Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pool or sea?

• 05-08-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Now, I know that a good number of people on here cannot swim. I apologise, this thread is for swimmers.

I have been swimming regularly (usually once or twice a week) at my local pool. Because it's a bank holiday weekend, I knew they'd have different opening hours today, but didn't get round to confirming them yesterday.
    So, this morning, I went to a nearby small cove instead, and swam in the sea. I think I will keep doing that for the time being, I enjoyed it immensely.

Here's the reasons why :

* No noisy, obnoxious kids, and all the space I could wish for
    * It's free
    * I don't come out reeking of chlorine, and I suspect the concentration of fecal matter is a good deal lower

The downside? It does take some determination to get in, due to the temperature.

So, AH swimmers... where do you prefer to swim? Pool or sea?

Where do you prefer to swim? 100 votes

Pool
    0% 0 votes
    Sea
    60% 60 votes
    Lake or river
    32% 32 votes
    I can't swim
    8% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Last time I took a swim in Irish waters the cold made my balls shoot so far up into my torso it took 3 months to get them back...

Pool for me, thanks. Preferably heated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I've a pool in my backyard and I much prefer that than swimming in the sea.

Sea is always busy in the summer and there's d!ck all sand around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The pool. Fear of jellyfish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The sea is great for that "bracing" feeling when you get into the water.:D

Pool for convenience - I go swimming at the times when there are likely to be no screaming kids around - that's why most pools now have times for adults only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The water in the sea is so cold and you have to walk to the water along what always seems like a mile of sand.

In the pool the water is at a nice temperature and I can go for a warm shower as soon as I'm done.

Plus theres icky seaweed in the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Thinly veiled I'm so great I can swim thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

both of them have people pissin in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The sea is great for that "bracing" feeling when you get into the water.:D

Pool for convenience - I go swimming at the times when there are likely to be no screaming kids around - that's why most pools now have times for adults only.

The pool here has adult-only times, but I tend to fnd them rather inconvenient.
    That's why I would usually go first thing Sunday mornings...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pool.

The sea off Louth where I am is supposed to be so bad, the running joke is that because of (Windscale - they changed the name partly because of the bad name it got) Sellafield, the fish alone glow in the dark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Definitely.
    But in the sea, the concentration would be far lower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The sea most definitly imho, you cant beat the feel of just dunking your toes in the seawater and just feeling nature :) Even if you just sit by the sea its one of the most relaxing and mind healing experiences you can get, just watching the sea roll in and out over the sand, the horizon and different islands etc on it and hearing the ocean roll in, you cant help but love it tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Hate chlorine-filled swimming pools. Plus in the sea you can jump the waves, that's always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Snooker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Get your own pool and don't piss in it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Pools are grand for swimming laps, but you can't beat a lovely little beach for a swim. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold water, but if you just make yourself do it, it's so rewarding :)

Oh, and cliff jumping is the shizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ill never set foot in a public swimming pool again after what Ive seen. I visit the pool about once a week, and had a full membership last year and by jesus its filthy!

good thing I only use the sauna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ill never set foot in a public swimming pool again after what Ive seen. I visit the pool about once a week, and had a full membership last year and by jesus its filthy!

good thing I only use the sauna.

They kinda gross too, sitting on a bench where someone elses sweaty ar&se sat before ya??? uggh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Can't beat the sea for swimming, especially when there's big waves to jump! The cold doesnt bother me but I hate getting changed on the beach so don't go very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Pantsface wrote: »
    They kinda gross too, sitting on a bench where someone elses sweaty ar&se sat before ya??? uggh

Its bone dry, and its not like its getting on anything but my shorts or towel etc.

i love the sea definitely as long as it has no jellyfish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its bone dry, and its not like its getting on anything but my shorts or towel etc.

It can seep through..... :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have really dry eyes and sea water feels like acid to them. Pity, because I loved the sea as a kid.

So pool it is for me. I just love being in the water either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I have really dry eyes and sea water feels like acid to them. Pity, because I loved the sea as a kid.

So pool it is for me. I just love being in the water either way.

get a decent set of goggles and your sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

maxfresh wrote: »
    get a decent set of goggles and your sorted

Yeah, am thinking of giving it another go. The last 2 times I got into the sea I also came out with a massive all over rash, and then fainted, so it's not just my eyes that are the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the sea.

I do like to relax by a pool though on holidays...maybe grab yourself a nice cocktail or something to have in the water...

Depends on my mood really.

Jumping feet first into huge waves and having them bowl you over is great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Either way you're swimming in piss and semen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mexico/Thailand/Seychelles, = sea.

Ireland, where the water its so cold, the 'you'll be grand once it his the balls' theory turns into you'll be grand once your out, fleece on, cup of soup in hand, snots stuck to the chin.... I'll take the heated pool thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nothing as invigorating as a swim in the sea :)

Found out recently BTW that Dollymount strand is the only blue flag beach in Dublin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

unkel wrote: »
    Nothing as invigorating as a swim in the sea :)

Found out recently BTW that Dollymount strand is the only blue flag beach in Dublin!

skerries donabate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Biggins wrote: »
    The sea off Louth where I am is supposed to be so bad, the running joke is that because of (Windscale - they changed the name partly because of the bad name it got) Sellafield, the fish alone glow in the dark!
    Not sure if that bit about the fish was tongue-in-cheek, but luminescence in marine life has nothing to do with radioactivity levels from Sellafield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,751 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cambridge wrote: »
    skerries donabate?

Yep both plus Potrane and Portmarnock

4 in Co. Dublin plus 1 in Dublin :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

unkel wrote: »
    Yep both plus Potrane and Portmarnock

4 in Co. Dublin plus 1 in Dublin :)

4 in dublin 1 in dublin city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Remind the episode of south park where everyone was peeing in the pool. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I try to kick start my day with a plunge in the 40 foot -i hate the initial shock , but if i miss it i become a little crazier than normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

the sea definitely. but I wear a wetsuit so it feels toasty warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

But, fish feck in the sea, and so do whales.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Definitely prefer a pool, nothing worse than washing sand out of your arse and hair for the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Love the feeling of jumping into a cold sea and enjoying a dip in a more scenic place than the local pool. You can't get away with anything there. I use it for exercise sometimes but the hot damp smelly air in changing rooms and cost in makes me pukey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Definitely in the sea, not the cold Irish ones, when I visit my daughter in Queensland I love to go swimming in the beautiful waters of the Gold Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Pool,usually.
    That said, I love swimming in the sea, as long as there's no jellyfish, or things that feel like jellyfish... fear of the unknown

Advertisement