Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At least seven dead at shooting at Wisconsin Sikh temple

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope the injured policeman pulls through. Sad to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

(CBS/AP) OAK CREEK, Wis. - At least seven people have been killed in shootings at a Sikh temple outside of Milwaukee.

The shootings took place at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.

Greenfield Police Chief Brad Wentlandt said multiple 911 calls were received this morning about a gunman or gunmen. He said the first police officer responding to the calls engaged an active shooter at the temple. The officer was shot multiple times, but returned fire, and the suspect, Wentlandt said, was "put down."

Wentlandt said emergency medical personnel have identified seven people dead - four inside the temple and three outside, including the suspect.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57486965/shooting-at-sikh-temple-in-wis-at-least-7-dead/?tag=contentMain;contentBody#postComments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

It says to the side of the story that the policeman is expected to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I heard this on the radio earlier and they said there may still be a hostage situation going on. Crazy stuff. Hope the cop pulls through aswell as any injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Yet they refuse to stop giving guns to every nutter of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Will save people googling it ........... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Wisconsin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not really the News story, that i'm referring to, as much as the comments afterwards, i have a couple of screenshots from a few minutes ago, but as i was making it, there has been an extra 438 comments (So far)

The comments are at the bottom

LINK TO STORY
    (CNN) -- At least seven people, including a gunman shot by a police officer, have been killed in an attack on worshippers at a Sikh temple in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, on Sunday, police said.
    The officer was wounded but "returned fire, and that shooter was put down," said Bradley Wentlandt, the police chief in nearby Greenfield, who briefed reporters. Investigators who picked through the building afterward found four bodies inside the temple and two other victims outside, plus the gunman, Wentlandt said.
    Though early reports had suggested there may have been more than one attacker, he said officers had not identified any other gunmen.
    The wounded officer, a 20-year veteran, was in surgery Sunday afternoon after being shot multiple times, but was expected to survive, Wentlandt said. He was sent to the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, after a 911 call about 10:25 a.m. (11:25 a.m. ET).
    Carolyn Bellin, a spokeswoman for Milwaukee's Froedtert Hospital, said one of three men brought there from the incident was in surgery early Sunday morning, while another was in the surgical intensive care unit. The third was being evaluated in the emergency room. All three were in critical condition.
    The temple has a congregation of 250 to 400, according to its website.
    "I just want to say this temple was built a number of years ago and there have never been any problems with this temple," Oak Creek Alderman Dan Jakubczyk said. "They've been a plus to this city and to my district."

Bearing in mind the people that were attacked, were/are Sikhs..

COMMENTS LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Already posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I read it as 'Sith Temple'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I started a thread about this afterwards, and to make matters worse accidentally double posted it. Could someone delete both of them, or show me how, please?

Anyway, Did anyone read the comments underneath the story on CNN?

LINK TO COMMENTS

Even the comments you think are being posted condoning it, are actually thinly veiled racism.. WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wouldn't be suprised to learn it was some ignorant redneck who thought he was shooting muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I read it as 'Sith Temple'

I find your lack of taste disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Wouldn't be suprised to learn it was some ignorant redneck who thought he was shooting muslims.

That was my first thought tbh.

The comments under the CNN story seem to point to it anyway.

goose2005 wrote: »

I honestly did read it as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

At least the cop took this nut out before he could kill more.

What's the net the gunman assumed they were Muslims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

goose2005 wrote: »

Was that a joker as well?

Sad to here, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My first instinct too. Would not be surprised in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just saw this, not been paying attention to the news today. An terrible crime. Must be an awful time for the families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Where's that video of the psychologist who says that every time a mass murder happens, another follows very close after because these insane idiots are "inspiried" by the media coverage. (Aurora and now this)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

It might sound harsh, but the less publicity these events receive the better. It's the only motivation for some of these psychopaths in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

The presidential candidates and senators need to take a stand against the easy availability of guns and change the law. Its crazy that anyone with id and no criminal record can buy a gun legally and kill many people. RIP to those dead, and sympathy to their families and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It might sound harsh, but the less publicity these events receive the better. It's the only motivation for some of these psychopaths in a lot of cases.

Or at least give less coverage to the perpetrators of the crime, and more to the people effected. When the thing in Aurora happened, the news stations gave about 5 trillion hours of time to the gunman, and very little to the victims. In their own f*cked up minds, it's probably like validation, and it glorifies these people to other messed up people. They pretty much turn these people into celebrities, and most people don't even know the names of the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

Despite such 'ignorant rednecks' being better armed than the Garda emergency response unit it's been 11 years since 9/11 without any such attack happening. At this stage it would be a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

B0X wrote: »
    Where's that video of the psychologist who says that every time a mass murder happens, another follows very close after because these insane idiots are "inspiried" by the media coverage. (Aurora and now this)

You mean this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gun purchases by Sikhs should skyrocket after this shooting. It’s all about self-defense against wackos, criminals, and government paid psychos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

mike65 wrote: »
    You mean this one

Scary. Media won't be quitting any time soon though, and so the cycle continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

indeed. There a stat floating around about the number of guns in Canada vs the US, Canada has much more, yet the number of shooting in the US is astronomically higher because it's constantly glorified in the media. Much like car chases too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

indeed. There a stat floating around about the number of guns in Canada vs the US, Canada has much more, yet the number of shooting in the US is astronomically higher because it's constantly glorified in the media. Much like car chases too.

But of course you can't find it. Because every time something like this happens somebody trots out some supposed statistic. How about not letting myths get ahead of truths in this thread? Not a hope. *steps aside and waits for the US bashing to get going*

Firearms homicides rates

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

The presidential candidates and senators need to take a stand against the easy availability of guns and change the law. Its crazy that anyone with id and no criminal record can buy a gun legally and kill many people. RIP to those dead, and sympathy to their families and friends.

Funny that in States where guns are legal, crime rates are *lower*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MadsL wrote: »
    But of course you can't find it. Because every time something like this happens somebody trots out some supposed statistic. How about not letting myths get ahead of truths in this thread? Not a hope. *steps aside and waits for the US bashing to get going*

Firearms homicides rates
    just something I've heard a couple of times before, but yeah, if actually look at it US has more guns and more shootings. make sense.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

myth busted I guess

The media point is entirely valid however, US glamorises and over reports on incidents like this continually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

You can't ban guns in the US because the right to bear arms is engrained in the constitution. Nobody's denying that more guns = more crime, but for the average Joe; the most effective way to protect against gun crime is to arm yourself.

Actor wrote: »
    Funny that in States where guns are legal, crime rates are *lower*.

Not quite, but there is some statistical trend on gun ownership vs murder rate.

Stats here - rollover the dots for the data from each state

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/visualizations/murder-rate-and-gun-ownership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

This isn't getting half as much media coverage as the Aurora shooting. Hmmm, wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

This isn't getting half as much media coverage as the Aurora shooting. Hmmm, wonder why?
    Half the victims maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably cos they is foreigners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Only in America, where it's legal to buy a gun and illegal to buy a kinder egg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Appearing to confirm what most users had apparently anticipated, eyewitness reports suggest the gunman was a white male. Again.

You really do have to despair for Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Actor wrote: »
    You can't ban guns in the US because the right to bear arms is engrained in the constitution. Nobody's denying that more guns = more crime, but for the average Joe; the most effective way to protect against gun crime is to arm yourself.
    No it isn't, it's the most effective way to misfire and injure an innocent person. Most people aren't particularly ready to shoot a person, this makes situations more volatile than less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

There were some great interviews around the time of the columbine shootings relating to media infamy, but Fox found a few people who were willing to blame Marilyn Manson so they stuck that on instead.

Most mainstream media is absolute poison, but the American outlets are particularly bad.

In short: the less people who ever remember that this scumbag existed, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

The presidential candidates and senators need to take a stand against the easy availability of guns and change the law. Its crazy that anyone with id and no criminal record can buy a gun legally and kill many people.

You should give it a day or two before you use it to prove a point...

Sectarian violence has been happening since there was religion, while someone going into a cinema, for a movie with high expectations and excitement, and randomly shooting people is rarer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Why is this news when it's a normal day in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The reason it's getting less coverage and that the thread in AH is not half as long is because of basic human empathy.

Most white people identity with other white people getting shot up in a cinema than a group of strange foreigners with turbans and long beards.

If this was a Muslim shooting up a church... It's sad yet inevitable to have one's lack of faith in humanity re-validated from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Full credit to the cop.

Getting paid to rush out and take on a crazed, murdering gunman in a gunfight is not a job for everyone. He surely saved lives. Maybe a lot. Glad to hear he's expected to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I don't know if this is still being taught in schools, but if you look at a globe an amazing thing will happen.
    You'll find that Wisconsin and Afghanistan aren't the same place. In fact, they're nowhere near each other.

It's like magic! Only, not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ex-US soldier suspect in Sikh temple attack

Some reports coming in. Looks like the guy was a Neo-Nazi racist, and they are treating this as domestic terrorism.

later12 wrote: »
    Appearing to confirm what most users had apparently anticipated, eyewitness reports suggest the gunman was a white male. Again.

You really do have to despair for Americans.

Because all Americans want this to happen, :rolleyes:

Irish intravenous drug use is the highest in Europe, you really have to despair for the Irish. See how that works.

Give it a rest, you are like a broken record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

MadsL wrote: »
    Because all Americans want this to happen, :rolleyes:

Irish intravenous drug use is the highest in Europe, you really have to despair for the Irish. See how that works.

Ah! I didn't realise this was a tu quoque exchange.

At least Ireland has a lower child poverty rate than the USA.

See how this works?

No.

Most of us lament for many aspects of Irish governance.

Do try not to allow a lament of American firearms abuse injure your sense of patriotism too deeply.

later12 wrote: »
    Ah! I didn't realise this was a tu quoque exchange.

At least Ireland has a lower child poverty rate than the USA.

See how this works?

No.

Most of us lament for many aspects of Irish governance.

Do try not to allow a lament of American firearms abuse injure your sense of patriotism too deeply.

Sorry, as to this exchange, I didn't realise it was a argumentum ad populum. See how that works?

As to patriotism, I'm not American or Irish, however I do recognise patronising comments when I see it, and tend to call them.

Whilst such events are tragic, mock "despair for Americans" is thinly disguised contempt. If you are genuine, I apologise - but something tells me I'm close to the mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement