Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal life vs. boards

• 05-08-2012 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Does anyone ever wonder why some people feel like sharing so much personal information on boards? Some people just seem to use boards as their personal agony aunt and divulge so much fantastic information about their life that you just can't help wondering if they can actually be telling the truth. At least that's what it feels like to me sometimes. Does anyone else get that feeling sometimes and wonders what some people actually get out it to tell so much bull***t?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

A small bit skeptical, no?
    I generally assume posters here are sincere unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Does anyone ever wonder why some people feel like sharing so much personal information on boards? Some people just seem to use boards as their personal agony aunt and divulge so much fantastic information about their life that you just can't help wondering if they can actually be telling the truth. At least that's what it feels like to me sometimes. Does anyone else get that feeling sometimes and wonders what some people actually get out it to tell so much bull***t?

One particular poster mystifies me. He/she posts so much information and personal details that I wonder if he/she has boundary issues.

Not that I think half of what they post is actually true :).

Its the internet equivalent of asking your acquaintance you see once in five years how the family is, then having to sit through them actually telling you.:)

Some people just think they're more interesting than they actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im not sincere about anything i post on boards,

even this post! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Does anyone else get that feeling sometimes and wonders what some people actually get out it to tell so much bull***t?

Has anyone ever been so far as to etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

My reason is I am sad and lonely and the Samaritans have blocked my number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Shiite! I thought this was anonymous posting! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

If I say what I think in real life, I'll be banned from most forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There would be killing sprees in shops around Ireland if that thread did not exist.

It's therapy

Best thread on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't care who knows what about me.

I even add spam e-mailers to my circles on Google+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No-one here owns up to anything, because whatever they tell you about didn't happen to them, it happened to a "friend".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think you are a fool if you share too much about yourself online. Especially on a forum such as boards.

Some people tell everything on here. Over the course of their posting history you could learn their first name, where they work, some even post their picture in the "know your fellow posters..." threads, previous relationships, previous jobs, they use dating sites yadda yadda yadda ... i could go on.

Now you might think thats nothing, right? But all it takes is just some dickhead to use all that against you.
    Sure if you get someones facebook you have their full name and pictures. Up you go on some gay site "wanting no strings fun"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I suffer from constipation and feminine itching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

There are some personal things I post about on Boards that I don't talk much about in real life! I don't stay anonymous here so if someone knows me and reads this stuff, it doesn't bother me.

Some things are just hard to talk about with people you know.

I am always wary that its a public forum so choose what to share and what not, knowing who can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

<snip>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod:
    You want to make a personal comment about another boardsie then feel free to report the post also so it will make it easier for me to ban you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I think you are a fool if you share too much about yourself online. Especially on a forum such as boards.

Some people tell everything on here. Over the course of their posting history you could learn their first name, where they work, some even post their picture in the "know your fellow posters..." threads, previous relationships, previous jobs, they use dating sites yadda yadda yadda ... i could go on.

Now you might think thats nothing, right? But all it takes is just some dickhead to use all that against you.
    Sure if you get someones facebook you have their full name and pictures. Up you go on some gay site "wanting no strings fun"

And no way to ever delete it. Even facebook lets you take your info down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've put my pic up on boards before, Dean is my real name, I've posted in the motors forum and people there know I'm a mechanic and some even know what garage I work in. I've met other posters from boards before and I've posted info about myself.
    But I have nothing to hide so I don't see what the problem is. It's not like I'm putting up my address, phone number and bank details or anything. And I'm not a super-secret CIA spy or anything. (or am I?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I didn't realise people have other lives, than boards..:confused:
    Personal? Everything i exist for is on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Teddy is like marmite on boards it seems.
    Where as in real life I'm more like mint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Eathrin wrote: »
    A small bit skeptical, no?
    I generally assume posters here are sincere unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

Yeah I tend to go with this myself; at the end of the day someone can be telling all sorts of tales; but it has no effect on my life if it is not the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Mod:
    You want to make a personal comment about another boardsie then feel free to report the post also so it will make it easier for me to ban you.

So if you have a problem with a poster and report it you will be banned yourself? :confused:

Giselle wrote: »

Some people just think they're more interesting than they actually are.

To be fair I would say that most people suffer from that, it's part of the human condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

thiş place is where people come to mess around for an hour or two,say stupid things and have a laugh and joke.

Some people take it way to seriously,its like a second home to them.

live.laugh.love.

i will freely offer my phone number,email,home address and sexual preference if anyone wants it.pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Odysseus wrote: »
    To be fair I would say that most people suffer from that, it's part of the human condition.

Hence the proliferation of blogs. :)

So if you have a problem with a poster and report it you will be banned yourself? :confused:

No I was suggesting if you want to slag somebody off then report your own post to increase efficiency.

<goodguy troll.jpg>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

No I was suggesting if you want to slag somebody off then report your own post to increase efficiency.

<goodguy troll.jpg>

I didn't slag anybody off but asked a general question. Sorry to disappoint you but good luck.

Giselle wrote: »
    Hence the proliferation of blogs. :)

An interesting point, I don't follow any blogs thank god.

I didn't slag anybody off but asked a general question. Sorry to disappoint you but good luck.

Look at the post immediately above dr.b's warning. It wasn't you being infracted.

Yeah I know. Don't worry about it. Somebody else did / has been dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Teddy is like marmite on boards it seems.
    Where as in real life I'm more like mint.

I fúcking hate choc mint :mad:

I think you're just being nasty tbh.

That was not my intention. If you feel offended. I am sorry :)

I did that test to prove that the internet and your information should remain exactly that. yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'll say anything on boards except for my full name for some reason :L dont really know why :L anything else I'll say and it doesnt bother me. I dont say that much cause I know im not that interesting :L some things id only say in pm and not on the public forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Be pretty easy to find who I am,Wouldent and doesn't bother me personally but can understand that it might not be good for some people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am a cloak of anonymity :D

I'll say anything on boards except for my full name for some reason :L dont really know why :L anything else I'll say and it doesnt bother me. I dont say that much cause I know im not that interesting :L some things id only say in pm and not on the public forums.

Ok :L That's nice to know :L I look forward to finding out more about you :L

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Presuming nobody gives that much of a crap about me to track me down and stalk me or steal my ID or whatever, so I don't care. Plus I know feck all people anyway.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Presuming nobody gives that much of a crap about me to track me down and stalk me or steal my ID or whatever, so I don't care. Plus I know feck all people anyway.

I have done some serious detective work on you young lady and I know you are located in Spain.....that's the hard bit done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

kfallon wrote: »
    I have done some serious detective work on you young lady and I know you are located in Spain.....that's the hard bit done :p

:eek: How in the love of baby jaysus did you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Only a guess but maybe from your IP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am a cloak of anonymity :D

That's a horses hoof ;)

• Advertisement

One of the world's greatest detectives does not reveal his methods ;)

:p

realies wrote: »
    That's a horses hoof ;)

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

That was not my intention. If you feel offended. I am sorry :)

I did that test to prove that the internet and your information should remain exactly that. yours.

Fair enough, I accept you were only trying to prove a point - which you did well. But I choose where I post, and I choose what I post, and it's not your right to take that choice away from me, even to prove a point ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I think boards is a great place to get an unbiased opinion on anything. you can say what you need to say and get blunt straight talking advice. If you were to discuss some of the issues on here with your nearest and dearest they may only tell you what you want to hear, and most of the time that doesn't do you any favours.
    Isn't that what public forums are all about?... what you choose to divuldge is up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    I suffer from constipation and feminine itching.

He does. Let's say it's medically...interesting. I am not giving anything away as Nodin's case history will be published in a medical journal soon enough.

Fair enough, I accept you were only trying to prove a point - which you did well. But I choose where I post, and I choose what I post, and it's not your right to take that choice away from me, even to prove a point ;)

Agree :)
    However once again, I do apologize :)

But the real scary thing is how this infomation is just floating out there. So easy to get. Its freaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He's outside your Gaf right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think if you are telling the truth about yourself and treat boards as though you're talking to someone face to face then you'll be fine. Don't act up online in a way that you wouldn't in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I fúcking hate choc mint :mad:
    Choc mint, get out of here. I said mint!

Dean09 wrote: »
    He's outside your Gaf right now.

I am not :mad:

Just coming round the corner now :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement