Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing a new puppy to my cat!

• 05-08-2012 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi guys! Would really appreciate if anyone has any tips as of how to introduce a new puppy to my 3 year old cat. My brother has recently brought a new labrador puppy into the house ( she is a girl) and we have yet to introduce her to my 3 year old tomcat! Sprinkles is a bit out of sorts at the minute as his paw is in a cast and although i would love to wait until he out of the cast and feeling better i don't want the pup to be too big by the time they are introduced (she is 2 months now). We have been introducing smells to each other by letting sprinkles smell Sashas toys and vice versa, but they can also smell each other off of us i am sure. Anybody got any tips to help with this meeting.Thanks!

This is sasha and sprinkles.

sasha.jpg

Sprinkles.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Cats and dogs will always be .... Cats and dogs!

Just give them time, and be prepared to wait.

When we introduced our Boxer pup to our two cats a few years ago, after the initial shock, the cats ended up living upstairs, the dog downstairs.

Three years later they can be in the same room together but will never be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Our cat was almost three when we introduced our puppy. We kept them apart mainly for a few weeks and gradually let them spend more time together in the same room. I was terrified our cat would run away! but I had nothing to worry about. Puppy adores the cat. I think she thinks he's a dog and wants to play chasing with him. The cat just gets up and saunters off when puppy is being hyper. Otherwise when puppy is calm, he'll walk up to her and do pussycat rubs. Very cute to watch. I think once you take it slowly all will work out in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i introduced 3 pups to my cat whom was 15 at the time, 3 years later now. They get along good, they'll sit on the same couch together, within a foot of each other, they even on a rare occasion eat from the same bowl.

When i first introduced them, the cat gave them a soft belt on the face when they approached, but she never opened her nails, can't figure why. They never went near her again after that, but in time they gradually move closer.

As with new pups we all have the tendency to pet them overly. Don't do this in front of the cat, Cats can get very jealous, as the cat sees it, its her territory and others are moving in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Cats and dogs will always be .... Cats and dogs!

Just give them time, and be prepared to wait.

When we introduced our Boxer pup to our two cats a few years ago, after the initial shock, the cats ended up living upstairs, the dog downstairs.

Three years later they can be in the same room together but will never be friends.

Boxers..priceless. Our 2 year old cat met our boxer pup when he was about 3 months. 4 years of pup trying to play with very reluctant swiping and spitting cat. Amazing the dog can still see. Now they tolerate each other. Mainly cat tolerates dog. Dog does not care..Cat often steals the dogs bed but he concedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

When we introduced our 3 month old pup (so he was big enough!) to my spoilt 10 yr old tomcat I held the cat with his paws in and my brother held the dog and we stood them face to face for as long as we could!

The cat was a bit off with us, especially with my mother as he must have thought she brought him home, but I made sure to pay loads of attention to the cat so he wouldn't feel left out.

The cat was the boss in the house but the dog would chase him once outside the house. the cat tolerated the dog and I think was even amused by him but they were never friends.
    My cat has since passed away and I think the dog misses him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

jsd1004 wrote: »
    .Cat often steals the dogs bed but he concedes.

That's funny. :)

Reminds me of this pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

In my experience, what has worked is the following...

Walk or tire out the puppy, then bring him in to the room with the kitty, on leash. Make sure that the kitty has an escape route or somewhere up high to get away from the pup. Allow them to become used to one another gradually...the one thing to be careful of is your cat clawing your puppy..many pups/dogs have lost eyes due to kitty claws!

Make sure your pup knows its boundaries - basic commands such as sit/stay/leave will help in training the pup. The cat will let the puppy know if its getting too close too! The most important thing is that they both have a positive first encounter...the cat doesn't get scared and the puppy doesn't get scratched! Lots of praise for the pup for being gentle with the cat and ensure the cat has somewhere it can go for peace and quiet!

Advertisement