the WD Black, excellent drive, +1 for the GTX670 as well, will piss all over a GTX680 if you SLi in the future, and will run everything current on high or ultra as a single card.

I decided to go for this case: NZXT Switch 810

I also up'd my Mobo to a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Now just have to wait to be paid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd nearly stick with the ASRock. Gigabyte have had a lot of problems with their Z68 boards, and by the sounds of it, their Z77 stuff isn't much of an improvement. ASRock on the other hand have had a spotless record by comparison.

• Advertisement

This case is also very good, NZXT dont have a reputation for good quality.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Tower/60292/BitFenix+Shinobi+XL+Big-Tower+++black+Window%2C+ohne+Netzteil.article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I'd nearly stick with the ASRock. Gigabyte have had a lot of problems with their Z68 boards, and by the sounds of it, their Z77 stuff isn't much of an improvement. ASRock on the other hand have had a spotless record by comparison.

Yeah I have the z77 extreme4, no complaints so far,very solid performer, really easy to OC and the bios is nice and easy to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think you recommended me an Asrock Extreme 3 gen 3 back in Feb when I was doing my build. I'm perfectly happy with it, it does everything I need it to do, apart from a pesky lack of native USB 3.0 support. However, I've never heard of any mobo manufacturer having a spotless record with their boards. Eventually, everyone will release a bad batch. I must say though that I am satisfied with mine and think that Asrock offer good value for money. Also, yeah, the BIOS is fairly nifty.

Advertisement