Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Classic' films you didn't think were all that great.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Goro wrote: »
    Great expectations.

It wasn't all I hoped for.

In fairness anything based on Dickens or Shakespeare is dound to be poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Chinatown. Dog Day Afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

geeky wrote: »
    Oh....

Anything - anything - by Oliver Stone. That guy has all the subtlety of a brick in a sock, and I cringe that my 12-year-old self found his films profound.
    I'd agree nearly 100%, but I'd give him a gong for Salvador. Great little flick with James Woods in it. The only flick with James Belushi in it where I don't want to kill him or all the studio execs who greenlighted it.
    geeky wrote: »
    My wife and I walked out of There Will be Blood. Awful stuff. Daniel Day Lewis basically acting the nutter for three hours, the preacher's son who doesn't wash after getting the sh*te kicked out of him but then attacks his father, the violins. The bloody violins. Woegeous.
    +1. Torture acting, which DDL is a charm for. It's pretty much his entire range and he's about as subtle as a housebrick with it. I personally don't rate him at all. All tics and tricks and accents. And the "method" nonsense is really indulgent IMHO. As Olivier said to Hoffman when he was pulling the same childish shíte "why don't you just act dear boy".
    Props to the lad who said Scarface - I'm guessing the Oliver Stone version. I challenge anyone to get through it neither drunk nor stoned and find it in any way credible. Bloody stupid campery.
    It's a great flick if you're a teenager I reckon, but you tend to grow out of it. It's the best mirror of the teenage years, overblown, self assured, mistaking angst for emotion. It's like Porkies with guns. I generally like Brian De Palma's stuff but not that one.
    Star Wars. Just watched the entire series with the young fellah and realised how flawed, from a storytelling point of view, they are. Confusing (key facts are often just bunged into conversation so a 7-year-old will miss them), heavy on the exposition, and not great acting.
    Oh yea deeply flawed and a major rip off of other stories. His first draft was prett much a complete cog of a Japanese Samurai flick to the degree the studio wanted to buy the rights so they wouldn't get sued. Luckily they baulked at that so Lucas(and his wife) came back with something different enough to avoid the lawyers). I think it's great success is in the universe it created and it's backstory. A universe where our imagination makes it better than the product. Jedi's and all that shíte are fcuking brilliant concepts. The "everything is slightly bollocksed, cos this stuff is everyday to us" was a major deviation from the squeaky clean Star Trek universe*. The Millennium Falcon is the spaceship we'd all love to have, but the execution is lacking(with the exception of Empire). Shít the Falcon on screen rarely moves in anything but a straight line. I think that's why the prequels dissappointed so many. The star wars universe of our collective imaginings built up over time viewed through the prism of childhood memories needed a far better director and storyteller than a hack who got lucky(very) like Lucas.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Executive Decision. What genius came up with the idea to kill off the great Steven Seagal early on?
    That idea was first(IIRC) used by Hitchcock in Psycho. He kills off the female lead and a famous one at the time in the oul shower scene. Christ I just referenced Seagal and Hitchcock in the same sentence.
    Be eaten alive for this, but don't think the Lord of the Rings trilogy is as good as some people make it out to be.
    +1. Then again I always had an itch regarding LOTR as a concept as any kids I knew in school into it had haemorrhoids at 13 by being so obsessively anal. Tried to read it, but god I was soooo bored by the concept. I'd add that bloody lion the witch and the wardrobe to that list. Then again at least those previous generations had far more actual quality to dig into than that godawful Harry Potter sheeeite.

*do not get me started on that pompous vainglorious shíte. The original series and the one where the lads end up in 80's LA is good. One of the best lines in the whole franchise; *random love interest* "so you're from outer space?" *Jimmy Kirk* "No I'm from Iowa, I just work in outer space".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

bluewolf wrote: »
    I loved the shawshank novella, so i was suffering from a case of "that's not what happened!" in the movie
    it was ok though

Shawshank was very close to the novella. It just added a lot more (i.e beefing up Brook's role.)

I actually think the film was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Scarface. Hasn't aged well and really wasn't that good to begin with. The scene where Tony is dancing with a cigar in his mouth is beyond cringey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Bad Panda wrote: »
    No Country for Old Men - was boring as hell I thought.

The book was not great either, with quite a few anachronisms in it, one example being someone getting money out of an ATM in rural Texas...in 1980. I seem to recall there was a mention of a mobile phone in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The new batman movie out now,The Dark Knight Rises.......I know its not a classic movie but everyone I know is goin about what a brilliant flick it is.

I thought it was ok.........not a patch on the previous batman movie with Heath Ledger.

Absolutely agree!
    It has a 9/10 rating on IMDB (what the actual fucck like???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

HidePork wrote: »
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - not even a proper Western and they copied that bike scene from a silent movie.

Ah, you've got to be kiddin'... 1960s Hollywood produced some top class films & that is right up there with the best of them. It has everything - drama, action humour, a love story & a great friendship played brilliantly by Newman & Redford who - in this film - are stunningly handsome.

I'm not sure where they might have stolen the bicycle scene from, but even if they did, it was worth stealing as it's one of the most iconic (& humourous) scenes of Hollywood's 1960s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Absolutely agree!
    It has a 9/10 rating on IMDB (what the actual fucck like???)

its more then a lie its an insult to my intelligence there was some seriously short sighted editiing going on in that movie i swear there was one seen i was shocked made it into the movie it was that bad...

Being honest that movie was rushed everything thing from the acting to the directing to the filming and editing it was all rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Carlitos Way, I thought it was just a poor film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Snowie wrote: »
    its more then a lie its an insult to my intelligence there was some seriously short sighted editiing going on in that movie i swear there was one seen i was shocked made it into the movie it was that bad...
    Was it
    the first fight scene between Bane and Batman, in the tunnels
    ?

Because I thought that was atrocious myself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can people please expand on why they don't like these movies other that just saying "average" and things like that.

I didn't really like Inception as much as everyone else. I thought the soundtrack created more tension than the actual scenes and while the concept of planting an idea in someones head and allowing it to grow was interesting, the whole stuff about dream levels and Leo's wife showing up everywhere just got a bit ridiculous I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DaenyB

I could well be hated for saying this but thought 2001 a space odyssey was the most boring tripe ever!

When it comes to more recent films I was genuinely angry aferwards that I'd wasted an entire evening watching Tree of Life, such pretentious self-indulgent pants!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 YoungTrouble

I HATED The Womb Filler.
    Such a stupid plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Colmustard wrote: »
    You have a heart of stone, that film always makes me blubber.

plus I know for a fact that she doesn't believe every time a bell rings an angel get's it's wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Deliverance

Has some famous scenes and music and quotes that everyone knows

Didn't like the film at all, long and uninteresting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

those of you who hated 2001, did you see it in the cinema or on tv?

It really is a cinema experience, I was absolutely blown away when I saw it on the big screen. I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much watching it on a telly.

Unforgiven.
    More like unforgivable I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Casablanca. Carl Dreyer's Vampyr. Some Like It Hot.

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    Some Like It Hot.

How very dare you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Another one for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I saw each film once in the cinema when they were released. I bought the blu ray box set recently as it was going cheap and it had been years since I've seen them so I thought I'd give them another whirl. I couldn't even make it through the first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DaenyB

phasers wrote: »
    those of you who hated 2001, did you see it in the cinema or on tv?

It really is a cinema experience, I was absolutely blown away when I saw it on the big screen. I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much watching it on a telly.

I'll admit I had to watch it as part of a college assignment years ago so it was never gonna be a proper cinematic experience watching it some afternoon in a media room but at the same time I found it unbearably boring. I'm the type of person who will always give a film/book a chance and would never walk out of a cinema or anything but I found it very tough to keep any level of interest to be honest!

For those saying Casablanca and LOTR I'm pretty shocked! Think they're amazing!

Another one for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I saw each film once in the cinema when they were released. I bought the blu ray box set recently as it was going cheap and it had been years since I've seen them so I thought I'd give them another whirl. I couldn't even make it through the first film.

I did think Frodo could have gotten on that bloody boat a lot faster. I was dying for a wee and stuck in the middle of a row of seats with no possibility of getting out. In the end I was shouting at Frodo to set on the f'ing boat in hope they they would order me out of the cinema and I could have popped into the loo on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Avatar- It was just "Fern Gully" with a massive budget.
    Lord of the rings- 3 films to destroy a ring? good luck.
    Inception- Too long and confusing. I'm not afraid to admit I didn't understand it at all :o

That's all I can think of now :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

TheBody wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings Series. Utter sh1te.
    My feelings are hurt about all these affronts to Lord of the Rings! I can not get enough of that trilogy. Best thing is the Extended Addition box set with all of the omitted scenes included; I just think they're a mastery of film-making. From the revolutionary CGI they used (you know, they set up their own f-in' company so that the technology would be up to scratch?!), to the absolutely beautiful scenery, to the cinematic tricks to create proportion and scale in characters... I just thought that series was a work of art.

I'll admit that the whole Gimli/Legolas silliness was vomit-inducing at times and Frodo and Sam are made out to be a bunch of mincy losers. They are an excellent transition from book to film if ever I saw one, although they did Tom Bombadil an injustice by leaving him out. He was always one of my favourites, and where the story goes after his house is pretty crucial to the plot. They had to leave stuff out, I suppose. I could have watched five more hours of footage though, if it meant that it covered the entirety of all six books!

On another note, for everyone who has mentioned this, films such as "The Hangover" absolutely do NOT constitute 'Classic' films. You know the kind I'm talking about, "Juno" and "Knocked Up" and "Super Bad" and God knows what other crap people watch these days. I wouldn't play even frisbee with the DVDs.

Edit:
    Avatar- It was just "Fern Gully" with a massive budget.
    One better...
    Lord of the rings- 3 films to destroy a ring? good luck.
    It's not just plot-based. It's full of imagery, metaphor and beauty. I think what people don't understand is that it's drawn from a work of literary mastery, so when you sit down to watch it, you're not watching your run-of-the-mill reality-based film, you have to immerse yourself in a completely different world. It's like in Game of Thrones; people could go "aww why are the wannabe kings fighting, why don't they just divide up the land between them and each get a share" - there is too much grey area in the divide between 'good' and 'evil' for it to be as clear-cut as that. Anyway the ring wasn't even the important part of the series, it was the war.
    Inception- Too long and confusing. I'm not afraid to admit I didn't understand it at all
    Use this handy infographic. It's simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The new batman movie out now,The Dark Knight Rises.......I know its not a classic movie but everyone I know is goin about what a brilliant flick it is.

I thought it was ok.........not a patch on the previous batman movie with Heath Ledger.
    Be eaten alive for this, but don't think the Lord of the Rings trilogy is as good as some people make it out to be.
    Snowie wrote: »
    Batman the dark knight rises ......

such a bad film
    TheBody wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings Series. Utter sh1te.

A huge thumbs up to all of the above. The Dark Knight Rises and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy are both woefully overrated films. Not bad films at all, by any means, but the way some fanboys (and girls) of the films cream themselves over them is beyond a joke. LOTR is overly long and overblown and the acting from some of the characters leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

The Dark Knight Rises is a deeply inferior article than what went before it. It also features a complete lack of urgency of any kind (the action is dragged out over a period of months in the film) and the villain is not in the least bit intimidating. My main point in criticising the villain (Bane) was this: In The Dark Knight Rises, he brings Gotham almost to its knees with an entire army of mercenaries (led by JJ Jareau's weedy boyfriend from Criminal Minds) and a nuclear bomb AND it takes him months (in film time) to do this. The Joker in The Dark Knight does the exact same with a small gang of criminals, by robbing a few banks, threatening people and does it in a matter of days. Go figure.

Bane is also this HUGE muscly dude who looks like he could rip a phonebook in half, but where the makers dropped the ball was the voice. Man, it was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing at the ridiculousness of that stupid voice of Bane's. Who the hell thought that a wheezy, constipated-aristocrat voice was intimidating? Could they not have done a deeper, more malevolent voice á la Darth Vader or something??? Jesus...

Also, The Joker was a skinny, psychotic dude with bad makeup, greasy lank hair and a wacky purple suit. Yet he is infinitely more intimidating and enticing that this huge, muscled and intelligent terrorist. Surely this should not be so. I think that Bane was a massive loss for the film. He could have been so much better, but they tried to make him too realistic for the film, when the "Batman" series is supposed to be about suspension of disbelief, in fairness.

Also, I wish to mention my own dissatisfaction with Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Twin Peaks is a television series I believe that everyone should watch. Brilliant in every aspect and combines quirky humour with psychological horror and the supernatural. The film based upon it (and acting as a prequel) is deeply inferior, but again not an overly bad film, but just compared to what went before, it does not level up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Apoc now, just didnt get it at all.everyone sayingits amazing,i just dont get whats amazing.found it really boring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I just don't think I 'got' There Will Be Blood tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Citizen Kane

Tried a few times, turned it off. does not compute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement