Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roofing questions

• 05-08-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

Hi, at the moment we are building an extension to the back of our home and I'm doing most of the work myself. Everything is going pretty much according to plan thank god but now I'm on the roof I want to be sure of a couple of things before I proceed, first off the roof is at a pretty shallow angle as governed by the upstairs window so the maximum I could get is 23 degrees which I was told was ok for the roof tiles I'm using but my biggest concern is that yesterday we put the breathable. Membrane in and secured it with some staples and stating laths but we didn't get it tiled and today after an afternoon of heavy rain there are a few drips coming down. Now I know that in theory the water should never get down to the felt once its tiled but is it considered normal for this to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

This happens as the rain makes its way around the nails holding on the battens ,get the tiles on as soon as you can and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

jjf1974 wrote: »
    This happens as the rain makes its way around the nails holding on the battens ,get the tiles on as soon as you can and you will be fine.
    Thanks jj will proceed with peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Kev. Check out manufacturers spec on roof tiles before you batten out. I know that roadstone double roman tiles @ a pitch of 22.5 deg, will have to be clipped and a 100mm lap required. @ 25 deg they can be nailed.

NW
    Google what ever company you ar using and check out there specs on tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Have you considered something like this?
    I've seen it used on a couple of places with low-pitched roofs and it looks the part.

Not sure of prices or anything, but there is no hope of rain blowing in under it like there would with tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Thanks for all the replies! Roof is almost done now and the finished part remained dry yesterday during heavy rain, I'll get it finished and wait for some wet weather before I finish it inside, shouldn't have to wait for to long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement