Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PORSCHE 924 ,FIRST CLASSIC

Options
  • 05-08-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying Porsche 924 2.0 ltr, year 1981, e1500 RUNNING.
    will this car need a nct and tax ?
    classic insurance,i thinking of replacing with my wifes car(second car) which i use for for work .im 47, full no claims,(ballpark, how much?)
    would 924 make a good first classic, (none turbo. not a s model)
    Anyone know about these?
    thanks
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

The car will need an annual nct but will be on classic tax, there is no such thing as a cheap classic. I would prefer a 944 as it is a real porsche

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

you'll get classic insurance from Carole Nash or First Ireland for around the €200 mark.

tax will be €52 per annum now that it's over 30 years old

the old dear will be thirsty though so expect fuel costs. It would be a good first classic, they're fairly basic mechanically and electrically. Not as basic as a VW beetle or Morris Minor mind you but basic by today's standards. SUre get the Haynes manual and join an enthusiast's forum. Best of luck with it, I always liked the "underdog" status of the 924. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So it will need a nct, its hard enough getting my 2 alot newer cars thought a nct,
    Hate to take one in 30yrs old ,with emissions and all.
    might look for 1979 or older, not that i would drive a unsafe car,
    i would keep it road worthy, but with the nct these days with standards of newer cars, properly end up scrapping it!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

The emissions for older cars are very generous at 4.5% CO so their only major concerns are the suspension, braking and body condition.

On a old reg which does show the year, at a road side check the guard would not know what year it is ,would he have to pull you in and do a check or would most just wave you on as long it is taxed, any classic car drivers experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I use a 924 daily. pre 80 give the body a good lookover.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

nig1 wrote: »
    On a old reg which does show the year, at a road side check the guard would not know what year it is ,would he have to pull you in and do a check or would most just wave you on as long it is taxed, any classic car drivers experienced this?[/

He/she wouldnt be obliged to check but obviously it's at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

I am liking this thread. I have a 924 myself as a daily driver. ;)

Insurance wise, Carol Nash and First Ireland are a good option, there is also Irish vintage society of Ireland easy to deal with and cheaper.

The price is €180 for third party, and €257 fully comprehensive, there are flat price so you will pay the same. ;) They have a classic car insurance scheme with FBD it will be no surprise their. ;)

Regarding the consumption it is 8L/100km, so 35mpg for a proper tune car. :)

For the car and what you need to check, the battery tray is prone to rust, and after the usual wheel arches.
    However, a 1981 model is fully galvanized so not that prone to rust. If you buy a 1979 or earlier one only the chassis is galvanized so more rust possible.

You say that the car is running but I am wondering does it in use? I know that Lightning on here was having is as a daily driver for sale few months back.
    I know his car was in good running order.

Do you have a link or more info on the car ?

If you want a lot more information about those car, the best place to go is porsche924.co.uk.
    A lot of us on here which own those car will be there too. ;)

I hope it helps, any more info just ask. :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

very nice, best of luck and enjoyment with it

• Advertisement

That car is not bad, I was looking at the ad the day before yesterday.

The interior is in good condition which is good really, the engine bay looks clean.

IMO the most important on a classic is to buy something which is used regulary.

I would do the following if I was going to see that car :

- Check for rust on the body and on the battery, you can see the battery tray from the inside it will tell you if fiber glass was used ;)
    - Tyres
    - Electric, does everything work the car is prone to electric issue easy to fix just in the way of the joy.
    - Is the car start well hot or cold ?
    - No sunroof leak.
    - Break, no rust on the disk.

Basically all of that is good and you like the car don't forget to take it for a spin. Those car are hard to get in, and hard to drive when you are not use to, as low car. But after all there are sports car so you need to adapt. ;)
    But when you are use to it, it is no difference except the fun.

If it is all good discuss the price a bit for the sack of the haggle and go for it if you have the money and clear the insurance first.
    Go to the NCT, do what say, they are not that picky on old car and tax and enjoy.

But as you must know already a classic, can break a bit more than a recent car simply because it is old.
    However the 924 are pretty robust engine wise and all. ;)

More detail info there porsche924.co.uk.

