Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mistakes you have made you would warn others about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Anyway my point still stands

On one leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Anyway my point still stands

Hmm. ok, a bronze for that i suppose.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Never try to eat anything bigger than your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Always read the labels on sachets in Burger King. Ended up putting sugar on my chips and salt in my tea. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I used my housemates mint shampoo all over my body, as I thought it was shower gel.

Burned the knob off me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Always part with someone on kind words. You don't know if that's the last time you'll see them/when you'll see them again.

It doesn't matter what other people are telling/advising you, if your gut is telling you something, it's usually right. If you're struggling to make a decision or something doesn't feel right, go with your gut. You won't regret it in the end.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take.

When you start to worry about something/a situation, think "will this matter a year from now?". If not, then no need to worry. If it will, then you can invest more time thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

Better safe than sorry.

Know your limits with alcohol.

Be nice to those who are nice to you.

Forgive your mistakes, everybody has mistakes.

Try to take good care of yourself mentally and physically.

If you lend money to people, be prepared to write it off.

Try not to hurt others.

Try to be understanding, forgive, don't be bitter.

Spend lots of time with family and the people you love.

Try everything you want that you think isn't stupid/dangerous.

Don't get hung up on the past, live for the present and the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Better safe than sorry.

Know your limits with alcohol.

Be nice to those who are nice to you.

Forgive your mistakes, everybody has mistakes.

Try to take good care of yourself mentally and physically.

If you lend money to people, be prepared to write it off.

Try not to hurt others.

Try to be understanding, forgive, don't be bitter.

Spend lots of time with family and the people you love.

Try everything you want that you think isn't stupid/dangerous.

Don't get hung up on the past, live for the present and the future.

Yes! God dam this is so true ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Never ever get married.

100% of Divorces happen because of marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My Mum always told me:
    • Be nice to those you meet on the way up. They're the ones you pass on the way down.
    • If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.
    • It's better to keep your mouth closed and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    • Never look at what people have. You don't know how they came by it.

And my friend's Nan told me the best one:

Always buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes. If you ain't in one, you're in the other!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Before you start your business.

Always check that there is bog roll!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Always write the dates on the back of photographs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Do not Iron your trousers whilst still wearing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Becareful what you tell your family about your partner. While you may forgive them, your mother never will.

Feeling fear is natural, listen to it but don't let it tell you what to do.

Slow down and proceed with caution.

You always always have a choice even if that choice is only how you react to something. Always aim for the positive.

The man in the van doesn't have sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Always try to pay your esb bill on time,otherwise they will haunt you with phonecalls...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Get up early (or earlier) in the morning and to bed earlier at night........really successful people do this sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I thought a job advert said light housework. I've been stuck on this rocky island for months now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Get up early (or earlier) in the morning and to bed earlier at night........really successful people do this sh1t.

I already get up at 6am so you can p1ss off if you think im getting up any earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

When you're drunk and trying to make coffee, don't use gravy granules like I did. A cup of gravy with two sugars is not nice at all.
    This reminds me of a traumatic experience I had. I had just moved into my new house and decided to have a cup of coffee because there were no teabags. I didn't normally drink coffee so I decided to have two spoons of sugar in it to sweeten it after I took the first sip. Who the hell puts salt in a sugar bowl; that is just malicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

nbar12 wrote: »
    I already get up at 6am so you can p1ss off if you think im getting up any earlier

I get up at half 4 and start work at 6. I'm also doing a full time degree. In America we would both be considered normal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Friends do more harm than enemies so go it alone and think for yourself .Be wary of anything popular .Do not follow the crowd .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For the love of god never get a Credit Card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Always try to pay your esb bill on time,otherwise they will haunt you with phonecalls...

They stepped this up a few notches since the recession started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...never let a bully have time to ruin your life, report them early and often and make use of one of the few advantages of big organisations/firms. Also free lance workers can avoid bullies by being "busy with other jobs" when they call, provided they have enough work.

...never burn bridges or go into revenge with people esp those in authority. Treat guards, people in govt etc like dangerous snakes, keep them at arms length and great respect, know the vindictivness and sensitivity of those who serve the nation state.

Dont use drugs, tobacco, and if you can stay away from drink.

If you can, do all in your power to get a public service job, then work like you could be fired in the morning and try to get to the top. Once at the top try and get all the directorships you can and bail out on a good pension at age 55......

Push education as far as you can go, they alway look good on CV's. Minimum for any decent job now is Masters as the companies won't take anything less in this country at the moment with 14.7% unemployment and anything lower will only get you a powerless slave position.

Re: self employment. Avoid any jobs which require a large input of expensive materials or energy or long periods of time. A job which relies on large amounts of material can be traced by VAT accounts, a certain level of income can be deduced from a certain level of material purchases and lower than average reported income will instantly raise suspicions. Also very hard to get paid for large jobs and risky if a large input of materials and energy needed.

Avoid things like taxis or other jobs where a large single payment is needed for insurance, plates, meters etc. You will end up working months in a year just to pay off these bills with no guarantee of work needed to keep solvent. Have a look at the taxi queues at Heuston station or Dublin airport for more details.....

Likewise for busses, hauliers etc, too much fixed input for little return and long hours and expensive inputs.

Always look for jobs with a high rate of unionisation or large enough to afford a good professional and effective HR department. Do not rely on chance to keep you safe from bullying bosses, co-workers or other risk factors which can turn a job into hell. Be ready to bail out in a short time if you encounter a bullying boss, its easier to hide 2 months on a CV than 2 years........

On the other hand all past acrimony is soon lost in the mists of time if you can put in a year or two good work with a good boss, most employers will only delve in deeply into your most recent 2 yrs on a CV.

Parents may say your hobbies are a "waste of time" but do not rely on your main qualification for your livelihood. I have lost count of the number of middle aged people, who cannot get work in corporate, "mainstream" employment who are doing a nice earner as entertainers, coaches, guides, writers, translators, craft workers, painters, etc and turned their pastime into a job.........anything is better than the dole, I'd shovel **** rather than go back on the dole, trouble is most health and safety officials do not allow people to shovel **** nowadays and you need a "safe pass" for everything, try getting one at short notice........

Try as many sexual positions as possible........even the one's that hurt! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's cool to know lot's of people but keep a small variety of good close friends instead of a large selection of people ,who really aren't your friends ( of course if your the most popular person on the block with everybody then you wont care either way )

Don't waste time with people who drain you, both physically and mentally .

If you get a good idea be careful who you share it with because some bastad's will steal it and say it was there's to begin with ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I have to just reiterate the smoking one... dont do it, you will regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sorry, but there's only so much 'reverse anal jackhammer' this little tush can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Things your local priest says?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 waywardsun

Don't write just desserts. It's incorrect no matter how many times the magazines/newspapers write it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

NEVER give passwords to anyone, or allow them to see you type it over your shoulder, especially where money can be accessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Do not EVER write off a close friendship over pride or a stupid/minor thing, especially if alcohol is involved! It really is heart breaking when you have to pass that same friend in the street and not acknowledge each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

This one is for couples

Never waste an opportunity to indulge in decadent and debauched afternoons in bed together. Its a rarity when you both work, but before you know whats hit you when your partner suggests going back to bed together, you'll both be so exhausted by life that you'll both be hoping all they want to do is sleep.:(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Entertaining ambitions of any kind because success brings it's own woes too .Eventually it bores you as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

paddyandy wrote: »
    Entertaining ambitions of any kind because success brings it's own woes too .Eventually it bores you as well .

Jaysus............ so negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Self explanatory title. What mistakes have you made that you would warn others about in the hope of stopping history repeating itself.

I will kick it off with this:

When applying deep heat to a groin strain make sure you don't accidentally get some on your nut sack. Just had 5 minutes of agony accompanied by trying to dunk my balls in a sink of water to cool down. :D

when parking a car on a hill put the handbrake on before getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fuinseog wrote: »
    when parking a car on a hill put the handbrake on before getting out.

You might like to leave the car in gear too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ASK HER OUT TODAY... because one day you'll meet her with another guy's bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you renting and looking for a room share?

Never ever share with a couple, they will gang up on you if there is ever a disagreement

You want to chill and watch some TV and they'll be mauling each other on the couch. They'll take over the kitchen when you want to cook something. I could keep going.

It just doesn't work.

Better to share with housemates on their own

Sorry, but there's only so much 'reverse anal jackhammer' this little tush can take.

lol ....but you get my general thrust! :P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Dont take what someone says at just their word, forgetting any obvious doubts etc if you just think about them more.

Save more, aka dont spend all your money on booze nights etc.

get to know your grandparents moreso, they wont be around much longer tbh.

Stop letting people or random worries/feeling from things that happened before destroy your happy and slushy feelings for your relationship, love and something/someone you never thought would happen or would even exist now, let go of past worries sneaking up and have fun and faith in your actual love now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Never give a politician an easy time when they canvas your door pre election as you ain't gonna get another chance for many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

doolox wrote: »
    ...never let a bully have time to ruin your life, report them early and often and make use of one of the few advantages of big organisations/firms. Also free lance workers can avoid bullies by being "busy with other jobs" when they call, provided they have enough work.

...never burn bridges or go into revenge with people esp those in authority. Treat guards, people in govt etc like dangerous snakes, keep them at arms length and great respect, know the vindictivness and sensitivity of those who serve the nation state.

Dont use drugs, tobacco, and if you can stay away from drink.

If you can, do all in your power to get a public service job, then work like you could be fired in the morning and try to get to the top. Once at the top try and get all the directorships you can and bail out on a good pension at age 55......

Push education as far as you can go, they alway look good on CV's. Minimum for any decent job now is Masters as the companies won't take anything less in this country at the moment with 14.7% unemployment and anything lower will only get you a powerless slave position.

Re: self employment. Avoid any jobs which require a large input of expensive materials or energy or long periods of time. A job which relies on large amounts of material can be traced by VAT accounts, a certain level of income can be deduced from a certain level of material purchases and lower than average reported income will instantly raise suspicions. Also very hard to get paid for large jobs and risky if a large input of materials and energy needed.

Avoid things like taxis or other jobs where a large single payment is needed for insurance, plates, meters etc. You will end up working months in a year just to pay off these bills with no guarantee of work needed to keep solvent. Have a look at the taxi queues at Heuston station or Dublin airport for more details.....

Likewise for busses, hauliers etc, too much fixed input for little return and long hours and expensive inputs.

Always look for jobs with a high rate of unionisation or large enough to afford a good professional and effective HR department. Do not rely on chance to keep you safe from bullying bosses, co-workers or other risk factors which can turn a job into hell. Be ready to bail out in a short time if you encounter a bullying boss, its easier to hide 2 months on a CV than 2 years........

On the other hand all past acrimony is soon lost in the mists of time if you can put in a year or two good work with a good boss, most employers will only delve in deeply into your most recent 2 yrs on a CV.

Parents may say your hobbies are a "waste of time" but do not rely on your main qualification for your livelihood. I have lost count of the number of middle aged people, who cannot get work in corporate, "mainstream" employment who are doing a nice earner as entertainers, coaches, guides, writers, translators, craft workers, painters, etc and turned their pastime into a job.........anything is better than the dole, I'd shovel **** rather than go back on the dole, trouble is most health and safety officials do not allow people to shovel **** nowadays and you need a "safe pass" for everything, try getting one at short notice........

Never take advice on running a business/ being self employed from someone who also gives advice on how important your CV and education is, and the need for a pension :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

TheQueen wrote: »
    Never bring a hand mirror to the bathroom after giving birth. There are some things you do not need to see.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Don't stress over exams or qualifications. I did, I got loads, and I have never, ever used any of them. I now employ a fair few people, and no, I never ask about qualifications, I'm more interested in decent people who do their very best. Knowing what I know now, I don't care a hoot what my sons do at school. Many of my most successful, wealthy friends have not a qualification to their names. One of the wealthiest men I know can't actually read as he never went to school past 12. Do not stress over exams. They are not the b all and end all they are made out to be.:) It's far more important to be able to think for yourself, rather than remember stuff to regurgitate for others approval. I go to the same caff for breakfast ever morning and it's full of local businessmen, the same old faces pretty much all busy and doing well. It is a room full of "thickies" by the usual educational definitions, but everyone there has done well enough without too many pieces of paper to go around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Enjoy yourself it's later than you think!

Nobody in their 70s ever looks back and says "I wish I worked longer hours when I was younger".

Do not neglect your family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dont be a prick as a young person.

A bad reputation is easy to get but hard to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When someone asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it is a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

always get a second opinion if you are in doubt over anything related to your health

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

when you have insomnia DO NOT sit up and drink a bottle of dozol. it will just make you feel peculiar. and not very nice the next day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement