Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi From Australia - Seeking advise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Thanks Kupus for a really insightful post. I will definitely take proximity to local hospitals into account (had a joyride in an ambulance a few months back [all fixed now] and I was glad that it was only a short journey then).
    You seem to have indicated that West Cork is not well served with hospitals, as this area was within my target area I will have to do further research.

My personal knowledge from Cork to Dublin is a bit limited, I have traveled them but I cant offer any advice about living in those areas.
    The areas I highlighted I just happen to know very well. But other people like banna can help you with those regions

• Registered Users Posts: 34 doteen

It must be very daunting for you to try and figure out what to do. Are you moving to Ireland on your own or have you family coming with you?
    I am living in Mid Kerry, which is the south west of Ireland, in a town called Killorglin for 8 years and I love it, originally from Limerick, but there really is nothing like living in Kerry for scenery, beauty and beaches and golf courses if you would like to play golf.

Killorglin is lovely and quiet but very central, is close to golf courses and only 15mins drive to the beach. Its a quiet town in the winter and is quite busy in the summer months.

I would highly recommend you checking out Mid Kerry anyway and research Killorglin, you will not be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Paleo_Gardener

Many thanks for your response Doteen. I am on my own and I am finding it extremely daunting, I have been in the UK spending time with family for the last month. After living in Australia for 38 years I am finding things very different in the UK, I imagine that Ireland will be even more different. Bought a car here to tour around Ireland in which needs to go back to the garage under warranty on Monday. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Not sure.
    Thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Many thanks for your response Doteen. I am on my own and I am finding it extremely daunting, I have been in the UK spending time with family for the last month. After living in Australia for 38 years I am finding things very different in the UK, I imagine that Ireland will be even more different. Bought a car here to tour around Ireland in which needs to go back to the garage under warranty on Monday. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? Not sure.
    Thanks again,

LOL Is Aus full? Everyone else seems to be going the other way.

Ireland has some differences to England and is more like Scotland. There's Dublin and then there's the rest of Ireland as they say. Just as Canberra is different from Sydney different parts of Ireland have there own personality. It's difficult to say if you'll like it. I hated living in Dublin for the first few years - now I'm pretty happy. I think you just have to suck it and see and give it a while. Ireland would certainly be a bit more conservative than Aus and in some respects the UK as well.

Hi,
    You are not the first to question why move from Australia to Ireland. The fact that rural properties are affordable whereas they are not in Australia has been my motivation. I have found the UK so unfamiliar bordering on difficult and have thought that Ireland may be even more of a challenge. Have just retired, left Oz and arrived with family that I have not seen for ages. Need to integrate these changes before I arrive in Ireland. Can an old dog learn new tricks? Spending a bit more time than originally planned in the UK and chilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hi Paleo.

What is it about the UK you have found unfamiliar and difficult and are worried about with Ireland? As an aussie living in ireland for 5yrs now I might be able to reassure you.

mel.b wrote: »
    Hi Paleo.

What is it about the UK you have found unfamiliar and difficult and are worried about with Ireland? As an aussie living in ireland for 5yrs now I might be able to reassure you.

I had not been back to the UK for 25 years and had been away for a long time before that. Finding just about everything different to both the UK that I remember and of course Australia. I am now looking forward to Ireland in a much more positive light.

Advertisement