Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PORSCHE 924 ,FIRST CLASSIC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Where are you? I have one that I'm not using much, and thinking about selling..

North Dublin. I'd say I'd have to go further afield than Dublin to buy a proper 924 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

I might well sell some of mine, I have several. :)

Depending on what you are after. You can pm me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

North Dublin. I'd say I'd have to go further afield than Dublin to buy a proper 924 though.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your interpretation of a proper 924 ?

salysol wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your interpretation of a proper 924 ?

One that isn't a junkheap. I'm not talking about spec or engine size.

here are pics of 924 ,if you look at the blue 924 turbo on the left of the pic that will be for sale in short,it is a well sorted car.

34D39B29-D80E-4699-8B75-1AA8F4E949AE-147-00000027855E0163_zpsb40da074.jpg
    EE545167-D4E0-4C90-A86B-3C5EA92BD36D-147-000000278F618E25_zps58167ad4.jpg
    was looking for better pics but can't seem to find them.

• Advertisement

Chris, are you selling the blue turbo ?

I just got a turbo myself... ouuppsss... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying Porsche 924 2.0 ltr, year 1981, e1500 RUNNING.
    will this car need a nct and tax ?
    classic insurance,i thinking of replacing with my wifes car(second car) which i use for for work .im 47, full no claims,(ballpark, how much?)
    would 924 make a good first classic, (none turbo. not a s model)
    Anyone know about these?
    thanks
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Sorry to steal your thunder. But it was a rubbish car back then and I'm not sure how 30 years would change that.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Sorry to steal your thunder. But it was a rubbish car back then and I'm not sure how 30 years would change that.

Meh, that's your opinion, the purists will never like it. But it's a good, reliable and cheap classic, and that's a major attraction for me. The only other cars I'd go for would be the BMW E30 or E24.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Meh, that's your opinion, the purists will never like it. But it's a good, reliable and cheap classic, and that's a major attraction for me. The only other cars I'd go for would be the BMW E30 or E24.

My other car is an E24.

True story. :pac:

Can I ask you what are you driving Boskowski ?

I hope your statement is based on experience.

• Advertisement

Funny enough I wanted a E30 a couple of years ago and it actually brought me to a 924. ;)

Fair enough.
    But I remember in the 80ies the 924 was considered only half a Porsche. 928 different story however.
    I find both your other models much superior to the 924, especially the 6 series is a beast.

Fair enough.
    But I remember in the 80ies the 924 was considered only half a Porsche. 928 different story however.
    I find both your other models much superior to the 924, especially the 6 series is a beast.

Yeah, the E30 is tempting but finding a pre-'84 model in good repair for maybe €1500 is a bit of a challenge. And not possible with the E24.

Fair enough.

125 BHP coupe, galvinised body, stainless exhaust system, reliable and well-built, sunroof, pop-up headlamps, great fun drive, cheap parts, cheap tax and insurance etc. etc.

For the money they go for now, nothing comes close IMHO...

superfly35 wrote: »
    Can I ask you what are you driving Boskowski ?

I hope your statement is based on experience.

That's a fair enough statement. But a friend of mine had one back when I was living in Berlin. He hated it.
    So you're right I'm not really qualified to have an opinion on this.

I'm driving E39.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

125 BHP coupe, galvinised body, stainless exhaust system, reliable and well-built, sunroof, pop-up headlamps, great fun drive, cheap parts, cheap tax and insurance etc. etc.

For the money they go for now, nothing comes close IMHO...

I don't have a sun roof :(

deckie27 wrote: »
    I don't have a sun roof :(

You do. It's in the other one. ;)

superfly35 wrote: »
    Chris, are you selling the blue turbo ?

I just got a turbo myself... ouuppsss... ;-)
    The turbos not mine its a friends and this car is a beaut ,well minded series 1 turbo
    I'm not selling any of mine superfly35 , i find the 924 the most practical all round classic ,reliable ,economical ,easy to work on , great road holding,fantastic trouble free motor etc there's not one bit of a 924 i would knock, you either like them or you don't there's no inbetween,but in saying that i've had a lot of cars and bikes i i liked every one of them ,they all did what they were meant to do ,get me from A to B and back again and they all had their own little quirks which adds to their character.

You do. It's in the other one. ;)
    your better off with a hard roof 924 no leaks to deal with,every last one leaked and ruined the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

What would the mpg be like on a 928 . Now thats a proper Porsche and with classic tax and insurance along with zero depreciation could make a good day to day motor.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    What would the mpg be like on a 928 . Now thats a proper Porsche and with classic tax and insurance along with zero depreciation could make a good day to day motor.

Who cares about MPG? :D

The 928 is about 20L/km as far as I remember. They are 2 different type of car, the 928 is a supercar and comes with supercar price.
    A well sorted one is about 10 000 euro.

Always wanted a 928 but it's very hard to get one that hasn't been abused,plus they are a money pit,the 928 has a lot of the same problems as the 924 but cost a whole lot more to fix,also the parts are not as readily available as the 924.
    In saying that i would still buy one if it had a good history and was reasonably priced,as for consumption i wouldn't care,i'd be happy enough to have it sit in the shed and look at it,wouldn't be practical as a daily driver.
    where as the 924 set up right and driven sensibly can return 35 to 40 mpg,but then who has sense when driving a porsche any porsche ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

salysol wrote: »
    Always wanted a 928 but it's very hard to get one that hasn't been abused,plus they are a money pit,the 928 has a lot of the same problems as the 924 but cost a whole lot more to fix,also the parts are not as readily available as the 924.
    In saying that i would still buy one if it had a good history and was reasonably priced,as for consumption i wouldn't care,i'd be happy enough to have it sit in the shed and look at it,wouldn't be practical as a daily driver.
    where as the 924 set up right and driven sensibly can return 35 to 40 mpg,but then who has sense when driving a porsche any porsche ?

928 is too heavy a 450sel feels nimble in comparison , very disappointing Porsche .

So, any other suggestions? Tough to find a pre-'84 E30 or E24 without spending large amounts or buying a complete wreck. Think I'll just bide my time.

Budget?

Budget?

About €1200 at the moment.

About €1200 at the moment.

That'll get you an OK one, in need of just a little work.

Maybe something requiring a new CV joint and heater blower motor (provided), and also has the infamous hot-start issue. :P

That'll get you an OK one, in need of just a little work.

Maybe something requiring a new CV joint and heater blower motor (provided), and also has the infamous hot-start issue. :P

Ah yes, the hot start issue. I heard something about a jury rigged switch to deal with that problem.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the hot start issue. I heard something about a jury rigged switch to deal with that problem.

Yeah, seems to be the most common fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement