Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Saville exposed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's bull very bad TV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hang in there Hoot - Here comes Glitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, how the feck did he get away with this :eek:

He wrote that in his autobiography? Jesus Christ.

That clip with Savile and Gadd (Gary Glitter) sent a chill down my spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Something strange about seeing the jim 'll fix it clips with all the kids blurred out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Gary Glitters gona find it tough to get work after this documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Skid wrote: »
    Just reading in The Irish Independent, Jimmy Saville never made it to Dublin.

He didn't get onboard the Cruise Ship in Liverpool that was meant to take him to Dublin, nobody is sure why.

Hope he is alright.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74319470&postcount=534

I posted that last year on the Late Late Show thread in the TV Forum (after Jimmy Savile failed to appear)

Now I wish he had fallen overboard and got cut to ribbons by the Ship's Propellors :(:mad:

The tail-chasing by the BBC people is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Something strange about seeing the jim 'll fix it clips with all the kids blurred out

Very, very disturbing to watch the little boy who wasn't blurred out smiling and laughing at Savile's antics. As presumably that boy was the man who was being interviewed about being abused after that show. Seeing him happy and having fun while being told what was about to happen in the next hour or so was extremely upsetting.

• Advertisement

The tail-chasing by the BBC people is hilarious.

And eerily familiar.

Lapin wrote: »
    And eerily familiar.

Howso?

Because of the corruption within any large organisation? No one having the guts to stand up and say something, potentially taking their career with them? Because folks are sheep and only care about money and lifestyle over what is right? They are the only reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE ****ed up with Fr-Gate of course so its not unique.

A good programme I thought, didn't ease off on Peter Rippon, who is toast. While what Paul Gambicini said about hierarchys is certainly true, I wish he'd been a little more contrite.

I'm disgusted with all those influential people who 'didn't think' to report him. Oh, it didn't occur to you to report that someone was molesting kids? Not your problem, was it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Buttonftw wrote: »
    He wrote that in his autobiography? Jesus Christ.

Wrote what? The suspense is killing me.

Wrote what? The suspense is killing me.

A story from his dancehall days, a teenage girl was missing and Savile was told by the local police to keep an eye out for her at the dance, Savile quipped if he found her he'd keep here overnight as his reward (I think), well she was located and delivered to a female officer by him the next morning, he commented in his book that if he was arrested "he'd take half the local station with him"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Did anyone else note the lingering shot of Freddie "nowt to do with me" Starr on Clunk Click?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Which we can't see here in the Republic, but those in Northern Ireland will I assume.

The things he said on his shows were amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Just watched the documentary. I thought that Savile uses the cigar to mask the saliva swallowing/awkward answers. He lied a lot, was very evasive and defensive. A fruitcake alright but he obviously revels in that PLUS it gives him a mask. Leaving the notebook with the address out in a very visible place plus the advice that if the interviewer's career hit stormy waters (he would sort it) is the type of intimidation and grooming that he so successfully used on those kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Does anybody know how to play BBC iplayer in the Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to play BBC iplayer in the Republic?
    Expat Shield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure this bloke was blatant about it on tv for years and has never got done for anything. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That's incredibly creepy ^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Wonder will any one else come forward about freddie Starr. Maybe it was just a one off kiddie fiddle, Sir Jimmy was a bad influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Sure this bloke was blatant about it on tv for years and has never got done for anything. :confused:

Who was that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Remember seen that a few years ago,seriously messed up,where their parents even in the crowd?how could you stand by!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

marky1905 wrote: »
    Wonder will any one else come forward about freddie Starr. Maybe it was just a one off kiddie fiddle, Sir Jimmy was a bad influence.

he claims he's innocent, and that the stress is killing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Seen that video a few weeks back, fair play to the audience member who called a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

holy chitballs thats vile, it seems at the time the more they were blatant the less suspected they were, the doco last night screamed out the catholic church in ireland to me, men in high power, using it to prey on the fears of venerable people, it is really stomach churning

Neeson wrote: »

Genius if it doesn't quite scan.

It was mentioned last night there was a trio of perverts - Savile we can assume is one, Gary Glitter/Paul Gadd another is likely while the third is either Freddie Star or Jonathan King I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

also wht struck me at the end of the doco was the lady saying there was a peado ring in the BBC at the time, I think we are in for an amazing 6 months of revelations regarding what went on. People actually watched on as saville carried out sexual acts on children in his dressing room! i mean WTF!!!!
    those poor children, left with an emptyness and nightmares and the vile smell of cigar smoke to haunt them for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Did anyone else note the lingering shot of Freddie "nowt to do with me" Starr on Clunk Click?

Must say, I thought this was a young Jim Davidson and was very curious as to why Panorama had so deliberately lingered on him. Both of them must have looked very similar as young men.

It wasn't Davidson so....happy to have that clarrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So according to the BBC boss bloke this is the second surpressed TV investigation show into allegation of a ppedo ring in the BBC.

The first was back in the nineties

Why do people think Freddie Starr was at it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh there haven't been allegations against Starr so people should ease off on him. Just because he's the same vintage and looked/acted odd doesn't mean it's a dead cert he was abusing kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

is hard to believe how many people were involved,when the tory party conferences were held in blackpool ,the PMs yacht would be normally moored offshore,a credible witness a former member of the special boat service assigned to guard the boat,says saville was regularly seen taking young boys on board the yacht the morning cloud,when they were at a conservative party conference,in addition ,saville was allegedly-well known for supplying a number of high profile MPs with children for them to sexually abuse ,with high profile connections like that,there would be little chance of him being prosecuted,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

getz wrote: »
    is hard to believe how many people were involved,when the tory party conferences were held in blackpool ,the PMs yacht would be normally moored offshore,a credible witness a former member of the special boat service assigned to guard the boat,says saville was regularly seen taking young boys on board the yacht the morning cloud,when they were at a conservative party conference,in addition ,saville was allegedly-well known for supplying a number of high profile MPs with children for them to sexually abuse ,with high profile connections like that,there would be little chance of him being prosecuted,
    WHAT!?? Source please

getz with another of his run-to-da-hills specials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Has the Irvine Welsh book Ecstasy been mentioned here?

I remember reading it in the late 1990s though never made the connection with Savile.

Its incredible stuff, I'd love to hear what Welsh has to say about it now.....but obviously he was trying to get he message out. The Freddie Royle character is very clearly based on Savile.

“Yes, the trustees knew all about Freddy Royle, Glen reflected bitterly. They knew the real secrets of the chat-show host, the authors of several books, including Howzat! – Freddy Royle On Cricket, Freddy Royle’s Somerset, Somerset With a Z: The Wit of the West Country, West Country Walks With Freddy Royle and Freddy Royle’s 101 Magic Party Tricks. Yes, those trustee bastards knew what this distinguished friend, this favorite caring, laconic uncle to the nation did with the stiffs they got in here. The thing was, Freddy brought millions of pounds into the place with his fund-raising activities. This brought kudos to the trustees, and made St Hubbin’s Hospital a flagship for the arm’s-length trusts from the NHS. All they had to do was keep schtumm and indulge Sir Freddy with the odd body.”http://dangerousminds.net/comments/irvine_welsh_on_jimmy_savile_was_savile_a_necrophiliac_then_or_what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Guess they'll never air some class old episodes of Pop of the Tot...er...Top of the Pops now again. Now then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh there haven't been allegations against Starr so people should ease off on him. Just because he's the same vintage and looked/acted odd doesn't mean it's a dead cert he was abusing kids.

There have been allegations against Starr, by the woman heavily featured on the Panorama expose last night: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/09/jimmy-savile-abuse-claims-freddie-starr

To be fair to Starr, he completely denies these claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Neeson wrote: »
    Why do people think Freddie Starr was at it too?

Here's the allegation about Freddie Starr: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217004/Jimmy-Savile-scandal-Karin-Ward-accuses-Freddie-Starr-pouncing-her.html

BBC DG has said they are investigating claims against 8 to 10 individuals. In addition to Savile and Starr there are stories about 'Fluff' Freeman, DLT, and Jonathan King. I wonder who the others are and where it ends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

WHAT!?? Source please
    www.whale.to/bisexual_politics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Did either of last night's programmes say why they waited till he was dead for the revelations to be made public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gotta love the spin being put on things by some of the BBC oldhats. Rather than talk about the horrible things that happened, they're talking about how proud people should be that the BBC are willing to internally investigate the matter. And that no other broadcaster in the world would be so open about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

WindSock wrote: »
    Did either of last night's programmes say why they waited till he was dead for the revelations to be made public?

I think they mentioned that many of the victims were afraid to speak to anyome about it until he was dead.

Advertisement