Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House plan drawings

Options
  • 05-08-2012 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I am about to build a storey and a half house, approx 2000sq ft, and an easy/cheap build . . . . Ie . Square in shape, and simple "A" shaped roof.

Can anyone tell me a good place to get the autocad drawings for the house, at a good price?

Thanks ,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Plan a Home.ie - have loads of existing drawings- cheaper than starting from scratch. Not sure if they do technical building drawings though.

You might need to get a cad technician- of which a good few hang out on this site and will likely IM you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jocotty,
    It would help you said what part of the country your in. generally a local architect/arch tech is who you want

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

I am about to build a storey and a half house, approx 2000sq ft, and an easy/cheap build . . . . Ie . Square in shape, and simple "A" shaped roof.

Can anyone tell me a good place to get the autocad drawings for the house, at a good price?

Thanks ,

Jo
    Do you have planning permission?
    Who did your plans for the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you have planning permission?
    Who did your plans for the application.

i dont have planning permission yet - but its a site that i am looking to buy, in a zoned settlement region. so planning should not be too much of a problem.
    i am about to get a guy to do up the site maps, etc, but plan on getting the house drawings from the internet , as they will be cheaper...no??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

...no??? :confused:
    Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont have planning permission yet - but its a site that i am looking to buy, in a zoned settlement region. so planning should not be too much of a problem.
    i am about to get a guy to do up the site maps, etc, but plan on getting the house drawings from the internet , as they will be cheaper...no??? :confused:

do you not want the single most expensive item you will ever pay for to be specifically designed to suit you, your (future?) family, and the site requirements?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    do you not want the single most expensive item you will ever pay for to be specifically designed to suit you, your (future?) family, and the site requirements?

Its down to your preference- most people live in a house they had zero input to the design of. If you want to build it as cheap as possible, I would as you said keep it v simple, limit the number of rooms and keep it as a rectangle. Make sure you talk to the local planning office to see what stipulations they have, in some areas certain features are not liked, equally they might want a stone cladding which will be more expensive on some designs versus others.

My advise is to review online plans like plan a home, and draw it up yourself using pen or paper, or basic drawing package, and then get a tech drawer to convert to auto cad- agree a rate per hour and sit with him/ her while they are do the drawings.

edit: this poster clarifies below that they do not condone copyright infringement, which could be construed from above. Boards.ie do not condone copyright infringement in any way.

sydthebeat

Casati wrote: »
    Its down to your preference- most people live in a house they had zero input to the design of. If you want to build it as cheap as possible, I would as you said keep it v simple, limit the number of rooms and keep it as a rectangle. Make sure you talk to the local planning office to see what stipulations they have, in some areas certain features are not liked, equally they might want a stone cladding which will be more expensive on some designs versus others.

My advise is to review online plans like plan a home, and draw it up yourself using pen or paper, or basic drawing package, and then get a tech drawer to convert to auto cad- agree a rate per hour and sit with him/ her while they are do the drawings.

the part in bold is exactly the wrong type of information that leads to bad houses.
    These are not units to build and leave... they are homes for families to live in and as such should be treated with the respect they deserve.

The OP should go to his designer and tell him/her what the proposed budget is and let them then design a home that suits all his requirements to that budget.

The days of looking at a budget and saying "how big can i go for that" are, thankfully, dead with the celtic tiger excess.

as designer we now look seriously at running costs of the house, maintenance costs, extendability etc. The current building regulations are so onerous as the idea of building "as big as i can" is simply an uneconomical use of money.

and the last paragraph which you posted can be construed as condoning copyright theft... please clarify that point ASAP or i will have to edit it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Its down to your preference- most people live in a house they had zero input to the design of.

I think most people in this situation find they would like to alter and/or extend their homes. If you have the chance to literally tailor the building why pass it up.
    Plenty of time for regrets later.

But yes you will "buy house plans" quite cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well in that case you aren't about to start building, you are about to start planning.
    Saving some money on the plans is a really bad idea and it will be reflected in the design, which will ultimately affected the value of the house.
    then get a tech drawer to convert to auto cad- agree a rate per hour and sit with him/ her while they are do the drawings.
    Why would he have to sit with him?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the part in bold is exactly the wrong type of information that leads to bad houses.
    These are not units to build and leave... they are homes for families to live in and as such should be treated with the respect they deserve.

The OP should go to his designer and tell him/her what the proposed budget is and let them then design a home that suits all his requirements to that budget.

The days of looking at a budget and saying "how big can i go for that" are, thankfully, dead with the celtic tiger excess.

as designer we now look seriously at running costs of the house, maintenance costs, extendability etc. The current building regulations are so onerous as the idea of building "as big as i can" is simply an uneconomical use of money.

and the last paragraph which you posted can be construed as condoning copyright theft... please clarify that point ASAP or i will have to edit it out.

Firstly, I would not condone copyright infringement, I simply meant one should look at other drawings for inspiration, and then go and draw your own based on what you want.

Feel free to delete my post if you wish, I was only trying to put across a point of view, where as you are trying to impose your thoughts as if they are facts.

Post Celtic Tiger, the facts are that most people are trying to limit costs in all areas

im disagreeing with your viewpoint by offering an alternative...

theres a difference between gaining 'inspiration' from a plan and
    review online plans like plan a home, and draw it up yourself
    which is actually breach of copyright, but as youve said you dont condone it, ill add that note.

and in the days of post celtic tiger people are looking at the bigger picture... did you ever hear the saying "penny wise, pound foolish"?

building a shoe box might be cheaper but that certainly does not means its better, or best use of "bang for buck".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Firstly, I would not condone copyright infringement, I simply meant one should look at other drawings for inspiration, and then go and draw your own based on what you want.

Feel free to delete my post if you wish, I was only trying to put across a point of view, where as you are trying to impose your thoughts as if they are facts.

Post Celtic Tiger, the facts are that most people are trying to limit costs in all areas

You may have been putting your point of view across but it was rightly challenged by people with more experience in this area than you obviously have. Thats what the forum is for.

Your contention that the OP should sit with an Architectural Technician as they draw up the plans suggests that you have no idea of the time that it takes to prepare plans to a reasonable standard.

Your contention that it is more cost effective to get plans off the internet and use them shows that you have no knowledge of how a dwelling evolves from a design process involving things like site location, boundaries, views, direction of sunlight, development guidelines, energy requirements, local needs requirements, etc.

Your contention that a house that ignores the above will limit costs is wrong- it will cost alot more in the long run and possibly even the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

It's generally best and most cost effective to get a house designed which takes into account the site features. It might initially cost a few bob more but over the course of the lifetime of the house you should reap the rewards and will being long term value, be it energy saving, making the best of solar gain/site orientation, capturing the views or even the positioning of the house on the site, something a 'generic' set of plans seldom achieve.

Also by engaging (through meetings) with an experienced design professional you will get guidance and ideas on what will work for you in terms of layout etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have frequently come accross clients who want plan no x from certain books etc, but when I sit them down and talk to them what actually happens is they like this bit and that bit but havnt a clue about the rest so designing a house from scratch while incorporating a few features from the plans or elevations they like actually gives them the house they really want but cannot express.

A lot of the designs in pattern plan books and on the internet are now unsuitable for a lot of locations where they have housing design guides and to achieve compliance with the building regs without serious redesign anyways so be very careful using them.

Your contention that the OP should sit with an Architectural Technician as they draw up the plans suggests that you have no idea of the time that it takes to prepare plans to a reasonable standard.....

Your contention that it is more cost effective to get plans off the internet and use them shows that you have no knowledge of how a dwelling evolves from a design process involving things like site location, boundaries, ...

Your contention that a house that ignores the above will limit costs is wrong.

So , where do i start so....im not a architect, i dont have any house drawings and am living in the real world, trying to build a house in a recession. obviously cost is an issue. just want cheap drawings, which i can look at , and change myself to what i like. we cant all afford the luxury to "sit with an Architectural Technician "....

Cost is always an issue. In recession , money is tight and in boom you fear being ripped off. Both valid and sensible reactions.

You will hopefully live in this house long beyond this recession and you will pay for it for most of your working life ( assumption ) . Many have tried to open your mind to the folly of undertaking this with "cheap drawings" . Look around the site a bit deeper you will see this advice is very "real world"

However Someone did post a site reference at post no 2.

So , where do i start so....im not a architect, i dont have any house drawings and am living in the real world, trying to build a house in a recession. obviously cost is an issue. just want cheap drawings, which i can look at , and change myself to what i like. we cant all afford the luxury to "sit with an Architectural Technician "....
    1. establish your budget for the build, if you haven't already done so
    2. arrange to meet 3 or so design professionals (architect/arch tech etc)at the site
    3. give them an outline of what you would like included in the house (number of bedrooms etc) (referred to as the design brief) and discuss it with them, you will get some ideas of what will/won't work on the site from that discussion. Ask questions.
    4. seek referrals and let them come back with a price and list of services they are going to provide for their fee
    5. appoint one and let them develop a sketch design for review
    6. progress it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Have you actually got a quote from an AT/Arch as of yet for the actual deisgn service or is Billy down the pub dispensing "knowledge" again? I'm a bit confused reading here.
    If you get a generic design, build as cheap as possible and when your circumstances possibly change in due course and you need to move on, don't be surprised if your house does not pay for itself on any future sale due to lack of thought. Generic houses are just that and do not compliment the site and natural features.
    You will need someone who knows what they are doing either way to submit the package and reply to probable RFI's so why not engage for the full service? The overall cost would most probably cover itself during the build as potential issues would be seen now and fixed as opposed to paying twice and more on trades to remedy on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Post 19 gives how you could start the process.

I would suggest you consider some of the things you need from a house. Personal traits will determine alot of a layout. With cost being an important consideration you may want to place more importance on say a main bedroom and a kitchen/ living room. You don't sit with a technician, that was a comment that the person didnt know the reality of the design process> thats what you are deciding about by the way. If you take a plan from a book you will be eliminating the design process from you house. The design process is essentially what makes the house suitable for you to live in. It need not cost a prohibitive sum to you either. You can talk to people to get estimate of costs before you agree with paying over anything. I think from your comments you will want a service to planning permission as this is cheaper than a full architectural service (a full service might include technical detail drawings of construction). In the whole context of the financial outlay of a house the design cost is likely to cost in or around 2% of the total cost. This will of course vary depending on where you are based and is a very rough figure given in case you have no idea of planning costs. Hope that is helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Hi jocotty, I sense you are starting to get frustrated with the comments here... and I completely understand where you are coming from. You need to remember when you come on boards.ie there are plenty of professionals that will advise you....

However I am going to go against the grain here and provide you with our experience, and believe me, we are learning on the job, and we are saving lots!
    We did go to an architech to get our plans drawn up, however I feel it is only fair to tell you that he litterally took some plans he had drawn up for someone else previously and switched it to catputre south facing etc. he handed them to us and luckily i liked them and we paid him €1200 for teh privileage! So yes by all means it is feasable to get plans online and either way you have to get an engineer to sign off on each stage payment, so get a good engineer who can advise you. We havent seen our architech since we got our planning. We are 1/4 of the way through our direct labour build and I reckon were doing just fine.
    I have come on to boards.ie to search for advice and i end up feeling like an idiot for not doing this that and the other but at the end of the day we have yet to hit any major dilemas and if we do we will deal with them.
    Had i known that i could of bought plans online and saved myself €1200 i would of done it!!!

So heres my amateur advice "go for it! " No matter what route you take you will make mistakes and have regrets. Don't be intimidated into one option of contacting a pro all the time.

Best of luck!!!

.... and you would buy a house that you built ?

Hi jocotty, I sense you are starting to get frustrated with the comments here... and I completely understand where you are coming from. You need to remember when you come on boards.ie there are plenty of professionals that will advise you....

The same professionals whom you have sought and accepted advice from
    either way you have to get an engineer to sign off on each stage payment
    Not technically correct there are a number of different professional types whom can sign off on stage payments. One of the key requirements for certification of works is the certifier needs to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance.
    We havent seen our architech since we got our planning.
    You might clarify if that is that because they haven't bothered to come near you or because you haven't engaged him/her to provide services post planning stage.

We are 1/4 of the way through our direct labour build and I reckon were doing just fine.
    Maybe you are doing fine in your opinion, however there are many people whom built houses and they too thought they were doing just fine until problems were discovered went it was too late. Engaging the services of an engineer of other to visit the site at the time of certification for the bank won't pick up on everything.
    Had i known that i could of bought plans online and saved myself €1200 i would of done it!!!

And the price for plans bought on line are? Not withstanding buying the plans on line you still need someone to prepare a site layout plan, os maps etc and prepare and complete the application documentation, so I don't think you would have saved much if anything. From your account of your experience with your "architect" all you did was buy a set of plans and the associated services and not a purpose designed house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can we have someone comment who in the last 3 years HAS ACTUALLY bought internet plans and gotten PLANNING approved for 1200 or less THANKS

[QUOTEHowever I am going to go against the grain here and provide you with our experience, and believe me, we are learning on the job, and we are saving lots!
    We QUOTE]

thaks for that "new build in sight"....fair play to you for the encouragement

archtech wrote: »

...And to which I am very grateful for. I didnt realise everyone on boards.ie are professionals, I know I certainly never claim to be even in my "profession". I thought boards.ie is a sounding board for opinions.

Not technically correct there are a number of different professional types whom can sign off on stage payments. One of the key requirements for certification of works is the certifier needs to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance.

...our bank insisted on a certified engineer, I am not disagreeing with you, I am simply sharing our experience.

You might clarify if that is that because they haven't bothered to come near you or because you haven't engaged him/her to provide services post planning stage.

...Why you need this clarified is beyond me, but here goes... we offered him the opportunity to quote for the project manage the build and he came back with a quote that was way out of our budget. And yes we received several quotes from others too which were also outside our budget. Hence we are doing direct.

Maybe you are doing fine in your opinion, however there are many people whom built houses and they too thought they were doing just fine until problems were discovered went it was too late. Engaging the services of an engineer of other to visit the site at the time of certification for the bank won't pick up on everything.

.... And many people had reputable builders build houses and have serious issues too. I am not sure what exactly you are implying here. We may be doing direct labour but that certainly doesnt mean were idiots. We've done our research.

And the price for plans bought on line are? Not withstanding buying the plans on line you still need someone to prepare a site layout plan, os maps etc and prepare and complete the application documentation, so I don't think you would have saved much if anything. From your account of your experience with your "architect" all you did was buy a set of plans and the associated services and not a purpose designed house.

.... you can easily ifnd out how much to buy plans online are, just by a quick google search. My first search tells me €500 approx for very decent set of plans in my opinion.

And just to finish my response. I wanted to offer my personal opinion/experience to the OP.

archtech wrote: »

[QUOTEHowever I am going to go against the grain here and provide you with our experience, and believe me, we are learning on the job, and we are saving lots!
    We QUOTE]

thaks for that "new build in sight"....fair play to you for the encouragement

I wish you all the best, it's hard work but so worth it when you see it coming together. Do keep us posted on how you get on and which route you end up following..... :)

BryanF wrote: »
    Can we have someone comment who in the last 3 years HAS ACTUALLY bought internet plans and gotten PLANNING approved for 1200 or less THANKS

Technically I could almost say we did, since we did simply buy a set of pre approved plans from our architech. These plans were approved by someone else in another county, so he made a few changes so they were not exact and this is what we sent in to our planners. The plans themselves were never questioned, we were refused on other reasons which we eventually overcame.

it's hard work but so worth it when you see it coming together.

Nobody here has ever said its easy however there are times when some of the hard work could have been avoided having sought and taken the advice of experience beforehand. A definition of Experience is learning from prior mistakes

.Had i known that i could of bought plans online and saved myself €1200 i would of done it!!!
    .... you can easily ifnd out how much to buy plans online are, just by a quick google search. My first search tells me €500 approx for very decent set of plans in my opinion.

You might clarify how buying your plans on line would have saved yourself €1200 , if you only spend €1200, as you have stated in response to BryanF's question. You found that you can buy a set of plans for approximately €500, fair enough but did that include the relevant marked OS Map Extracts, and surveyed Site Plan for inclusion as part of the planning application. Then there's a site suitability test for most rural applications also.
    I wanted to offer my personal opinion/experience to the OP.

And what opinion/experience did you want to offer the OP, other than not to listen to the advice of the professional posted here.

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    .... and you would buy a house that you built ?

What do you mean? Is this question directed at me? If so then of course I would.

Advertisement