Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabouts: Why 'dafaq' can't you use them?

• 05-08-2012 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

What is it that Irish drivers find so difficult? If your going left straight (anywhere between 6 and 12 o clock) then you use the left lane if not then you use the right lane.

What is so difficult? I'm sick of people just driving through the easiest way possible even if that means going in and out of different lanes.

You can usually spot people who are so retarded(hope your not offended) that they can't use them, but unfortunately nit always.

I just drove onto a roundabout side by side with another person. I was In the left lane he was in the right. I was going straight and apparently so was he. Both came off at the same time and I had to jam on and head the neck to beep at me! The asshole behind me beeps too because I stopped, well he got a good view of my middle finger.

But seriously why can't people use them. It's quite simple.

I blame the government (always blame the government) you should have to rest your test every few years :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Did ya talk to Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DylanII wrote: »
    You can usually spot people who are so retarded(hope your not offended)

No it's fine. :)

Wait a minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

benwavner wrote: »
    Did ya talk to Joe?

No, he's not available on Sundays :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I bet the road markings said different and you were in the wrong, you don't always keep left for the second exit

phasers wrote: »
    I bet the road markings said different and you were in the wrong, you don't always keep left for the second exit

No the road marking were just fine. I drive through this roundabout everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

That you Mr Griswold?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

What is it that Irish drivers find so difficult? If your going left straight (anywhere between 6 and 12 o clock) then you use the left lane if not then you use the right lane.

Not always, you use the right lane to go straight on a roundabout which has only 3 exits if you're coming from the side which has the "non-exit" on your right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No the road marking were just fine. I drive through this roundabout everyday.

You're supposed to drive around it, not through it. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭matchthis

There was even an ad campaign on tv about how to use a roundabout. I just go a bit slower on roundabouts now than normal. Half of drivers don't know how to use them and most of the rest don't bother indicating. My driving instructor brought me through walkinstown roundabout in Dublin on every lesson. One of the most important things to do properly on the road IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I've been beeped at a few times for not indicating right when taking the second exit.
    One guy even rang the workplace (number was on the van) to let them know my indicator must be broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Irish people don't know how to use roundabouts or how to drive on a dual carriageway/motorway.

Check out the N7 going to and from Naas. Invariably the left most lane will be pretty empty with the middle lane full. Retarded...

Aenaes wrote: »
    I've been beeped at a few times for not indicating right when taking the second exit.
    One guy even rang the workplace (number was on the van) to let them know my indicator must be broken.

My mother does this, indicates right for the second exit and then left when turning off. No matter how much I say it to her she continues doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My only problem with them is that some of them attract a derby type crowd. I drive a small car and you get fruit loops flying about them just looking for a smash.
    I think roundabouts are a poor system to have to use for anyone not familiar with an area. It's very easy to be in a wrong lane when you're trying to find your way. Again I don't think that would be a huge problem if it wasn't for some other motorists attitudes, beeping and revving about the place like they own the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is this a roundabout way of saying that some drivers are sh1t?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

How come every driver thinks they are the only one who knows how to drive properly.

I am a terrible driver except when I am drunk because then I drive extra careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The best I've ever seen is an aul one drive straight through a roundabout. As in she mounted the centre and drove right through it.

She probably thought she was still sitting at home in her armchair & was wondering why this episode of emmerdale was so strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Post made me laugh. Dead right though some proper gob****es on Irish roads. Serious lack of using an indicator too. My poor mother nearly has a heart attack at roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

almost nobody indicates at a roundabout. so you have to judge what they are planing to do from the position of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Colmustard wrote: »
    How come every driver thinks they are the only one who knows how to drive properly.

I am a terrible driver except when I am drunk because then I drive extra careful.

ANYONE going slower than you is taking the piss and anyone going faster than you is a nut bag. That's science.
    Don't drink and drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You can usually spot people who are so retarded

Irony, sometimes it just jumps out at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I struggle to understand how people cannot use roundabouts properly. I mean, it's not that difficult.

And please, USE YOUR INDICATORS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Any Irish drivers attempted the Magic Roundabout in Swindon? And survived, I mean?

Some visitors from Finland managed it ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Irony, sometimes it just jumps out at you.

I fail to see the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I the problem is simple. People, in general, are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Shryke wrote: »
    ANYONE going slower than you is taking the piss and anyone going faster than you is a nut bag. That's science.
    Don't drink and drive!

LOL so true.

I don't I was only taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Why does driving make people so angry (and I include myself). I got held up for about 30 seconds this morning by someone dawdling at a roundabout and I was furious. I was only going to get milk and a newspaper, there was not an imminent expectant mother in the car or anything. I felt silly about it 60 seconds later too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Basic rule: Use the lane you would use if there wasn't a big circle in the middle. Same as any other junction.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I live in Galway (this here be roundabout country) and although most drivers here seemed to have gotten their driving licenses free in a box of cornflakes, the correct lane is not necessarily always clear.

This thread indicates that even the RSA only have a general recommendation but it's not a hard and fast rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Few things in driving frustrate me more than waiting for a gap to move off at a busy roundabout and a driver exits without indicating, it happens far too often.

The worst I have seen though was when I was behind a lorry intending to take the third exit on a roundabout but, spotting a gap in traffic, he goes the wrong way around to save himself the effort of maneuvering it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What is so difficult? I'm sick of people just driving through the easiest way possible even if that means going in and out of different lanes.

You can usually spot people who are so retarded(hope your not offended) that they can't use them, but unfortunately nit always.

I just drove onto a roundabout side by side with another person. I was In the left lane he was in the right. I was going straight and apparently so was he. Both came off at the same time and I had to jam on and head the neck to beep at me! The asshole behind me beeps too because I stopped, well he got a good view of my middle finger.

But seriously why can't people use them. It's quite simple.

I blame the government (always blame the government) you should have to rest your test every few years :)

Now, to add to your post: Try being a cyclist entering roundabouts where drivers don't know which lane to be on and switch over without indicating.

Imagine the excitement I have at times at roundabouts on my bike! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's only 3 rules you really need to know when driving.

1. Green means 'go'
    2. Amber means 'go faster' and:
    3. Red means 'first ten cars only'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

bnt wrote: »
    Any Irish drivers attempted the Magic Roundabout in Swindon? And survived, I mean?

Some visitors from Finland managed it ...

There's one in Colchester as well, never driven it myself but my sister has to drive it a couple of times a day. She said when she was learning to drive in the late 90's she never thought she'd get the hang of it but you get used to it quickly enough. I hope they are never introduced here, if people cannot even negotiate a simple roundabout this would cause massive tailbacks lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement