Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Classic' films you didn't think were all that great.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

juan.kerr wrote: »
    What genius came up with the idea to kill off the great Steven Seagal early on?

Actually it was Steven's.

The catering lorry was getting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Citizen Kane.. Mildly interesting but I just don't understand the obsession film conessieurs have with it. 7/10 but far from greatest film ever

I don't think Citizen Kane is thought of as an all round brilliant film. It's what Wells did with the camera that made it so interesting at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Actually it was Steven's.

The catering lorry was getting away.

Are you sure about that? I don't have the DVD handy at the moment but I didn't think he was fat back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lad has a sweet factory.
    Big swing.

Also as a business man he needs to address over elaborate and cost inefficient production methods. Also the marketing dept should be able to do better than a competition for a "free tour of the facility" Laughable.

That was genius marketing, sales skyrocket for people to win that prize. Also, the production methods might be inefficient, but they give the products the quality that make them sell well.
    Your attitude is typical of accountants ruining a business. Take over the company, get rid of the waterfall and put in an industrial mixing machine cos it's cheaper. Initially profits go up cos production is cheaper, but chocolate doesn't taste the same so sales go down and the company can't get it's good name back. Willy Wonka is a marketing and chocolate production genius.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There will be blood, dragged on and so boring. The Hangover, not funny at all imo, Inception as well, thought it was boring!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

bluewolf wrote: »
    I guess it was an...

:cool:

...executive decision :cool::cool::cool:

You do have your moments Bluewolf :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Avatar, titanic, the Godfather, toy story (all of them), akira, superman 1+2, the shining (not a patch on the book), ET, brief encounters of the third kind.
    That's what I can think of at the mo.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That was genius marketing, sales skyrocket for people to win that prize. Also, the production methods might be inefficient, but they give the products the quality that make them sell well.
    Your attitude is typical of accountants ruining a business. Take over the company, get rid of the waterfall and put in an industrial mixing machine cos it's cheaper. Initially profits go up cos production is cheaper, but chocolate doesn't taste the same so sales go down and the company can't get it's good name back. Willy Wonka is a marketing and chocolate production genius.

Don't forget he wasn't paying his staff much - cheap labour goes a long way. Plus he was planning to give the factory away so why would he give a toss?

Although in fairness he could have done with a visit from Health & Safety. Who want's to eat chocolate that the fat kid (Gloop was it?) probably pissed or shat in after he fell in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Citizen Kane.. Mildly interesting but I just don't understand the obsession film conessieurs have with it. 7/10 but far from greatest film ever

That reminded me of this.. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Human Traffic...felt like it didn't really have much of a story line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Pulp Fiction. Complete and utter tosh, and as for that haircut on Uma Thurman...ridiculous.

Say what one more time...

I'm just surprised thet no one has pointed out the obvious flaw with including Executive Decision in the thread - Seagal stopped making classics after Under Siege. NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

My wife and I walked out of There Will be Blood. Awful stuff. Daniel Day Lewis basically acting the nutter for three hours, the preacher's son who doesn't wash after getting the sh*te kicked out of him but then attacks his father, the violins. The bloody violins. Woegeous.

Props to the lad who said Scarface - I'm guessing the Oliver Stone version. I challenge anyone to get through it neither drunk nor stoned and find it in any way credible. Bloody stupid campery.

The General. Decent film, but not the classic it's made out to be.

Star Wars. Just watched the entire series with the young fellah and realised how flawed, from a storytelling point of view, they are. Confusing (key facts are often just bunged into conversation so a 7-year-old will miss them), heavy on the exposition, and not great acting.

I still have to make it all the way through Citizen Kane.

Probably a lot more but I should stop procrastinating.

I thought The Dark Knight was a decent enough movie but im baffled as to why its #8 on imdb top movies of all time. And Heath Ledgers performance was very overrated also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

do the James Bond films count? I fcuking hate them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by bluewolf
    I loved the shawshank novella, so i was suffering from a case of "that's not what happened!" in the movie
    it was ok though

That was some novella

Different Seasons

3 of the 4 stories went on to become great films.

I thought Shawshank was one of the best films ever made, the green mile was also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Apocalypse Now.

I can only sit through so many explosions before it all starts to look the same. A couple of cool lines do not a classic movie make.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Executive Decision. What genius came up with the idea to kill off the once great Steven Seagal early on?

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Oh....

Anything - anything - by Oliver Stone. That guy has all the subtlety of a brick in a sock, and I cringe that my 12-year-old self found his films profound.

Four Wedding and a funer
    Bridget Jones

As a matter of fact anything with Hugh Pants in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

No Country for Old Men - was boring as hell I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

krudler wrote: »
    . Different Seasons is a great book.
    Is that the one with "The Body" (stand by me) in it aswell?
    If its the same one I'm thinking of it was a brilliant book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Any of the SAW films
    The simpsons movie. (Worst film ever.)

Any of the SAW films
    The simpsons movie. (Worst film ever.)

I was pleasantly surprised by Saw, I never watch the slasher films, but that actually had an intelligent-ish story. I never seen any of the others, I rech-on they are slasher films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

phasers wrote: »
    do the James Bond films count? I fcuking hate them all.

The same thing over and over again. The villain should just shoot Bond in the head instead of bringing him to his house and having some inept guard watch over him.

All the Star Wars movies and L.O.R movies. - vastly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Rocky films. Rocky 1 especially was quite dull. I remember thinking to myself, f*cking get to the boxing already.

Rambo movies as well. I just don't like terrible inaccuracies in movies, and these movies are really flawed. I know some people can turn their brains off and just watch it, but I can't. I'd be like, why is that Vietnamese solider shooting a handgun at Rambo when he's clearly out of range. Or why did Rambo waste all his explosive arrows on killing soldiers, he just used his arrows up and now he can't use them on that helicopter.

Avatar. With all the hype it was getting, I expected the be going into the next Godfather movie or something. It was just great CGI and nothing else. The story was taken from 5 different books, and it failed to really captivate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Scarface
    The 4th indiana jones movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The 1st time i saw pulp fiction i didnt get it, said it was a load of rubbish, watched it again months later and loved it on 2nd viewing, watched it loads of times since, never happened to any other film since.

Never took to star wars even tho all my friends at school were big into it!!

I dont want to hear about anchorman being rubbish, i fecking love that film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gaelicred wrote: »
    The 4th indiana jones movie
    Doubt anyone considers that classic. Apart from George Lucas, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Great expectations.

It wasn't all I hoped for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement