Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to dev an app..

Options
  • 05-08-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have an idea for an app that it calculator based, trouble is I have no experience what so ever!
    I have looked at a few of the app building sites but none can do a calculator.
    Any one know where to go?

Or even better, any one want to develop it for me and share in the millions made:D???

I have some sketches done of how it should look and what it should do.

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

What are you developing your app for?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

dedicated app for carpenters, will calculate area volume, price etc.
    there are a few similar out there but none will do all functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That's actually a really good idea for an iPhone app, best of luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Not a bad idea. Which os do you plan to target?

Sorry iphone heads, Android initially!!
    Tho I guess someone would be able to make an i one?

Any of you want to help me with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Don't give away your idea!

I wouldnt expect to make a killing on it, a few quid would be nice but.

If anyone could build it, I could promote it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ideas are cheap, programmers are expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

You don't have to be a programmer to develop an app. There are easy toolkits online like Andromo where you can build them easy enough. To begin with, simplify your vision and see if you can use the tools available to start your App off. If not, create a more basic version of it using whatever is at your disposal. As you develop more Apps, the interface of the site you use will become easier to negotiate and you'll be able to develop more advanced versions of them.

I'd offer to help but I'm developing two of my own at the moment. Getting the resources I need has been the hardest part yet!

I have looked at a few of the app building sites but none can do a calculator.

Also andromo is $25 per month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Am I right in saying you expect somebody to take your sketches and idea to a fully fledged working app for free?

Nope!

The idea would be to run it by someone who knows more than me to see if its a good idea and then to come to some arrangement.

If its not going to be that sell-able, then maybe someone would like to do it for the experience or to gain a following by putting it up for free.

I would think its a pretty simple app to build for the right person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hi all, I have an idea for an app that it calculator based, trouble is I have no experience what so ever!
    I would think its a pretty simple app to build for the right person.
    So you have no experience, but you are able nonetheless to estimate how much work it would entail? I suggest you leave that to someone who knows to how and what to estimate.
    The idea would be to run it by someone who knows more than me to see if its a good idea and then to come to some arrangement.

If its not going to be that sell-able, then maybe someone would like to do it for the experience or to gain a following by putting it up for free.
    Unless your app is a runaway hit (which is very unlikely), it won't make that much money and even if it did, I can't see any developer (with an IQ over room temperature) agreeing to even a 50-50 deal with someone who has brought nothing to the table except an 'idea', which by your own admission is not even that original.

To me, someone who has only an 'idea' and wants you to 'earn' sweat equity on it, is someone who wants commitment from others that he or she has not put in themselves - if they did, they'd have more than just an 'idea'.

As to the 'portfolio' argument, entry into the app market is easy and a developer can easily develop a portfolio on their own - you don't even bring a company to reference, which might at least have been of some use to their CV.

Realistically, unless some idiot is willing to help you out, I suggest one of the following, should you wish to bring your idea to fruition:
    • Learn to develop and market (oft forgotten essential skill) an app yourself.
    • Do some proper market research and/or raise capital, so that you have more to bring to the table than an 'idea', and then come back to look for a developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

srsly78 wrote: »
    Ideas are cheap, programmers are expensive.

The idea is all he has. Give that away and he's left with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So you have no experience, but you are able nonetheless to estimate how much work it would entail? I suggest you leave that to someone who knows to how and what to estimate.

Unless your app is a runaway hit (which is very unlikely), it won't make that much money and even if it did, I can't see any developer (with an IQ over room temperature) agreeing to even a 50-50 deal with someone who has brought nothing to the table except an 'idea', which by your own admission is not even that original.

To me, someone who has only an 'idea' and wants you to 'earn' sweat equity on it, is someone who wants commitment from others that he or she has not put in themselves - if they did, they'd have more than just an 'idea'.

As to the 'portfolio' argument, entry into the app market is easy and a developer can easily develop a portfolio on their own - you don't even bring a company to reference, which might at least have been of some use to their CV.

Realistically, unless some idiot is willing to help you out, I suggest one of the following, should you wish to bring your idea to fruition:
    • Learn to develop and market (oft forgotten essential skill) an app yourself.
    • Do some proper market research and/or raise capital, so that you have more to bring to the table than an 'idea', and then come back to look for a developer.

Rather harsh comment for somebody who wants to try something,apps are the way forward today and quite lucrative.
    I used to develop apps for symbian platform and if i was still doing it today id glady help him out

I may yet even venture into the android and IOS,At the moment im too busy with current work im doing.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Rather harsh comment for somebody who wants to try something,apps are the way forward today and quite lucrative.
    Firstly, do you know what the average revenues for either iOS/Android indie apps are, before you make any claim as to how lucrative they are?

Secondly, he does need some harsh comments, because at the moment he's in love with his idea and I can say from experience that in that situation a bucket of cold water is often the best way forward for him.
    I used to develop apps for symbian platform and if i was still doing it today id glady help him out
    Well there's a lucrative market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Firstly, do you know what the average revenues for either iOS/Android indie apps are, before you make any claim as to how lucrative they are?

Secondly, he does need some harsh comments, because at the moment he's in love with his idea and I can say from experience that in that situation a bucket of cold water is often the best way forward for him.

I could be wrong but the majority of people never plan on making a killing with their apps, they just develop them for the enjoyment/need for one.

Plus a full time job in any mobile software dev position pay very well so they really don't need to make any kind of money off the app, it's just a bonus.

Picking at the finer details now are we.
    Yeah like I said used to develope for symbian, yeah its dead and some apps commanding a salary.
    One app for example is gravity 10euro the creator is called janole and making a wage weekly from it.
    And again I said I may venture into android and IOS, which where the money is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

The idea is all he has. Give that away and he's left with nothing.

If he only has an idea, he is already left with nothing...

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the majority of people never plan on making a killing with their apps, they just develop them for the enjoyment/need for one.

Plus a full time job in any mobile software dev position pay very well so they really don't need to make any kind of money off the app, it's just a bonus.
    Completely agree with you. Profit aside, app development is as often as not about enjoyment, portfolio building and because the app does something you personally want. If it's a hit, then that's (very thick) icing on the cake for most of us.

My point is that the app markets are full of sometimes well-written indie apps that no one will ever hear of and actually so making any substantial money out of them can be very, very difficult. This is not to say that it cannot, only that presuming that app development is lucrative ignores the realities of the market.
    No, just doing a reality check; you claimed that the app market is very lucrative; and for some it is, but that's like saying that playing the lotto is lucrative because some people win it.

Ultimately, unless you have some data to back up or at least qualify your claims, you're really just talking out of your hat.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »

Completely agree with you. Profit aside, app development is as often as not about enjoyment, portfolio building and because the app does something you personally want. If it's a hit, then that's (very thick) icing on the cake for most of us.

My point is that the app markets are full of sometimes well-written indie apps that no one will ever hear of and actually so making any substantial money out of them can be very, very difficult. This is not to say that it cannot, only that presuming that app development is lucrative ignores the realities of the market.
    No, just doing a reality check; you claimed that the app market is very lucrative; and for some it is, but that's like saying that playing the lotto is lucrative because some people win it.

Ultimately, unless you have some data to back up or at least qualify your claims, you're really just talking out of your hat.
    your talking out of your hat. And misunderstood the whole argument.
    I said it's lucrative for some not everyone.I've given an example of one you have given nothing.

The point I was making is your giving the OP a harsh time with his idea.
    Unless you actually developed and app and work in the sector which I do I suggest keeping harsh comments or reality checks as you say at bay.
    There is nothing wrong with having suggestions or looking for help.
    The reality here is people making rational statements that are pointless and another clean example of why things fail in this country .ie lack of support.

I said it's lucrative for some not everyone.
    No you did not. You made a pretty generalized statement: "apps are the way forward today and quite lucrative" - can you see any caveats that might suggest 'not everyone'?
    The point I was making is your giving the OP a harsh time with his idea.
    Unless you actually developed and app and work in the sector which I do I suggest keeping harsh comments or reality checks as you say at bay.
    Yes and yes. And I said why my approach was harsh - sometimes you need a bucket of cold water in these situations; and I speak from experience.
    The reality here is people making rational statements that are pointless and another clean example of why things fail in this country .ie lack of support.
    And I gave him very practical advice at the end - significantly more practical than anything you said to him.

No you did not. You made a pretty generalized statement: "apps are the way forward today and quite lucrative" - can you see any caveats that might suggest 'not everyone'?

Yes and yes. And I said why my approach was harsh - sometimes you need a bucket of cold water in these situations; and I speak from experience.

And I gave him very practical advice at the end - significantly more practical than anything you said to him.

Ive actually said nothing nor suggested anything so thats utter bull.
    I was stating that you where rather harsh you could of had a more subtle approach rather than jump down his neck.

I really look forward to seen some of your apps in the near future..

Oops! Didnt mean to start an argument...

I will start again;

I have an idea for an app,
    I have no experience in developing,
    I dont know where to go to learn.

Can someone tell me if learning would be feasible in my situation.

Or does some one want to develop it with my help/idea/input?
    I dont give a damn if I dont make a cent on it! (tho extra cash no matter how little is always good). I just saw a need and thought it might be a good idea.

Thanks to everyone who gave constructive comments and support.

I will start again;

I dont give a damn if I dont make a cent on it! (tho extra cash no matter how little is always good). I just saw a need and thought it might be a good idea.

There is no argument just somebody who has a opinionated view on this idea you have which is great,id love to help but im finished with developement for now and currently working on beta testing with WP and android.

I can pass this thread on to some developers i know and worked with and see if they can do anything..

Ive actually said nothing nor suggested anything so thats utter bull.
    There's a record of what you wrote, which I quoted - so I don't really know how you can try and spin it as something else, with a straight face.
    If you have little or no development experience, then learning is likely to be too steep a curve.

Development platforms do exist that can take some of the pain away, but in most cases they will still require development skills and experience and/or may also limit what you can develop with them.

What, if any, development skills do you have, is the pertinent question?
    As to someone helping you out, I doubt it at present. All you bring is an 'idea' and more than one poster has responded that they're cheap as chips - in short you bring nothing much to the table.

That Andromo costing $25 p.m. turned you off didn't exactly demonstrate that you've much commitment in your own idea either, while on the other hand you're looking for someone to potentially spend hundreds of hours developing it for you, which is a demonstrable commitment.

As such, if you don't want or cannot develop the app yourself, your best bet is to first do market research and perhaps also raise some capital, then look for someone as you'll have a much stronger proposition then.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

I will start again;

Do you mind me asking why, given that you're talking in such general terms here, you said earlier that it was going to be an Android only app initially?

I'm coming from the iPhone dev side of things, and though there's absolutely no pot of gold in it I do think it has a more robust paid app market.

Just curious.

Thanks for that, when I looked at andromo, it looked like it wasnt possible to do a calculator with their system (I could be wrong), also 25 pm is a lot if it turns out its all way over my head.

i have had a couple of p/m's of offer to help, one from another forum and the person actually sent me a workable demo in a matter of hours! Turned out there were a few things he couldnt do and didnt have time due to a new commitment, so he put it on the long finger. (we had no agreement btw,)

I know ideas are cheap, but without them nothing would get developed.

AhrSkidar wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why, given that you're talking in such general terms here, you said earlier that it was going to be an Android only app initially?

I'm coming from the iPhone dev side of things, and though there's absolutely no pot of gold in it I do think it has a more robust paid app market.

Just curious.

Well only cos I am an android user. I guess if there was a need/opening, it could be converted/developed for iphone users.

Again, I have no experience in developing, just looking for advice and pointers. I dont expect to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

App Store has paid out over 3 billion to developers in the last two years. Thats worth chewing on?

Advertisement