If it is an original irish car, it will be better as they were rare enough back then. So the value will hold better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like a few of the lads here, I run a 924 too.

That car sounds good, and maybe too good for the price. On closer inspection the paintwork - which is mentioned - looks quite ratty.

As suggested I'd check all the electrics are working. I'd also check the charge the battery is showing while driving (between 13-14 volts) to ensure the alternator is up to scratch.

If there's no NCT on the car I'd be asking why - and wouldn't accept "never got around to it" as an answer.

If you get lucky it would be a great first classic. Gearshift is a bit of pig until the oil warms up, but once you're underway it can like driving a go-kart. I bought mine 3 years ago and can't bring myself to part with it (despite a long wishlist of next classics!) as I don't know what fun and reliability I'd get for the same money.

Do you know a local mechanic or would you contact one in Wexford to take a look at it underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There's another one here that looks pretty good -

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3733494

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

There's another one here that looks pretty good -

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3733494
    looks nice alright!

Capri wrote: »
    Dont know were ill keep 3!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

looks nice alright!

IMO this is the best one so far.

Looks like it has been well look after, probably an enthusiast.

Check body work as pre '80 model was not galvanised body.

First car looks a tad grubby, check to see how many owners in last 18 months.

It has been going around a bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Dont know were ill keep 3!!!

+ 1 more

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3751707

- rent a warehouse !

So did you actually go to see any of those car ?

superfly35 wrote: »
    So did you actually go to see any of those car ?
    No. not yet ,just got my astra nct on thursday, to sell.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, let's hope the astra sell quickly ;)

Let us know where you go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

The first 924 in wexford you were looking for information on,is as follows.
    The car is used on weekends,there has been a lot of money spent on it in recent weeks.
    The engine is excellent,new T Belt,new oil filter,oil ,fuel filter,coil, distributer cap,rotor, HT leads,alternator,plugs,transister unit,electric window switches,fuel filter.
    I know this because i was given the task of doing it.
    Further this car starts very easy hot or cold,hot start is a major issue with the 924,so if you do buy one of them ,i suggest you take it for at least a 5 mile run ,switch it off and spend the next 30 min looking over the car and then see if it starts when still hot,if it doesn't you will need to buy a thermo time switch,which are not cheap or easy to fit [ if you can find one that is ]
    they are obsolete,apart from that the 924 engines are virtually bullet proof.
    Electrics can be a nightmare ,but thats normally due to dirty earths.
    The body is good but will need a respray at some stage,interior is good and it drives well.
    You will definately enjoy driving a 924,they handle very well and are comfortable,i've had 8 of them and still have 3,the 944 wouldn't be as easy a car to handle ie parts prices or reliability,in saying that i've had 2 944 and i still think the 924 is the better car.
    Not every one will agree with that.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.
    no problem ,i didn't realise he had it for sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

salysol wrote: »
    Further this car starts very easy hot or cold,hot start is a major issue with the 924,so if you do buy one of them ,i suggest you take it for at least a 5 mile run ,switch it off and spend the next 30 min looking over the car and then see if it starts when still hot,if it doesn't you will need to buy a thermo time switch,which are not cheap or easy to fit [ if you can find one that is ]
    My car has this issue and I've never heard of a thermo time switch? I fitted a cold start valve override to give it juice when trying to start from warm. Is your a different (better) solution?

(Sorry for the hijack OP - at least it keeps your thread fresh!)

Dades wrote: »
    My car has this issue and I've never heard of a thermo time switch? I fitted a cold start valve override to give it juice when trying to start from warm. Is your a different (better) solution?

(Sorry for the hijack OP - at least it keeps your thread fresh!)

That is what most 924 owners resort to,but the thermo time switch is at the back of the head,beneath the distributer,you will have to remove the distributer and the housing cover to get at it,there are 2 wires attached to it,the first is a pull off connector the second is a very small nut,be very careful with the nut as its a brass fitting with an internal wire and will break if forced,you will then need a 17 flat spanner to loosen the unit.
    i will see if i can find a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm starting to look for an '83 or earlier 924 2L as well. Very few on DD or Adverts, is there a better place to look for classics in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Where are you? I have one that I'm not using much, and thinking about selling..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement